Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

And I can I just say, there's a huge irony in Joni Mitchell wanting to censor him. She has publicly advocated on the topic of Morgellons Disease having a physical cause, which most doctors say is a delusion/mental health issue. She's actually not following the CDC advice on that one. And it really can't be "I think we should all accept medical opinion, except when I think its wrong".

https://www.vox.com/2015/4/2/8330925/morgellons

I've watch a few Rogan podcasts, including one with Malone (who, whether we like it or not, is actually a doctor and not a pop singer). I see Rogan as just a competent interviewer, who helps the interviewee get out what they want to say. The impression you'd get from the coverage is that he's holding online Nuremburg rallies, spouting anti-vax slogans until his audience is hypnotised. It's nothing like that at all. He has an approach to interviewing that respects the ability of the audience to make up their own mind.

He's also interviewed Dr Sanjay Gupta, an orthodox advocate of vaccination, so its absolutely not one relentless message. The Gupta interview is actually better, IMHO; I don't find Malone convincing.

For my part, I absolutely feel Joni Mitchell has an absolute right to share her personal experience of Morgellons Disease, and her view that the medical profession don't get it. We can hear what she has to say respectfully, and make up our own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Still no comments from Joe on the controversy? I haven't seen him come out with any statement on this. I like his podcast but feel he has become quite irresponsible during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Id imagine Spotify and him are having meetings. Theres a danger here of a snowball effect. Its not like any of the musicians get paid by Spotify. Rogan gets paid millions and they get paid pennies.

Rogan is just allowing too much bullshit on the show. Whatever about the vaccine. Oliver Stone for example. Lie after lie about the JFK assassination went unchecked. Dozens of blatant lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

James Blunt coming out with a humorous response to the Rogan controversy

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jan/29/james-blunt-twitter-spotify-joe-rogan-podcast-neil-young

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

What were the dozens of blatant lies that Oliver Stone told?

• Advertisement

I don’t know, but I suspect the ones written into the script of his blockbuster movie on JFK.

It’s ludicrous this is a thing. Like, a couple of years back Neil Young was campaigning against GMO food. Because he doesn’t trust the science. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Here is Rogan aggressively silencing a primate expert on his show who called in to point out that he was wrong about something ridiculous. This is the 21st century world: famous and loud trumping education and knowledge. Note the sexism too.

Rogan is an idiot, and anyone who relies on him for knowledge on anything is also an idiot. What was it someone said - 'Rogan is a dumb person's idea of a smart person'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The recent Jordan Peterson was good, the 4 hours flew by. All Jordan Peterson's appearances on JRE have been excellent, they have a good back and forth and get the best out of each other.

He was on with Rogan a few weeks ago talking about his new JFK documentary. Rogan let everything go unchecked. Ludicrous claims from Stone that have been proven as false decdes ago.

Rogan : "Oh yeah sure I know thats true yeah" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Really thought it was Petersons most inconsistent performance. Couldn’t try through it all. His personal stories were interesting, I didn’t know he acted as a therapist of sorts but a lot of philosophy’s have become a bit bonkers.

• Advertisement

Can you tell me what these ludicrous claims that have been proven false are?

Strange that instead of answering the actual question the claim is just repeated but with slightly different words

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not a bad article below, although you could have some quibbles. Like, when they say "the false claim that hospitals are financially incentivised to falsely diagnose deaths as having been caused by Covid-19", the factual position is that US hospitals get paid more by the federal Medicare agency if a patient is reported as having Covid. So its more that folk are disputing the claim that paying someone more money for something is giving them a financial incentive.

All the time, I feel this is like if Joe Duffy interviewed Gerry Adams and maybe asked him if he experienced discrimination growing up in Belfast that might have formed his outlook on things, and let Gerry say whatever he has to say.

Then you read a headline the next morning saying "Joe Duffy advocates global terrorism".

I imagine it is difficult to get "disinformation quacks" to stick as a label though? After all it is not just some random tin foil hat jobs he is getting on to discuss these things. One of the Doctors he had on for example is - apparently - the single most published doctor in his field. The other Doctor he had on holds multiple patents for the creation of the very technology he was on discussing and questioning.

That does not of course mean anything those two doctors says is correct. People should evaluate evidence and reason - not names and credentials. It is still entirely possible some - most - or even all of everything both of these guests said is false or erroneous. That should be evaluated and their claims rebutted by other experts.

But mere dismissal as "quacks" is going to be a bit harder to do I think.

I agree there is very little I rely on Rogan for information on. At most if he says something I find interesting or surprising I will file it under "Check that out for myself later". And as I have said many times before - he is a man that is too easily moved by single anecdotes. You could put a literal stack of studies and reports in front of him and his response will often be "Sure - but this one guy I know - ".

But really the strength of his Podcast is that when you tune in you are not doing so for his opinion on anything. But that of his guest(s). Because with Rogan's podcast you get to hear a guest present their case for 3 or 4 hours - compared to the same guest getting barely 5 minutes on some traditional news media. You do not just hear a guests position on a matter - but all the reasoning behind that position - and often the personal story about how they were led into that field/reasoning.

I personally love long form conversation. And like him or not - Rogan is one of the best at it. But his success is recently promoting new people to not just enter the Podcast field but specifically the very long form version of it. So the more successful he becomes the more options you are going to get to vote with your feet and listen to "better" version of that conversation form. Even Sam Harris who I quite like as a debator and interviewer - usually barely breaks 1 hour with his guests.

But Rogan is genuinely good at what he does. Compare for example his interviews with Elon Musk with the Lex Friedmann interview of Elon Musk. Both were great and I enjoyed both. But in comparison Lex has the presence of a field mouse and I found his part of the conversation interesting but emotionally dead. Some of the questions sounded like they were being read out by a badly designed robot who had rehearsed the questions 1000 times and was even bored of them himself.

I'd love more great options - and I do enjoy Lex sometimes for example and quite like him as a persona and his very dry sense of humor where he will deliver a line totally dead pan that you think is serious but realise minutes later was actually hilarious. But like it or not Joe is really good as an interviewer and has a presence and charisma few in that field are matching.

Spotify make moves on Rogan COVID misinformation issue in the face of the issue gaining increasing momentum

Spotify: Streaming giant announces plans to clamp down on Covid misinformation

Spotify says that it is working to add advisory warnings to any podcast on its platform that discusses Covid-19.

CEO Daniel Ek said that the new warning will redirect users to a data hub of coronavirus facts.

The move follows criticism of its work with Joe Rogan, a US podcast host who has interviewed vaccine-sceptics.

The platform also published existing rules which bar the streaming giant's contributors from sharing false information that could cause harm.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Ah "advisory warnings" :) The worlds best way to do nothing while claiming to have done something hehehehe.

I see Rogan just released a video response himself - during which he also said he is thinking of adding such warnings.

More interesting though - is he said he will work to do better with his scheduling so that if he ever has a controversial guest on any subject - he will try to shortly later have a rebuttal guest spot on. That is actually a material and useful change compared to the mere placation of an "advisory warning".

Which I think he has not done so much in the past. I can think of two examples off the top of my head when he had guests from both sides on regarding some Netflix documentary about meat eating - and another time when he had two guests on related to some other aspect of diet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How anyone can listen to this and think. Yeah I'd love to listen to 4 hours of this asshat.

Hes the walking talking definition of bro gym science with a microphone. It's steroids on radio. Absolutely painful to hear. Nothing more than shock radio.

If you think listening to long-form unedited conversation is shocking, then yeah I suppose it is shock radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

A doctor who worked on the mrna vaccine is a quack and you'd take an aging drug addled hippy over him?

Nuts.

Hundreds of people worked on mRNA technology over decades.

That guy that you're talking about is very heavily discredited for spreading disinformation and falsehoods during the pandemic and has been banned from social media platforms as a result.

Even a small child could figure out the current story on that guy if they put two minutes into looking into him.

Like a bit of Rogan, can pick and choose depending on guest. Some real interesting conversations especially with athletes and outdoors types.

I'll admit he's no giant of the media like Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubs etc....😀

As for Neil Young, pathetic...

Sure. Below for starters. The JFK reaearcher Stone uses is called James di Eugenio who uses the same theories from most of the JFK movie. Which was based on two nut job researchers in Jim Marrs and Jim Garrison. The documentary just rehashes all of those theories.

I've no issue with Rogan though. People take him far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,025 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

my favourite rogen moment was asking mike tyson if any of his kids want to follow in his footsteps in boxing, tyson laughed hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Feels like you've never heard shock radio. The point of which is to say outrageous things and shout down and talk over your callers. It's actually not very appealing tbh it's actually no different than listening to the Daily mail or the enquirer read out loud. Ooo what's he gonna say next... Oooo...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How come with both the articles you quote you say "disinformation" yet in the actual article (one even quoted by you in bold) it says "misinformation"?

that's your whole point?

very much semantics but changed it on my post about the spotify climbdown to appease!

With that Malone guy it is disinformation

I've heard plenty of shock radio. Howard Stern and the likes back in the day.

I just don't see how you can put Joe Rogan in with the likes of that. Granted, I only listen to episode which feature people I have an interest in, but I can't see how you would equate the two.

• Advertisement

Well then

Spotify: Streaming giant announces plans to clamp down on Covid misinformation

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60192957

Advertisement