Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAP

• 13-06-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

RE: CAP post 2013. How did tillage farmers manage in the last reference period if you didn't keep any stock? Did you get the single payment based only on tillage?
    Everyone is stocking up now more out of fear than anything else and it's driving prices to the North Pole.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Heard today that prices for a ewe with lamb at foot in Maam Cross (blackface) that would have made €125/130, were back to around €80. Hell of a drop if true, I wasn't there so can't confirm it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

If you had stock for the last reference period then your SFP was based on premiums claimed ie suckler cow, 10 and 22 month premium ,sheep premium, slaughter premium and extensification premium.

For tillage the premium was based on the area claimed ie number of acres of wheat, barley, OSR etc

For dairying it was on the number of gallons of quota held

For sugar beet, it was based on quota held.

All was added together to give each farms SFP.

I have doubts that the new SFP will be based on numbers as the reference areas are now established and it would take a huge input of manpower to police again. But with electronic tagging coming in for all animals i could be very very wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

5live wrote: »
    If you had stock for the last reference period then your SFP was based on premiums claimed ie suckler cow, 10 and 22 month premium ,sheep premium, slaughter premium and extensification premium.

For tillage the premium was based on the area claimed ie number of acres of wheat, barley, OSR etc

For dairying it was on the number of gallons of quota held

For sugar beet, it was based on quota held.

All was added together to give each farms SFP.

I have doubts that the new SFP will be based on numbers as the reference areas are now established and it would take a huge input of manpower to police again. But with electronic tagging coming in for all animals i could be very very wrong
    thats very interesting, on the gallons of milk quota held,... i have no chance of filling my quota again this year , so if it went on the amount supplied it would be alot worse for me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

That's an interesting theory 5Live re: electronic tagging. This is just the thing that the eurocrats like to implement. Let the computer do the donkey work.

E-tagging of sheep was ever only going to be the thin end of the wedge. In 5 years over 80% of ewes will be e- tagged and the rest will probably have to have boluses put in.

The same will come in for cattle. Its not a great stretch of the imagination as the first 2 digits of the e-tag is a species identifier so room for all species of farm animal.

It annoys me that farm sectors dont help each other. Cattle farmers were just glad it wasnt them instead of helping to prevent e-tagging. Now they are looking down the barrell of the same gun themselves. It will be interesting to hear them squeal when its their nuts in the vice:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what's the problem with e-tagging for cattle?

I can see the issues on the sheep side from a practicality, and being a new requirement thing, but with cattle what would it mean other than putting on a different tag?

they can track anything the might want through CMMS already with the non electronic tag.

an e-tag is just a computer readable tag is it not. they're not satelite tracking drones or anything

Nothing wrong with e-tagging per se but who is going to pick up the cost? You and me and anyone keeping animals.

And what net benefit to the consumer? None as far as i can see and as you already pointed out.

So we get increased costs added on for no benefit? Just so the dept can tick a box at inspection time and increase output by tag manufacturers?

Sorry johnboy i really cant see the benefits unless your cattle already tagged with transponders for feeding but for the average farmer.....???:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Ok, just cost, was wondering if there was some other issues.

Just wondering is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »
    Heard today that prices for a ewe with lamb at foot in Maam Cross (blackface) that would have made €125/130, were back to around €80. Hell of a drop if true, I wasn't there so can't confirm it.

I hope thats not the sound of another bubble bursting:eek::confused:

Advertisement