Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children, Pubs and Communting

Options
  • 13-06-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

we are looking for a place to raise a family (schools , safe etc.) but is close enough to Dublin to commute on public transportation ( the less stress the better). Other thing is I have always had this dream of owning a Pub or restaurant. My dad was in food service my whole life and i learned everythign from my grandma. I just like cooking for people seeing them happy and in some way and in some small little way taking care of people ya know... being apart of a small community where people care ( like I do)... my Dream is a dream obviously not happening in the short term future (if at all) rolleyes.gif

Any suggestions??biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

i moved from dublin to dunshaughlin 4 years ago. i really love it here! everyone in the shops/pubs knows my name its a lovely little village everyone is so friendly. The bus service is great too, and there is a train station in dunboyne :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Loughshinny might be worth a look it's a nice little fishing village with one live in pub called "The yacht" that is up for sale as far as I know and is on the bus route.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

fergal.b wrote: »
    Loughshinny might be worth a look it's a nice little fishing village with one live in pub called "The yacht" that is up for sale as far as I know and is on the bus route.:)

Loughshinny is a nice spot ok. Its on the 33 route and is in need of the Yacht opening again. Apart from the pub there is also need for a shop to sell the essentials.

Most villages in North Dublin are fairly decent IMO but loughshinny has what you are looking for,a good primary school, 2 seconday schools within 2 miles, a pub that neds an owner, 20 minutes from city, on bus route, growing population and decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Going by the title of this thread, I clicked into it because I thought it was going to be about people in the commuter belt who leave their kids in pubs while they're at work!! :pac::pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Best bet commuting-wise would be rail, which leads to the following areas in NCD:

Malahide - expensive - plenty of pubs/restaurants
    Donabate - can't say I've spent enough time in and around Donabate to comment much
    Rush and Lusk share a rail station, although it's a bit of a trek from Lusk, and I would guess you really need to drive to the station from Rush
    Skerries - plenty of choice, both schooling-wise and pubs/restaurants
    Balbriggan - again plenty of choice

Each area has it's own character, and you are best spending some time in the towns to get a proper feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

First place I thought of when reading the post was loughshinny. Nice community. lovely area with a nice beach and nice views of the surrounding area. The community could definitley do with the pub opening again. If memory serves me right there are 3 bars in the yacht. The bar, lounge and upstairs. Upstairs possibly ideal for serving food. No competition for this type of thing in the immediate area at all. Done right, this place could be ideal.

I think there used to be a small shop next to the yacht as well but im not sure if this would be part of the same building. Loughshinny like Leo has mentioned could do with a small newsagents to sell the essentials.

Other towns like Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush and Lusk which are all nearby may also be worth looking into. All have Rail or bus services and some have both in the town

A little bit of info for ya

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/sport/other-sports/end-of-an-era-as-yacht-bar-is-forced-to-close-1932148.html

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/theyachtmurtymahon.html

Advertisement