Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I delete my boards.ie account?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

stovelid wrote: »
    Nothing against any of the posters that want to leave (quite like them) but why not just, you know, stop posting.

Or post this in Help Desk where I assume it won't turn in to a oh no please come down off the ledge we love you chat.

Plus you'll both be back before the year (or indeed the month) is out if the usual trend of mawkish valedictorian addresses are anything to go by.

"Just stop posting" is something that's much easier said than done :p It's something I know I should do because I need a break from it but I kind of have willpower problems :pac:

And in fairness, I don't believe either of us posted as a "oh no please come down off the ledge we love you" thing - in fairness, all sunflower did was ask how to close the account and all I did was tell her how (because I had asked the same thing myself over in Help Desk earlier that day), and then after that we just responded to other people who were asking us things directly. I guess I should've ignored them.
    No offence but why would anybody sign up for something that facilitates anonymous abuse and then publish a link to same from a massively busy site where they are well known?

Personally, I think it's interesting to see what people will say when given the opportunity to do it without having to accept responsibility. Most of the time, it's either positive or neutral stuff. And 'normal' abuse I can handle and is what I got for the first while. But what I got after awhile wasn't just 'normal' abuse but stuff that was very personal, stuff at a level at which I haven't experienced more than once or twice in the entire time I've spent being incredibly open about myself on the internet (over a decade now :eek:).

I'm still not going to close it, or make it so I have to know who's posting. But I do want to make whoever is making this personal to stop making it personal, and if that means going under the radar on boards for awhile to stop provoking it I can do that. I probably need the break anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

No offence but why would anybody sign up for something that facilitates anonymous abuse and then publish a link to same from a massively busy site where they are well known?

I sound like an admonishing grandfather, I know....

Having read some of the questions and answer like "How many boardsies have you shagged and seeing that it was even entertained and answered... all I can say is>>>> :eek:

I dunno but that is not a good recipe for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

liah wrote: »
    "Just stop posting" is something that's much easier said than done :p It's something I know I should do because I need a break from it but I kind of have willpower problems :pac:

Wasn't having a go at you and I hope you stay, btw. Just meant that sometimes we can all be tempted to indulge ourselves in a swan song (that lets the bullies off the hook and deprives us of the good things about boards) instead of neutralizing them either by ignoring them or reporting them.
    "
    Personally, I think it's interesting to see what people will say when given the opportunity to do it without having to accept responsibility..

Recipe for disaster letting some of the malcontents around here vent without having to stand behind at least a user name. In a strange way, being so interested in what others think of you may suggest that you could be inclined to take negative and horrible comments more closely to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm still not going to close it, or make it so I have to know who's posting. But I do want to make whoever is making this personal to stop making it personal, and if that means going under the radar on boards for awhile to stop provoking it I can do that. I probably need the break anyway.

The first thing you should do is delete your sig. You're still leaving yourself open to more people abusing you while it's still there. If your account is going to be closed anyway you should just delete your sig now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I don't get you Liah.

You don't need to go under the radar if you just close it or restrict it. I don't mean to sound harsh with you and maybe it's just cause I am much older than you, but you are being somewhat idealistic and naive here. If you are getting personal abuse, close the damn thing, problem gone. You have the solution to your own problem.

Anyway, I wish Admin would step in on this issue and ban users from linking to Formspring from their Sigs, as it's about the tenth time I have heard users complain about the damn thing, with regards to abuse. It's only a matter of time before something serious happens and a user is bullied on it, does something stupid and Boards gets a portion of the blame, as the user only had a link to it from this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's 4 people on this thread who have had problems with abuse on Formsprin, given a few of the trolls that can post on here from time to time and they are relatively identifiable, a sig like that is honey to them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Still doesn't solve the issue of the certain posters who like to follow me around threads just to counter everything I say :p

people actually do that?

fukin sad

OutlawPete wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Don't I know it, Pete :p
    You don't need to go under the radar if you just close it or restrict it. I don't mean to sound harsh with you and maybe it's just cause I am much older than you, but you are being somewhat idealistic and naive here. If you are getting personal abuse, close the damn thing, problem gone. You have the solution to your own problem.

Well I kind of feel that I need a break from the whole thing anyway, this is just the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. I don't think I'm being particularly idealistic in expecting abuse there to die off after a spell of silence on my end here.
    Anyway, I wish Admin would step in on this issue and ban users from linking to Formspring from their Sigs, as it's about the tenth time I have heard users complain about the damn thing, with regards to abuse. It's only a matter of time before something serious happens and a user is bullied on it, does something stupid and Boards gets a portion of the blame, as the user only had a link to it from this site.

I don't see how any of the blame could possibly be attached to boards :confused: The people who run boards cannot possibly be expected to be held responsible for the actions of its users outside of the website, surely?
    Permabear wrote: »
    Liah, to be frank, if you make it clear (with lots of posted pics) that you're an attractive young single female, and if you post in your sig file "Ask me anything, completely anonymously," and if you give people the opportunity to say anything they want without having to accept responsibility, then, in my view, you are just setting yourself up for harassment and abuse. Most people will treat you respectfully, but 0.5 percent will not, and it's the latter element that you have to worry about.

If everyone treated others with civility and respect at all times, we'd have a perfectly functioning site with no need for moderators, infractions, bans, and the like—but in reality we need all those mechanisms to weed out the minority who join the site just to harass, or spew vitriol, or abuse other people gratuitously. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly and freely people can become nasty and vicious when they think they're in a pseudonymous or anonymous environment.

"lots of pics," are there really? :confused: No more than any other poster I thought, I haven't posted anything on there in awhile.

And again, I'm used to normal levels of harassment and abuse. I've been ridiculously open on the internet since I started using the internet, basically. And there's been plenty of opportunities throughout the years for people to become this excessive with it, but it hasn't happened more than once in a blue moon, and usually stops if I let things cool for awhile. I find it hard to write off part of how I am (being open and doing what I want where I want online) just because of one bad experience, you know?

Which is why I'm not leaving boards completely, but certainly taking a break or getting rid of this account entirely and starting under a new one. This isn't the only issue in my decision but it is a hefty part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

stupid-fry.jpg

"lots of pics," are there really? :confused: No more than any other poster I thought, I haven't posted anything on there in awhile.

yes, and other lads & ladies I know on this site have commented on it before.. in fact there was the suggestion that you and lia_lia battle it out, we were going to call it "one lia to rule them all" :p

In nearly 3 years.. I don't know. It just doesn't seem like a lot when there's usually months between each post. There's lads who post pics way more often than I do. I'm not sure how it's particularly relevant either - what do my pics/what I look like have to do with anything? I have a feeling I'd be getting the abuse with or without them.
    That's like leaving your house unlocked and saying "People have had many opportunities throughout the years to burgle me, and it hasn't happened yet." The problem is that it probably will happen someday, and so it's wise to take sensible precautions.

You're talking to a girl who grew up mostly in Canada and never had her door unlocked. :pac:

Jazzy wrote: »
    yes, and other lads & ladies I know on this site have commented on it before.. in fact there was the suggestion that you and lia_lia battle it out, we were going to call it "one lia to rule them all" :p

Well good to know I'm a topic of boards gossip. All the more reason to take a break frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Don't I know it, Pete tongue.gif

Touché tongue.gif
    Well I kind of feel that I need a break from the whole thing anyway, this is just the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. I don't think I'm being particularly idealistic in expecting abuse there to die off after a spell of silence on my end here.

Well, just change your name and dream it all up again.
    I don't see how any of the blame could possibly be attached to boards confused.gif The people who run boards cannot possibly be expected to be held responsible for the actions of its users outside of the website, surely?

No, but that's not how things work.

If it was Facebook or Twitter, then Boards would not get blame attached to them were something bad to occur, as the Joe Duffy callers would just focus on the Facebook and Twitter aspect of it all. However, this formspring place is smallfry in Ireland, with regards to the media and the majority of Irish people and so, should something happen a user who had an 'Ask men anything anomalously" link in the Boards.ie Sig, then the site that will be in the headlines should things go pear-shaped, will be Boards.ie, not formspring.

Personally, I just don't get why anyone would want to let anonymous people ask them questions. The world is full of enough crazy people that will ask things without having anonymity. That formspring site sounds like a verbal gloryhole. I would imagine it's quite popular with sadists. Sure look what people get up to on that Chat Roulette when unattended my consequence. The fact that the link is on Boards means that you want Boardsies to ask you questions, so then just stick a link in your Sig asking users to PM you with any questions.

At this very moment there are 1456 members on Boards, but there are also almost 4000 lunatics, serial killers, space monkeys and people who think Springsteen is not a genius - do you really want those sort of people asking you questions? My advice, only let registered users of Boards and Facebook ask you questions and even then you can't be guaranteed that you will avoid fruit loops, but it's some layer of protection at least.

activeusers.png

Well good to know I'm a topic of boards gossip. All the more reason to take a break frankly.

its not so much gossip as it is ppl noticing things. gossip would infer interest, of which there is none other then 2 girls who have handles of lia like posting pics of themselves in a similar manner. i know, the excitement never ends

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thats similar to saying dont dress provocatively because if you get raped its your fault.

Its not the responsibility of boards.ie to moderate that site, you can be rest assured in this case that 99% of the abuse that is received on formspring is from the traffic of this site.

As i see it, posting on formspring is like posting on youtube. You take your life in your own hands and essentially have to put up with the nonsence of warriors that cant get laid and are frustrated by their lack of social skills.

I dont see the point of closing your account. If you do not wish to post, delete any info you have of yourself and reset your pasword to fdnbvkfdnbs[dknbs' and you wont be able to log in again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Permabear wrote:
    I'm in my forties and I got it... :p He's joking with you BTW. Bit in bold + pic = faux jokey suspicion. Kinda like this smiley <_< >_>
    Liah wrote:
    I'm not sure how it's particularly relevant either - what do my pics/what I look like have to do with anything?
    With respect L I think you're being very naive if you think that. Of course it has something to do with it. On the interweb anyone that stands out, and more if a woman is likely to get more attention. Simple as. Doesn't have to be pics either. Women with perceived strong opinions also stand out and can also attract that minority of oddballs and twats and on occasion bullying behaviour(not just oddball men either BTW).

[Grandpa simpson voice] I do think the younger generation can be very naive on this score.[/Grandpa simpson voice]. For all sorts of reasons. Straightforward naivety because they forget posting pics(or even opinions) online is akin to putting your pic on a billboard or shouting from the rooftops. You're broadcasting to the world. The first two W's in WWW are a clue. I've noted the older posters tend to be more reticent about posting pics. I suppose because we didn't grow up with the interweb as background noise. It grew with us and we had more time to adapt IMH.

Second reason can be the attention it gets us. The feeling of recognition and bolstering of self esteem. The Hot or Not factor. Nothing particularly wrong with that either. Most of us have done it in real life face to face situations. Again with the web comes the problem of scale. In life we may meet a few twats in a year. Most people are actually sound out. It's only a minority that aren't(and they may only be that way a minority of the time), but again with the scale of the web you're more likely to attract them.

Third reason, folks still on the learning curve of social interaction. We've all been there to some degree or other at some time or other. Hell I know I was and thank god the web wasn't around when I was 18. Jesus :eek:. I was enough of a gauche gobshíte without it(shut up down the back). :D And my screwups weren't pickled forever in hard drive heaven either. I think some of us older types forget about our own pasts and how silly and naive and daft we were. None of us came fully formed as adults. Well except those boring beige bastards one occasionally meets and such meetings are enough to remind one a learning curve is good. :)
    Thats similar to saying dont dress provocatively because if you get raped its your fault.
    Yes and no. Certainly from my standpoint, the bullying twat or twatess is still a bullying twat or twatess. I would just exercise normal caution online as I would in real life. People I think forget that in this medium for the above reasons.
    Its not the responsibility of boards.ie to moderate that site, you can be rest assured in this case that 99% of the abuse that is received on formspring is from the traffic of this site.
    +1
    As i see it, posting on formspring is like posting on youtube. You take your life in your own hands and essentially have to put up with the nonsence of warriors that cant get laid and are frustrated by their lack of social skills.
    +2
    I dont see the point of closing your account. If you do not wish to post, delete any info you have of yourself and reset your pasword to fdnbvkfdnbs[dknbs' and you wont be able to log in again.
    How the fcuk do you know my password!!:eek::mad: Post reported. :D
    OutlawPete wrote:
    Personally, I just don't get why anyone would want to let anonymous people ask them questions. The world is full of enough crazy people that will ask things without having anonymity. That formspring site sounds like a verbal gloryhole. I would imagine it's quite popular with sadists.
    I agree in a big way OP, but neither of us are in our teens or early 20's. I could well see myself on similar back then. Or not. Not beyond the realms though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yes and no. Certainly from my standpoint, the bullying twat or twatess is still a bullying twat or twatess. I would just exercise normal caution online as I would in real life. People I think forget that in this medium for the above reasons.

Ah, yea, i know that there is a responsibility to take precautions and use some common sence, however, i think one shouldnt have to hide their face if they're pretty because of dickheads on the internet.

If that theory is correct, phasers must be a supermodel.

*starts fapping*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Maybe it is a good reason. You are complaining about unsolicited attention and yet you have four pages here of people talking about your experience on boards and you have all these links that invite people to view you, to contact you, etc, and lots of photos that you post.

You have completely openned yourself up to it. If you are going to exhibit yourself, this kind of stuff happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

snyper wrote: »
    Ah, yea, i know that there is a responsibility to take precautions and use some common sence, however, i think one shouldnt have to hide their face if they're pretty because of dickheads on the internet.

If that theory is correct, phasers must be a supermodel.

*starts fapping*
    Alright, who blabbed?

Maybe it is a good reason. You are complaining about unsolicited attention and yet you have four pages here of people talking about your experience on boards and you have all these links that invite people to view you, to contact you, etc, and lots of photos that you post.

You have completely openned yourself up to it. If you are going to exhibit yourself, this kind of stuff happens.

All I'm doing in this is answering people's questions and clarifying when I think people have got me wrong. It's hardly attention-seeking behaviour ffs, I'm only being polite! It is not my fault other people are posting in the thread, and I'm not going to just ignore people's input when they've offered it, it's rude. The only reason I posted in this thread was to offer assistance to someone. What is the big deal with that?

And again, there's plenty of lads who post way, way more pics than I do but I doubt anyone has any judgment of them. I do the exact same things a lot of other posters do at the same rate as they do, what is with the air of judgment? I really don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I disagree, more people than laih have received abuse etc and are not as "open" so I dont think its fair to blame her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

We are entering 'blame the victim' territory lads. And I might add that the problem of relevance is on this board, not that other yoke.

pretty girls get more attention then random blokes. in the magic land of no dickheads on the internet its all well and good but as was stated earlier, there has to be rules, mods etc for a reason. also pretty girls get judged and annoyed by people far more, such is life

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Nodin wrote: »
    We are entering 'blame the victim' territory lads. And I might add that the problem of relevance is on this board, not that other yoke.

I don't think anyone is blaming the victims, but you can protect yourself and personal responsibility to do so should not be overlooked.

I do however agree that what happens on other sites by boardsies or others is of no concern to us here. We can only do something if it happens on our patch of the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jazzy wrote: »
    pretty girls get more attention then random blokes. in the magic land of no dickheads on the internet its all well and good but as was stated earlier, there has to be rules, mods etc for a reason. also pretty girls get judged and annoyed by people far more, such is life

Indeed, The regular poster with 3 id's got outed on a thread about good looking people, was so annoyed about somebody considering themselves good looking created a new id to add to their regular opinion, too much rope and caught.

It seems to annoy some people.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement