Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station

Options
  • 14-06-2011 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

What does an Irish person need to buy an Australian sheep or cattle station and which part is warmer or colder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what visa do you have?

also 'which part is warmer or colder' .... part of australia? part of NSW/VIC?

you'll need to expand if you want answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Think you're dreaming mate! Have you done any research on this? The smallest cattle station in Australia would make the average Irish farm look like a garden. The biggest is bigger than Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its also bloody hard work.

There is a reason its a father/son business. I dont think its something you can drop into.

I would start working in one for a few years to understand the differences between Aus/Ireland farming before you commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

I know how big they are and all the work involved I don't have any visa I just want to know can you just buy it or do you have to be a citizen and by hot and cold part I mean which has the coldest summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

The further south you go, the colder the weather. Desert areas have cold nights. I don't believe you need to be a citizen to buy property but you need to have a visa which gives you the right to live and work in the country if you want to live and work in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think this is fast heading for the too hard basket

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

the dee wrote: »
    I don't believe you need to be a citizen to buy property

Yoy don't have to be a citizen but as far as I know it is much more difficult if your not at least a perment resident. i.e 457 visa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

There's a big difference between buying property like a house and buying a business like sheep farm without a permanent visa.

Buying into a business like that is $$millions upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Why would you buy a farm in Oz?
    I meet loads of farmers on the verge of suicide over there. No rain for six years, wind/sand storms, bush fires, cattle/sheep taken by snakes ticks etc. $8million in dept and cant afford to walk of the block. Only get into a small village once every few months for the shopping and pub trip. Never seeing another human being for weeks on end. Limited internet/mobile coverage.
    I'd rather buy one in NZ!

Ohh don’t forget no government subsidies compared to Ireland in either country!

Must also mention that when it does rain it floods!!!!!

Advertisement