Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Friendly Housing in Dublin

Options
  • 14-06-2011 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am moving to Dublin in August to attend veterinary school at UCD! I am coming from Los Angeles, California and have been researching the Ireland rental market, but am still a newbie at the whole thing. I am bringing my 3 dogs with me and could use some advice on finding a flat to rent near campus. My dogs are very well behaved and perfect house pets. They are all older, easy going, and quiet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on finding pet friendly housing in Dublin? Would it be possible for me to find a place that would allow 3 dogs? Is it possible for me to do any legwork here in the US prior to coming to Dublin? I have looked on a few of the rental sites like daft.ie for places, but of course I am a bit far out to be serious in my search yet. I would be moving probably mid to late August.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Especially if you know of pet friendly rentals! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I think you are going to have difficulty with three dogs, sorry. What is your budget? A house is more likely to allow pets than a flat. Maybe a house share with one or two other vet students?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Welcome to Ireland. Bring some sun with you if you can, we're a bit low here. To search for rentals one of the best websites is Daft.ie. You can search through available properties under specified criteria, one of these being "Pets Allowed" so you filter out any properties that do not accept pets.

Be warned, it can be difficult to find properties that do allow pets. For example, the number of properties on that website in the Dublin South region for under €1,000 a month is 856. When you filter the properties that allow pets you're left with 48 properties.

If you find a property you like it would be worth ringing the landlord to ask if they will accept your dogs. You may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Finding an unfurnished place might increase your chances too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 devyn

Thanks for the replies! I am looking for between €500-800 per person. It would be nice to find someone to live with and I am trying to network with other vet students to see if I can find someone to share a house with as I do think it might be easier to find a house to live in with 3 dogs. It is hard coming from the US and not knowing anyone. I am sure I will have an easier time once I get to know people finding roommates to live with and I might have to live by myself now.

I would definitely prefer a furnished place as I will not be able to bring my furniture with me and don't really have the budget to re-buy everything, but I guess I would consider unfurnished if I had to.

I will try to bring sun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Most places here are furnished, which is why LLs aren't too keen on animals -they wreck the furniture! It would be hard to find an unfurnished place. Your other option would be to be a lodger ie a place with a live-in landlord who loves animals - but they'd probably have their own animals already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Googilish

Well your not the only one who is having problems finding a place in dublin who will allow pets in it. I'm finding it realy hard to find something that alloes one dog most of them are saying that the property is eitger too small for dogs in other words they just don't want anny. The best thing you could do is look for sharing houses some of them do allow but it woun't be anyware near your collage.

Anny way besy of luck finding something

P.S if you do find one give me a shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Keep looking is my advice. I'm renting and have several dogs and other pets and my landlord does not mind at all.

Even when I was looking, any landlords had no problem when I mentioned it. Of course I went to see the properties first and then after the landlord had met me, I brought up the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Did you inquire as to importing Dogs into Ireland from America? Last information I had was that the dogs all have to be chipped and vacs upto date with written proof and then would have to be quarantined for 6 months here.

Maybe things have changed recently but this was the case a few years ago.

Im sure you have checked but it might save you some heart ache.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

Another option is to email the veterinary programme office and ask the programme officer to email students or put a notice in the vet college as often there are vet students living together that might have a spare room in a houseshare that wouldn't mind having pets.

I just finished studying veterinary in UCD and got a few emails over the years regarding people looking for a room like you, and most of them found other vets to live with and had their pets with them. That's only if you want to share a house and not live on your own. If you've any other questions about veterinary in UCD feel free to PM me by the way!!:)

Knine - so good to know you have multiple pets and rent! I have been looking at daft.ie and found many places that are pet friendly. I have emailed a few of them and so far no one has had an issue with me having 3 dogs. I just have to wait until I get there to actually rent them and they might not be available by then.

Keno - Import regulations have changed a bit and there is a Pet Passport now. If you are from a qualifying country as long as you follow all of the health requirements then your pets can come into Ireland and they do not have to be quarantined! =) So I have definitely checked into everything and my dogs will be ready for import following all of the rules for the passport.

pinkdaisy - so cool that you just finished studying vet med at UCD! Congrats! I will definitely contact the school and see if they have any ideas or can put my info out there for people looking for roommates. I am definitely more than willing to share housing with other vet students. I may very well PM you if I have question about the school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Great news about the pet passport, and best of luck with the move :)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grainne1981

I've been looking for a place in Dublin for the last week - I have a puppy - I've spent so much time on Daft and emailed lots of people however I haven't even gotten one response yet . I reckon you'd want to give yourself lots of time before college starts to find a place - what's wrong with these landlords , everyone loves dogs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've been looking for a place in Dublin for the last week - I have a puppy - I've spent so much time on Daft and emailed lots of people however I haven't even gotten one response yet . I reckon you'd want to give yourself lots of time before college starts to find a place - what's wrong with these landlords , everyone loves dogs
    Stop emailing people and start picking up the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

what's wrong with these landlords , everyone loves dogs

Are you serious :confused: While people might like dogs, it doesn't mean they want them in their houses. Some dogs will never cause problems, others damage furniture, gardens, carpets etc and leave smells/hair behind long after the tenant moves out. To say nothing of complexes where pets are prohibited by contracts signed at purchase - most apartment developments for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stop emailing people and start picking up the phone.

Agreed. I don't know if it something to do with the Daft website in particular, or just lazy realtors, but I had eff all luck last year getting people to contact me back after I emailed them.

I got much, much better results picking up the phone. That is easier said than done for someone who lives an 8 hour time difference away from Ireland, but that's just how it is.
    Originally Posted by grainne1981 viewpost.gif
    what's wrong with these landlords , everyone loves dogs

Rubbish, absolute rubbish. The Irish in general are no where near as pet loving or pet accepting in general as US folks are. Add in the fact that most Irish rentals come fully furnished & land lords have an added incentive not to let to pet owners, as their carpets, soft furnishings, furniture etc etc can get rapidly get trashed if they do.

Every pet owner thinks that their little darling is the most loving, adorable and well behaved critter on the planet. Sadly, the reality is far from the case if you are the person charged with the day to day realities of proving a roof over their heads.

OP, find somewhere unfurnished if you can, and if possible, somewhere rural, a bit further out from UCD with a big back garden for the dogs to run around in. It gives you much, much more wiggle room when it comes to landlords pitching a fit over your dogs potentially wreaking the house. Which given your rather unusual (for Ireland) circumstances, a lot of land lords will presume that they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lls tend to be difficult re folk who keep their dogs inside. We were told several times to chain ours up outside.

We refused of course.

Our present house has minimal and old furniture which cannot be damaged; our choice. We kept the settee they were going to throw out..

NB please do not take a house or flat that you have not seen or that someone you know very well and trust has seen. Rose coloured glasses are often part of a lls fashion wear.

Met a man yesterday who had three huge Irish Wolfhounds in the car. Not Irish; they sleep on a four seater settee..

Just an FYI - I posted this topic a year ago so it looks like someone bumped it up.

I moved to Ireland mid-August last year and stayed in a hotel with my dogs for about a week and a half whilst looking for a place to rent. I found that very few places advertised that they were pet friendly and it was best to go see a place and then once they got to know you then bring up the dogs. If I called on the phone and asked most people would turn me down straight off the bat. Also I had a lot of people turn me down for being a college student which I thought was quite interesting - I had to explain to a lot of people I called that I was a mature student and would not be throwing parties, but studying a lot. I only had to see a few places before I found the perfect flat that is only a 15 minute walk from UCD and my dogs were welcome. My dogs are old and very well behaved, do not bark, so I think that helps sell them to a landlord. They sleep the majority of the day. Needless to say the LL is more than happy to have me stay on another year and I really love my location! So it can be done... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jennifer Keogh

I wonder has your LL any more properties my daughter is urgently looking for rental either sharing or on her own she has 2 well behaved dogs. Her relationship has just broken up so she does not want to part with her doggies

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ninjabe86

Hi Devyn

My gf is starting her Ph.D in UCD this Sept. She is looking for somewhere close by that is pet friendly. Could you tell me if the LL you are/were with is still taking tenants? Sounds perfect. Could you possibly PM details of LL?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Elaine_S

Hi Devyn!

I'd really appreciate if you could PM me your Landlords details/property location too!

If all goes according to plan I'll be in the same situation as you were next year!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement