Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Slim - Cable Blocks HDMI Port

Options
  • 13-06-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was trying to set my surround sound up as I have done on my original Xbox but unfortunately the cable blocks the HDMI port, meaning I can't have both HD and surround sound at the same time.

My surround sound is quite old so doesn't allow me to stick the HDMI cable straight into that, so I presume that, short of hacking off the bit that's blocking the HDMI port on the back of the console, that Microsoft have purposely done this and I have to buy a specific cable to get both HDMI and surround sound at the same time?

If so, do you know which cable I actually need to buy, as there's lots of different types of them coming up when I search online and I don't really know which one I need?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

Is optical an option or are you just using analogue audio cables?

The slim has an optical out port on the console itself, separate from the A/V port. For analogue, the (overpriced) official HDMI cable pack has a narrow dongle for the A/V port that fits while HDMI is connected. Edit: here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCB_3DOz4

I mean your using HDMI so you really dont care about the cable do you (the old one I mean)

Failing that and you feel theh urge to spend money for pretty much the same thing http://www.amazon.com/Hdmi-Cable-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp/B001S5CCF2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Is optical an option or are you just using analogue audio cables?

The slim has an optical out port on the console itself, separate from the A/V port. For analogue, the (overpriced) official HDMI cable pack has a narrow dongle for the A/V port that fits while HDMI is connected. Edit: here

I guess optical would work.

If I used say, this cable:

mov-047350.jpg

Plugged one end into the back of the Xbox and the other into the ''Audio In'' on the surround sound (where I'd plug in my headphones for example) that would work, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

Should work if your surround system has an optical in port. I'd be surprised if your headphones use an optical connection, but if there's a port labelled DVD-in or minidisc-in that should do the trick. You'll have to tell the Xbox in the system settings that it's connected to a surround system too.

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Should work if your surround system has an optical in port. I'd be surprised if your headphones use an optical connection, but if there's a port labelled DVD-in or minidisc-in that should do the trick. You'll have to tell the Xbox in the system settings that it's connected to a surround system too.

Cheers. Yep, I had it all set up on the old Xbox so I know how to do the settings. It was all so much easier to set up back then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Hi Paully,

Is it the black wedge bit that is blocking the HDMI? I had the same problem, literally got a junior hacksaw and cut off the bit that blocks the cable, works perfectly

Hi Paully,

Is it the black wedge bit that is blocking the HDMI? I had the same problem, literally got a junior hacksaw and cut off the bit that blocks the cable, works perfectly

Yep, that's exactly it mate. Looks like I'll be taking the hacksaw out so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I had to do the same to use my turtle beaches with the HDMI cable. Sept I didn't have a hacksaw so I used a steak knife :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep, that's exactly it mate. Looks like I'll be taking the hacksaw out so :)

No need for a hacksaw.As the youtube link posted by calex clearly shows,the plastic enclosure can be easily split with a sharp knife and clips back together if you ever needed it to.I did mine ages ago and it works perfectly.It really bugs the hell out of me that some designer came up with the idea of this lump of plastic in order to squeeze another few bucks out of users.It serves no other purpose apart from trying to get you to buy another 'unnecessary' cable.

punk77 wrote: »
    No need for a hacksaw.As the youtube link posted by calex clearly shows,the plastic enclosure can be easily split with a sharp knife and clips back together if you ever needed it to.I did mine ages ago and it works perfectly.It really bugs the hell out of me that some designer came up with the idea of this lump of plastic in order to squeeze another few bucks out of users.It serves no other purpose apart from trying to get you to buy another 'unnecessary' cable.

Yep, but that's for the old Xbox plastic enclosure. I don't have that any more so is the Xbox Slim's plastic enclosure stronger or will it also easily come off with the same method?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep, but that's for the old Xbox plastic enclosure. I don't have that any more so is the Xbox Slim's plastic enclosure stronger or will it also easily come off with the same method?

Sorry man but can't help you there.I'm only speaking for the older 360.It easily comes apart at the seams and clips back together no prob.Wouldn't surprise me at all if Microsoft took measures to remedy this easy fix.Tight-fisted b'stards that they are.I'm sure somebody else can answer this for you.

punk77 wrote: »
    Sorry man but can't help you there.I'm only speaking for the older 360.It easily comes apart at the seams and clips back together no prob.Wouldn't surprise me at all if Microsoft took measures to remedy this easy fix.Tight-fisted b'stards that they are.I'm sure somebody else can answer this for you.

No worries mate. I went at it with a sharp knife and got the black wedge off anyway, it still doesn't fit with the HDMI in as I haven't sanded it down yet but it's almost there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Exactly what I did, works perfectly!

Advertisement