Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer circuit - some bulbs not working

Options
  • 13-06-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi

So I have a (twin) dimmer circuit with 4 spotlights (Par 38 80W screw type). Some time ago, one of the bulbs stopped lighting. I don't use the room that much, so I just resolved to buy a bulb next time I was in the shop. I duly did that and went to replace the bulb, but the light still wouldn't come on. Each dimmer switch controls two bulbs, and the other one in that part of the circuit worked fine.

I assumed that I must have a loose connection in that light socket or something, so I decided to try the original bulb in a different socket, where it duly worked. So the bulb isn't blown. I had a look at the socket in the ceiling and couldn't find anything obvious in the way of loose connections. At that point I just put back in the bulb and resolved to come back to it later when I had found out what the problem might be. I'm ashamed to say I left it that way for the last year :rolleyes: As I said, I don't use the room that much and 3/4 lights were working.

Now another socket has stopped working - I now have one working and one non-working light on each dimmer switch :o
    So I've decided it is time to do something about it. Any suggestions as to where I should begin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Are you buying the correct type of lamp (bulb)? Are you buying dimmable ones?

Did you try using the lamp that's currently working in the fitting that is not working with the lamp you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

Hi Marcus

Yes the bulbs are the correct ones for the fitting. Also, yes, have tried the different bulbs in the various fittings. All bulbs work in fitting A. None work in fitting B.

Just wondering whether I need to be looking at the switch, the fitting, or something else entirely. I'd also like to get a handle on why it might have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

DeDoc wrote: »
    Hi Marcus

Yes the bulbs are the correct ones for the fitting. Also, yes, have tried the different bulbs in the various fittings. All bulbs work in fitting A. None work in fitting B.

Just wondering whether I need to be looking at the switch, the fitting, or something else entirely. I'd also like to get a handle on why it might have happened.

problem is deffo at the fittings
    have a look to see if the bulb is screwed firmly home(there is a centre pin which should make contact with the centre of the bulb)
    there are also 2 side pins which should contact the side of the bulb
    sometimes either the centre pin or the side pins can become dislodged from contacting the bulb
    see can you readjust them back into position
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/CERAMIC-ES27-E27-SCREW-bulb-heat-lamp-holder-lampholder-/320585742107?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item4aa466371b#ht_1453wt_905

REMEMBER TO TURN POWER OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ImBoredDotIe

you said you checked the connections at the ceiling for the lamp which is not working. They may be fine but you might want to check the connections at the lamp which is working, the switch wire could possibly be loose at that fitting

Advertisement