Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Cork-Dublin Bus info needed

Options
  • 13-06-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Going to be moving to Dublin soon and given the price of petrol i wont be driving back when spending the weekend back in Cork with the aul doll :p

I know Bus Eireann is cheaper than Aircoach by a few Euro but i have heard many stories of the Bus Eireann bus taking up to 6hrs sometimes with all the stops it has to make.
    Is the aircoach much faster/ does it have as many stops?

When is the best time to get the cheap trains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

I got the aircoach yesterday.... Took bout 3hrs 50mins each way... Bus was packed both times.

Not ideal but train isn't worth the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Car, Plane/Train, Aircoach, walk, Bus Eireann in that order.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Basically differences between Aircoach and Bus Eireann are

Bus Eireann is a little cheaper both for singles and returns.
    Aircoach has Wifi whilst Bus Eireann does not
    Bus Eireann stop at Josephines whilst Aircoach stop at a garage/shop. Both have toilets.
    Aircoach is half an hour or so quicker.
    Aircoach services each way at 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm.
    Bus Eireann services at 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm.

Really depends on what times are good for you and if you value Wifi over saving a few quid. I'd strongly advise booking online for Aircoach though, normally you're able to get on no problem, but sometimes it does fill up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I'd advise booking trains online - at some hours of the day you can get 10euro single fares. I got on the "direct" bus to Cork with Bus Eireann as they had filled one bus already which was set to make all the stops - still took the bones of 4 hours somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

t1mm wrote: »
    I'd advise booking trains online - at some hours of the day you can get 10euro single fares. I got on the "direct" bus to Cork with Bus Eireann as they had filled one bus already which was set to make all the stops - still took the bones of 4 hours somehow.
    same thing happened to me,
    and on top of it all i had a randy old couple on one side of me, and a guy quizzing me on "the hills of mallow".......im not from mallow but he still deemed it appropriate to ridicule me as i "never leave the city"...i nearly replied smartly that if i was to leave the city it wouldnt be for mallow :rolleyes:

i had to hold my tongue the whole way down, longest bus ride, id never do it again.
    air coach, train, plane, even walk before you go with bus eireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

I have family in Dublin so often I go up and always by Bus Eireann. Always been comfortable, busy during Summer, 22 euro return and 12 euro single. It does stop off a bit and from Cork to Dublin it's 4.5 hours but I find if you have a book or music it's a pleasant journey, nice few hours of peace and quiet. If someone sits down and has a natter just open your book! The only quip I would have is that the bus is every two hours!

Advertisement