Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal imaging survey

• 13-06-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade insulation in my dormer, I am wondering has anyone got a thermal imaging survey done and would it be of benefit? Any idea of cost to get this survey done? Recommend anyone in the Mayo area? Thanks in advance.
    I am considering using an insulated plasterboard over the already skimmed and plasterboarded (already have 100mm of rafterlock between joists)sloped rafter part of the roof. Obviously this is going to cost so I'm hoping a thermal energy survey might tell me if my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

absowhoppingloutelly fapping waste of time and effort, no matter what smarty pants comes on telling you otherwise. Had to do a thermal appraisal of a massive commercial unit so got hold of a company with a totr imaging camera set-up, and guess what, more heat was escaping around the doors and windows than anywhere else. Well no sh1t sherlock. A four year old could tell you what the camera told - heat was escaping more rapidly from those areas with less insulation/poorer seals. Possible solution - increase the level of insulation and upgrade the seals etc. Go way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

In my experience, dormers are notoriously leaky houses and significantly more heat may well be escaping through lack of airtightness (convection) than through your wall/ceiling (conduction).
    You are correct to have some tests done first to determine the different heat loss mechanisms before you spend your money/time on upgrades that may not help much.
    A thermal imaging camera, in the right hands, is just one tool which may be useful. There are, imo, more tools which should be employed to do a proper heat loss survey of a building (blower door, trace smoker etc). Also don't ignore proper ventilation of the house as well.

Advertisement