Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrought iron seat restoration

• 13-06-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I am restoring an old wrought iron seat that was out back. The timber lats were rotten so I took them out. I now have two wrought iron sides wire brushed. I will hammerite these I suppose. As for the new timbers, can I just use builders merchants pine lats? what finish would you use?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

may be a hardwood such as iroko would be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    may be a hardwood such as iroko would be a better option

Can't afford, also can't source anywhere in Northwest. Hardwoods are more and more for the Americans only, just too expensive in Europe now.

there not cheap but would last longer and far stronger. will 2x1 white deal be stong enough for the span of the bench?? could you source hemlock fir??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    there not cheap but would last longer and far stronger. will 2x1 white deal be stong enough for the span of the bench?? could you source hemlock fir??

no idea, are these hard or soft woods?

hemlock is stonger and has less knots. maybe ask a joinery

• Advertisement
Advertisement