Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 480 vs 6950 2g

Options
  • 13-06-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Trying to decide between a GTX 480 and a 6950 2g for my next card. It is only these two as I am trying to pick them up second hand. The GTX 480 is a faster card at stock from what I understand but very little in it if you flash the 6950.

The other important factor is my CPU is a phenom II 965, and would I be getting the most out of the 480 with this CPU. I was reading this week that the 6950 2g would be the best match for the quad core phenom chips. I am just wondering if anyone has these cards whats their opinion on them and which they think is better. Forget about Nvidia vs ATI :)

Its a 24" full hd monitor too so nothing too stressful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Given a choice, I would go for the 6950 - the 480 is power hungry and hot. It might be easier to find a 480 at a good price now with the 5xx series around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've never used any of AMD's 69xx series, but the 480's heat issues are over-done to the point of annoyance on most forums (Nothing personal Monotype). I've had a 480, OCed to 800 on the stock cooler, and it never went above 85°C. As for power... who cares, really? We're talking about an extra €5-10 a year here, at most.

I tend to slide towards NVIDIA, because I'm usually of the mind to get the most powerful single GPU I can, and for the most part, NVIDIA takes that. Eyefinity is a nice feature though, but my final vote would have to be for the 480. The 6950 might perform pretty close when flashed, but when you OC the 480... not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Ya power and heat don't bother me too much. I have the PSU to run it. Its like this in all the forms I see comparing these two cards! 50/50

I am leaning towards the 6950 mostly for the fact that I have an AMD setup and it is enough power for me. And also I dream of making use of the eyefinity :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

which would be the better card for eye candy :-)?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

which would be the better card for eye candy :-)?

I admit it is certainly a factor in my decision!

• Advertisement
Advertisement