Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some advice..

• 13-06-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

HI guys,
    I have always been into motorbikes and I have finally decided to get a motorbike and get my licence at the age of 18. I have got an nsr 125 as my first bike, i'm only keeping it for a few months then will be getting a bigger bike. The only problem that i am having is that everytime i get an isurance quote it seems to be between €1700-€2000 and i am in college so i cant really afford €2,000 insurance.. So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any insurance companies for motorbikes that are cheap enough.?
    Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

quinn direct are usually the cheapest but starting off you can expect to be screwed...and ecpect that for a few years at least, i am 28 and have just started and i pay almost 700 for insurance alone never mind everything else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I went with quinn for my first year and paid 800.
    Went with adelaide for my second year and pay 450 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HI guys,
    I have always been into motorbikes and I have finally decided to get a motorbike and get my licence at the age of 18. I have got an nsr 125 as my first bike, i'm only keeping it for a few months then will be getting a bigger bike. The only problem that i am having is that everytime i get an isurance quote it seems to be between €1700-€2000 and i am in college so i cant really afford €2,000 insurance.. So I was just wondering if anyone knows of any insurance companies for motorbikes that are cheap enough.?

You made the fatal mistake of buying before getting a quote.

Since we only have 4 insurers (Quinn, Adelaide, AON, CaroleNash) and half won't quote you. There's not much to do but sell it or get some lessons and an insurance assessment to get the price down a bit, but it'll still be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

HI guys,
    So you can't get a reasonable quote on a 125 but you're planning on upgrading in a few months? Take it handy lad, theres plenty of time for bigger bikes down the line.

My advice; Sell the NSR and pick up a non sports 125, or 250 if you can insure it. Learn to ride, pass the test and work your way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

as said above probably the best bet would be sell the bike and get a low powered 125/250, at 18 your going to be rode on insurance.

i would be worth calling quinn and having a list of bikes get 3-4 quotes and see how you stand. in order to pass your Full A test you need a bike bigger than 150cc and if i was you i would be trying to pass the test A.s.a.p. because you get a discount on your insurance and with a good insurance assessment you could turn that 1700-into 1300 so to do that learn on any old bike something that you can drop and scratch without worrying and do your actual test on a school 250cc bike.

cbr125 might be cheaper but still expensive.
    cbf125 is almost the same bike but it's an F not an R so Quinn might consider it safer.
    yn125 is not a pretty bike for a youngfella but probably cheap anough to insure and would probably be the best bet to get you experience and not bankrupt you.

You also probably wont get insured on anything over 250 until after your 21 also so there isn't much of a ladder to climb i would find a bike that suits your needs even if it's nothing much to look at, it'll be worth it in the end, it seems that only after the age of 25 to the doors open to using any bike you want and unless you do insurance assesments or build up one hell of a NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Guitarist93

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I will take everything into consideration..
    The only things that i will say are
    1. One of you said i made a mistake of not getting a quote first but i did get a quote off quinn and they said just about 2000.. So i was just asking yee if you knew of any cheaper insurance companies haha..
    2. another one of yee said i should try pass my licence a.s.a.p and i can only pass it on something over 150cc.. This i knew but the new laws state that i cant apply for my full licence until i have been on the roads for at least 6 months and must have 16 hours of lessons done.
    So, i am planning to do the 16 hours of lessons on my nsr and then in a few months move up to a hornet 250 and go for my full test then.

Thank you everyone for the help and advice anyway and i will be taking all of the advice into consideration..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...So, i am planning to do the 16 hours of lessons on my nsr and then in a few months move up to a hornet 250 and go for my full test then...

You can apply for the test and postpone it until after your six months is up. That's what I did and I sat my test after 7 months and passed.

One thing that might be of concern to you is to whether someone who gives your IBT will throw-in the assessment free of charge? I'd wager that any rider who has done 16 hours of training would walk through an assessment.

I was with AON in my first year. They made me take an assesment before giving me cover at a reasonable price. As a complete novice, I got about 10 hours training and had my assessment done. I didn't even have the opportunity to practise.

My point is that it's not extremely difficult to become a competent rider quickly. I was able to get my dream bike (albeit restricted) after just a few months. I think you should ask Quinn how much the insurance on the NSR would be if you had a grade 2 assessment in your hand.

If they give you a good discount, it might be worth your while to the IBT/ assessment on a school bike before going for insurance.

Advertisement