Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trailers of Duke Nukem - 1998 to 2011

Options
  • 14-06-2011 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Really is something when you watch them back to back.

1998 e3 trailer:

2001 e3 trailer:

2003 e3 trailer:

2006 e3 trailer:

2011 launch trailer:

Come a long way baby.
    Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

In fairness, they all look like they would have been great craic to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wasn't there something that the 2001 footage was completely fabricated? As in what you see was created specifically for the trailer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Wasn't there something that the 2001 footage was completely fabricated? As in what you see was created specifically for the trailer.

Yeah, the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the 1998 game looks like the only decent one amongst them. although 2003 did at least look pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the 1998 game looks like the only decent one amongst them. although 2003 did at least look pretty
    Agreed. If they released it in 2003 it would've been good. Graphics would probably have not been too bad back then, I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. If they released it in 2003 it would've been good. Graphics would probably have not been too bad back then, I think?

It would have been torn to shreads in 2003, and rightly so.

Compare DNF from 1998 with Unreal 2 released in 2003:

50135_DNF-Screenshot-19971998-04.jpg

Unreal_2-02_1_.jpg

50144_DNF-Screenshot-19971998-13_normal.jpg

Unreal2_05.JPG

EDIT: Unless you're referring to the 2003 one? I think the trailer looks pretty scrappy, I don't think they would have had anything properly playable at that point. Looks like they'd just made another engine move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

What's up with the weird glitch at the end of the 2006 one? The guy seems to be just levitating the brush in mid air. The Conan O'Brien lookalike seems to be suffering a stroke or something at the start as well. How did they think that trailer was presentable?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TomCo wrote: »
    Unreal_2-02_1_.jpg

That clevage was the first thing i got to see on full detail when i got my new pc in 2003...£800 well spent :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3D Realms have said that the mock ups for 1998 and 2001 were faked.

The 1998 trailer was basically a load of concept bits that their coders threw together on Quake 1 while they were waiting for the Quake 2 engine to arrive. The 2001 trailer was totally scripted since they barely had a game at all at that stage due to the engine changes. Those 2003 and 2006 trailers look quite flakey. Even now the game looks like it's running on the Doom 3 engine, it has a bang of Quake 4 about it with the lighing effects and overly shiney specular maps and texture pixel shaders. It really does look like a relic from 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Even now the game looks like it's running on the Doom 3 engine, it has a bang of Quake 4 about it with the lighing effects and overly shiney specular maps and texture pixel shaders. It really does look like a relic from 2005.

The entire game just reminded me of a game running on the Doom 3 engine with it's textures.

This game was nowhere near as fun as those trailers had made it out to be. They screwed around and completely mucked this up, the game doesn't even feel properly finished.

Really expected this game to be a behemoth of ideas that we saw from those trailers released years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TomCo wrote: »
    EDIT: Unless you're referring to the 2003 one? I think the trailer looks pretty scrappy, I don't think they would have had anything properly playable at that point. Looks like they'd just made another engine move.
    Aye, referring to their 2003 trailer. Looks a bit crappy, but I'd say the target audience wouldn't have "grown out of it" by then? At least then they could've at least finished the DNF project, and maybe moved onto a new Duke project?

Advertisement