Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first time using studio lights - c+c

• 14-06-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all, this pic is part of a college project I did recently, my first time shooting in a studio. It was more fun than I thought it would be, I'm not into fashion or studio photography generally but I have to say it was quite enjoyable... and difficult!

The model was shot in studio against a white background. The other elements are taken from various photos I shot afterwards (tree stump-moon-clouds etc.) All brought together in Photoshop. I suppose it's more correct to call it a collage than a "photo", but anyhow. I'm happy with the outcome overall but think that its maybe a bit flat or dead, especially her hair. C+C welcome!

large-fashion-map.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Wow thats a pretty awesome shot , Id have more contrast though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Loving the sfumato-like blending of the end of the dress. This is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Super work, really love the shot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Lighting is nice and soft and the 'shopping is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

This is nice, bit lazy in the photoshop department though that could be because the size! Can you link a bigger version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hey m-i-m-m-

Would you have any interest in doing a tutorial in the Workshop on how you achieved this look, from shooting to PP?

I, for one, would certainly be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Thanks for all the reply's lads, much appreciated.
    This is nice, bit lazy in the photoshop department though that could be because the size! Can you link a bigger version?

No problem here's a link, there's a zoom button just above the pic to the left, it brings up another screen where you can zoom in on the lower right :

https://picasaweb.google.com/110912146100466446904/Jun142011?authkey=Gv1sRgCOSsosiVmsTR9QE#5618081683541586226

This is where I started from, actually almost prefer this!:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110912146100466446904/Jun142011?authkey=Gv1sRgCOSsosiVmsTR9QE#slideshow/5618081696784589074
    Hey m-i-m-m-

Would you have any interest in doing a tutorial in the Workshop on how you achieved this look, from shooting to PP?

I, for one, would certainly be interested!

Emmm, an interesting idea. I have no problem sharing and would be quite interested in doing so. Only problem is remembering how I did achieve this look! My technique in Photoshop is sometimes 'attack randomly untill I achieve the look I want!' It's the same way I approach drawing and hard to explain to myself never mind others! I do have the psd with the layers etc. so I'll have a look, and if I think It's possible I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

did you try the bottom part (in red) in greyscale to see what that might have been like?
    It'd be interesting to see what a more graduated look on the tree would be like

nice photograph tho! well done!

:)

Fionn wrote: »
    did you try the bottom part (in red) in greyscale to see what that might have been like?
    It'd be interesting to see what a more graduated look on the tree would be like

nice photograph tho! well done!

:)

just did a bit there, greyscaled the bottom and added alot more detail. Any opinions, improvement or not?

fashion-manulpition2-finished%2525282%252529pisca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It's lovely :) I'd be inclined to try to bring up the light on the face though, and bring it down on the hair. And maybe the background a bit too. The face is a little lost at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

The updated shot looks even better imo. Although I'd go all or nothing with it, getting rid of the red completely and having it a B&W image :)

Extra detail looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I like the second edit better as there is less repetitive cloning in her dress. If you're going to keep the red you should tidy it up a little so that it's not on her arm and that it goes all the way to the top of her dress. There is also a little bit on her shoulder that's distracting.
    I like the background and I think you've done a great job adding other photos but the moon is too sharp for the perspective. If it was blurred a little it would seem less like an element what was added. All in all lovely lighting on the subject and a great concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

As Trigger said - more contrast for more punch. I'd also remove the moon - I find it distracting and a bit 3-wolf-moonish. It draws the eye away from the model - maybe blur it as Lynn says, might put it in the background sufficiently.

The cloning is better on the second one but it's still a little repetitive and doesn't totally sell it to me. I like the concept though, it's a nice effect.

i suggest not pulling the arse of one photo, take it again with this setup in mind, her stance is way too lazy for something so dramatic. It's like. "Hey....sup....I'm, like...a tree...or whatever"

Go for it with the piece in mind, arms up like a ballerina in a pirouette or something

Thanks fro the replys ppl, the advice re the moon is esp. insightfull and usefull.
    "Hey....sup....I'm, like...a tree...or whatever"

Ha, had a good laugh at this.. yup, does look a bit like this indeed, ain't no chance I'm re shooting it though :pac:! won't get a chance to use studio equipment again till next year.

Haha I wasn't trying to be rude but it has the potential to be rather epic and mystical but it could also look like a brown Thomas employee fell into a ravine! Also, I really don't think you need studio lights for this seeing as she'll be getting pp anyway, so long as you light up her hair and face your rockin! Grab a speedlite, wireless trigger and an umbrella,can't go wrong! Either way you should do some more of this style for sure, you have an eye for it already!

Advertisement