Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I delete my boards.ie account?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Just wanted to say, whilst this discussion is interesting on some level, I'm not sure how it is Feedback anymore? Are we even discussing a sitewide issue here. liah is free to do what she likes with her online profiles, people are free to advise her what to do with them and she is free, in turn to ignore or accept that advice but I'm not sure this is the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's no need for any victim-blaming (but in fairness I don't think there's much of that here) however it would be disingenuous to absolve you Liah entirely of having control over this. It appears the way you see it is that you have the right to put whatever you want in your sig, whatever pictures you want up here, post whatever you like about your personal life, and not experience harassment as a result - and I think you're absolutely right. As long as you're not giving others grief, you should be able to do those things without getting grief. But unfortunately, that's not the way the world works. Unfortunately, as long as you continue to be, as Novella puts it, an open book, you are inviting crap. You're not inviting it voluntarily, but you're still inviting it.

I think the way you bare your soul without anonymity is quite admirable and brave, but at the same time, not advisable, because here is not a safe environment for it, particularly if the consequences cause you stress and upset. I know what you're saying about others who do similar stuff not experiencing as much badgering, but because you have strong opinions, you research them well and you aren't afraid to debate, you are resented by some - all of these factors: the pictures, the links, the posting style... are a recipe for a negative reception. It sucks, and it shouldn't be the case, but it's an unfortunate reality, and too difficult to police. Don't take it too personally - it's not Liah the person these folks have a problem with, it's Liah the internet presence. If they met you in real life, they would probably be very different people to you. I'm not criticising the fact that you post real life material - that is your business, I'm just citing it as part of the problem here.

I don't think you should capitulate to that sort of vitriol by checking out of here - I do think you should however do what it takes to disempower those hassling you. Please try not to take the feedback here as an attack on you - it's not. The people harassing you are the ones at fault entirely, but only you can deprive them of the opportunity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Since the original poster's question has been answered and this is now a discussion on one poster, I'm closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement