Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you do the OL paper for the Junior Cert... URGENT!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

i did my jc few months ago and they asked what level i did , i said i did ordinary but i was ment to do higher , would i get into trouble and is there any consequences to it ? please replay to me its urgent

I don't completely understand your post but because it's worrying you, I'll try to work out what's wrong. Firstly, I presume 'they' you mean your parents - if you told them you did ordinary when you should have done higher, I'm sure they want the best for you and if the higher level was stressing you out, I'm sure they will be happy for you to take ordinary level. There are no consequences for changing level - when you do the leaving cert - you can change level on the day. I hope this helps. Remember you were doing your first state exams and it can be stressful but enjoy the rest of your summer and best of luck with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm guessing you're worrying that having done OL in a subject for Junior Cert, you may not be allowed to do HL for the same subject in the Leaving? It depends on the individual school, and is something you'll have to discuss with your teacher when the time comes.
    If it's your parents you're worried about, tell them you panicked on the day and went for the OL paper because you were feeling nervous. Explain to them that you're glad it happened in the Junior Cert because you've learned from the experience and it will help you keep calmer for the Leaving. If they make an issue of it, there's little you can do really - what's done is done.
    You can sit any paper in any state exam at any level you choose - there won't be any consequences from the State Exams Commission or anything like that.
    Stop worrying, it'll all be grand!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The supervisor of your exam should package OL papers together and HL papers separately. If your paper mistakenly went off with a load of HL papers, when the corrector for that subject checks their package, it will have been sent on to an OL corrector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danielius120

no the thing is , i was ment to do higher level but i picked the ordinary paper and dint even say i dropped down to the supperviser in the state exams , would the SEC give out to me for doing ordinary level and not telling the supperviser that i dropped down at the acctual exam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

no the thing is , i was ment to do higher level but i picked the ordinary paper and dint even say i dropped down to the supperviser in the state exams , would the SEC give out to me for doing ordinary level and not telling the supperviser that i dropped down at the acctual exam

At JC, the supervisor would have had you on the list as entered for Higher. How did you get an Ordinary paper if you didn't indicate to him/her you wanted Ordinary?

The SEC won't be giving out to anyone. Your only possible problem might be if you wanted to do HL for Leaving and your school has a policy where you must do HL at JC to do HL at LC. If you did well in the OL paper, this may not even be an issue.

• Advertisement

she called out ordinary and higher , and we needed to raise our hands if we did ordinary or higher level , and i dont want to do french again for leaving so i new subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

There will be no consequences - you're worrying about nothing.
    Just enjoy the rest of your summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

No, you won't get in any trouble. It's nothing to do with the supervisor what level you were supposed to be doing.

Relax.

Have a chat with your teacher when you back to school about what level you you want to study at in that subject going forward .

Edit: i see your not intending to the subject for leaving, so you don't need to chat to your teacher about what level going forward.

thank you so much guys , you really did make my day , i could not sleep last night i got so worried about it , my friend said i can get into big **** cause its classified as cheating in his mind ( i dint not cheat whats so ever , i wanted to go trought the test as fast a possible) thank you again

thank you so much guys , you really did make my day , i could not sleep last night i got so worried about it , my friend said i can get into big **** cause its classified as cheating in his mind ( i dint not cheat whats so ever , i wanted to go trought the test as fast a possible) thank you again

Your friend is winding you up. :D It is in no way, shape or form cheating. Don't mind them.

• Advertisement

You might need a foreign language for some college courses, so just be aware of that.

a forgreign Language , im from lithuania and my first languege is lithunaian so i think im set

a forgreign Language , im from lithuania and my first languege is lithunaian so i think im set

Puikus!
    Make sure you get some classes closer to the Leaving. Don't just rely on speaking it at home or watching Lithuanian TV. Read novels, good newspapers etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

PJelly wrote: »
    Surely a school can't refuse a student taking a level they want to?

This is my experience of it anyway. If a student choses to do a subject in 5th yr and gets their subject options then I they have the right to whatever level they want, irrespective of the JC or what the school 'recommends'. A teacher can't force a student to change levels if they don't want to (and parents are siding with the student).

If it were possible then I think the converse should be possible i.e. a student doing honours is forced into ordinary because a teacher fears they wont get the honour (typically happens during the mocks with borderline 40%ers).
    OP, you may find that a school will make you state your case and maybe talk to the honours teacher and assure them you'll be putting in the work, not disrupting the class etc.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    This is my experience of it anyway. If a student choses to do a subject in 5th yr and gets their subject options then I they have the right to whatever level they want, irrespective of the JC or what the school 'recommends'. A teacher can't force a student to change levels if they don't want to (and parents are siding with the student).

If it were possible then I think the converse should be possible i.e. a student doing honours is forced into ordinary because a teacher fears they wont get the honour (typically happens during the mocks with borderline 40%ers).
    OP, you may find that a school will make you state your case and maybe talk to the honours teacher and assure them you'll be putting in the work, not disrupting the class etc.

Op posted that 5 years ago. I'd say they are nearly finished university and the junior cert is distant memory. :D

Smondie wrote: »
    Op posted that 5 years ago. I'd say they are nearly finished university and the junior cert is distant memory. :D

There are more recent queries on the same issue.

spurious wrote: »
    There are more recent queries on the same issue.

More recent. ...from 3 years ago. The most recent posters issue is a different one.

They do not intend taking the subject for the leaving and were asking about getting in trouble for doing ordinary level on the day when they had been studying higher!

It's a frequently asked question. I'm sure the mods will close the thread if they feel it's necessary.

Advertisement