Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing MiniDV for editing...

Options
  • 13-06-2011 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a lot of MiniDV tapes that I would like to import to my PC and eventually edit using Avid MediaComposer.

Unfortunately, my Camcorder is broken, but I do have a MiniDV tape deck I can use.

I'm guessing I will need to get a card for the PC and hook it up to the Deck.

Does anyone know what the best card or SW to get for me to do this.

Also, I think I would be able to import the media as QuickTime movies to Avid, is there SW I should get to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

OK, so I got a miniDV to Firewire cable and was able to import a tape using 'Windows Movie Maker' and now have an AVC file.

It's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hiya, been doing some converting and messing around with all sorts of video file formats.
    It's my understanding that an AVC file is the same as the H.264 which is the CODEC which = to mpeg 4 - mostly used for playing video on Blue Ray and also for streaming on the web.
    I've used AVS Converter - available on the net as a trial and it'll convert almost anything you can think of.
    I've no experience of Avid (Adobe Premier Pro) but you could convert your files to QT using that converter.
    If you want your stuff to go on DVD you want to convert to mpeg 2

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Hi Fionn,

Thanks for your reply, I'm only beginning to get my act together so no doubt I'll be messing around with formats myself soon!

I am either going to start using Avid Studio or MediaComposer although MediaComposer seems a bit intimidating to begin with. (I have access to a PC with MediaComposer, no way could I afford it!)

It'll be awhile before I put anything to DVD.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

looked at the prices on those links!

you'd need to be making a good bit of money to be justifying those prices :)

Advertisement