Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has E3 changed your opinion on the 3DS?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

About two weeks ago I was very tempted to trade in my 3DS. My problem is solely to do with the lack of software for it. I think the hardware is good and I've enjoyed the elements that are secondary to gaming like Streetpass. But as a gaming machine it has been a massive letdown.

Now I knew going in that it would be a slow start as the launch titles were poor but I thought we'd get something quicker than we have. I decided to wait till after E3 before trading it in. I'm glad I waited now.

These four trailers look like they will be Day 1 purchases. Thankfully at least two of them are slated for 2011. I know they nearly all Mario titles but they look like quality games.

Has E3 changed your opinion of the 3DS or where you satisfied already?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yep, the line-up of First-Party games looks very good. Super Smash Bros can be added to the list too, which should be out next year. But what the long term outlook for the console has yet to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I can't believe someone would want to trade in a 3DS already. The console's life has barely begun. Of course there's going to be a lack of software. That's the way every console release is!

So you'd pretty much have owned your 3DS for the period where there was no games and then traded it in as everything was about to be released. Silly!

Those videos look awesome. I cannot wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

Dman001 wrote: »
    Super Smash Bros can be added to the list too, which should be out next year.
    It'll be starting development by porting Brawl in the next couple of months.
    Expect it for "holiday 2012" at the earliest, but that's a massive epic long wide deep shot at that.

NoE sure have bungled the whole eShop/Club Nintendo/e3 Trailers so far...
    Not inspiring me with confidence in their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/09/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

Thankfully it isn't looking like a port, but a new game. TBH if it was another port, you'd start questioning Nintendo's originality and effort into making games for their portable systems. I don't mind port's if they are done right, but you do want a bit of originality when it comes to big, First-Party games.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tkeane

I wished Iwata didn't announce the new Super Smash Bros. until development has actually gotten into development. It is is going to be a long wait til it launches.

To be honest, I was expecting much more 3DS announcements. The only new first party game was Luigi's Mansion 2 (which I can't wait for).

With the Wii U, I really wished they had gameplay videos of actual games (I am talking about first party games) and not just tech demos which makes me think that it will not launch til late 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I will be getting a 3ds for my gf for Christmas. I'm hoping for a price reduction by then since it's way too expensive at the moment. There will be some great games available by then so I expect it to be a top seller if Nintendo reduce the price by about 50 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

There will be some great games available by then so I expect it to be a top seller if Nintendo reduce the price by about 50 euros.

Maybe second hand, but not brand new, if anything the price of the console will go up - some really popular titles will emerge in the Christmas rush - and Nintendo will take flack because you can't get a 3DS anywhere as every child wants to play it. Cue segment on Late Late Show and talk on Joe Duffy. It has happened every few years for the last few Christmas seasons, there is always that game or console or handheld that everyone wants and few can get.

I remember when I got a Nintendo DS a few years ago, had a friend who worked in HMV, they got 10 in that morning about a week before Christmas and I arranged to have it picked up. Unreal how fast they went - officially sold out by 9.05

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Besides Zelda:OoT (out this friday), I'll be getting Resident Evil Mercenaries on July 1st

It's meant to be coming with a demo of Resident Evil Revelations as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

smokingman wrote: »
    Besides Zelda:OoT (out this friday), I'll be getting Resident Evil Mercenaries on July 1st

It's meant to be coming with a demo of Resident Evil Revelations as well :)

Going to pick this up aswell even though I didn't like RE5 on XBOX 360 thought it boring but on a handheld it should be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

If anything, it'll be hilarious to see everyone that just dumped their friend code into the other thread, without adding anyone else, scramble to get peeps to add them when they want to co-op in Mercenaries - the first game besides SF4 that will have online multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Another two titles and Nintendo'll have my money once more. The Mario titles never fail, and I appreciate Mario Kart going back to its SNES roots with more
    reliance on skill than random items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I tried the 3DS once in game after it came out and the 3D affects appeared not to work for me :( (I do not perfect vision but I do wear glasses)

Games I tried were the lego game and face riders

So no :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

E3 got me excited about the 3DS again, the Mario titles look great and there is a it of energy about it now. My financial situation is utterly dire at the moment so I won't be making any purchases this side of Xmas but I'm at least enthusiastic about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

We knew those games were coming.
    I didn't expect them all at the same time though.

What can they do for 2012 and 2013?
    All they have left is smash bros. probably in 2013 or very very late 2012 at the earliest, animal crossing, and luigi's mansion will probably be out next summer or there abouts.
    More old revivals? :-\
    Pokemon? Not so soon after black&white surely, unless they bring Grey to 3DS.
    Pikmin? I doubt they'll do anything to bring that to 3DS until it's on WiiU.
    In fact, the WiiU console will probably cause a lot of droughts for 3DS since they'd sooner do metroid wiiu and zeldo wiiu than 3ds I think.

If anything e3 2011 should have you a little worried for 2012 and beyond.
    What can they offer us then when we've played mario kart, mario 3ds, ikarus and the others they're releasing for Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If anything e3 2011 should have you a little worried for 2012 and beyond.
    What can they offer us then when we've played mario kart, mario 3ds, ikarus and the others they're releasing for Christmas?

Image if they created some original games! But that won't happen, this is Nintendo right?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

I know it's not strictly a nintendo title, but when sonic generations gets released on the 3ds later on in the year, it will add to the list of games that are worth playing on the system.

There was a good article on IGN recently about what N64 remakes they would love to see on the 3ds (seeing as it seems to be going that way eg. OOT&SF64).
    http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/117/1176906p1.html

Personaly I would love to see Donkey Kong 64 and Conkers Bad Fur Day on the 3ds. Yes I know MS owns Rare but look at what they did with diddy kong racing for example.

What I would love to have happen though is for Rare to work on a new title for the 3ds, however having seen their recent contributions to the market eg. kinect sports and viva pinata I fear that my expectations are set far too high.

Advertisement