Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously waning standards

Options
  • 14-06-2011 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, some advice please, if you think you can offer it.
    I went into work last sat. I reported for duty at 0630. And I met with the chef of the restaurant of the hotel in which I work, vomiting into the kitchen bins. Then preparing food, then vomiting again into the kitchen bins. Incredibly he was not sent home. I was astonished and disgusted to have to continue to work with the food that he had prepared, and was put in a seriously morally difficult situation, since there were lots of oblivious customers innocently chomping away at what could have been contaminated fare.

It was a particularly busy day. The porter didn't report for duty until around three hours after we actually needed him, and even then did barely nothing helpful at all.
    The bins were overflowing in the kitchen, crockery and cutlery piled up, and basic chaos in the kitchen.

What would you do. ?

It's not even funny at all is it? And yet there were people standing around in the kitchen joking about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's pretty gross.

What's your position there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Em...I can safely say that if someone was getting sick anywhere near food that I was expected to eat, I'd be sending it back. Vomit is highly, highly contagious with all sorts of things (yuck, yuck, yuck). Have a relative who contracted jaundice clearing up after a child in her class got sick a number of years ago (she's a teacher). Sorry bout the graphics, but there it is...:eek:

As Eoin says, what's your position there? Don't the people who own the place know that they could have the HSA down on top of them like a ton of bricks if customers report being ill due to their meals there??

It's not a bit funny. At all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Well, it goes against all HACCP rules, which is a requirement in the food industry. If you're vomiting or have diahorrea, you're not allowed work with food for 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I would seriously consider reporting the incident. It's too late however a visit from the authorities may give them the fright thats needed. You should be able to do it without letting them know it was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

This is as far from a joke as one can get :mad: Not only are people at risk of contracting whatever stomach bug the chef had, but it could threaten the LIFE of someone frail or a person with immunity problems.
    I would report this premises asap to the health authorities. There is absolutely NO excuse for the people in charge (including the chef) to let this happen. It flies in the face of all HACCP rules and regulations. If they think they can get away with this, what else are they doing?
    My stomach is still roiling after reading this post OP :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Guys, some advice please, if you think you can offer it.
    I went into work last sat. I reported for duty at 0630. And I met with the chef of the restaurant of the hotel in which I work, vomiting into the kitchen bins. Then preparing food, then vomiting again into the kitchen bins. Incredibly he was not sent home. I was astonished and disgusted to have to continue to work with the food that he had prepared, and was put in a seriously morally difficult situation, since there were lots of oblivious customers innocently chomping away at what could have been contaminated fare.

It was a particularly busy day. The porter didn't report for duty until around three hours after we actually needed him, and even then did barely nothing helpful at all.
    The bins were overflowing in the kitchen, crockery and cutlery piled up, and basic chaos in the kitchen.

What would you do. ?

It's not even funny at all is it? And yet there were people standing around in the kitchen joking about it.

What the customer doesnt know wont hurt him!

I take it that its a regular occurance?

You've a few choices really:

- Report it and a high possibility you lose your job
    - Quit if your so appaled by it (and/or report it)
    - Get some balls and tell the manager you're going home sick

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

^^Um, this is a health hazard we are talking about here, not a thumb in the soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What the customer doesnt know wont hurt him!

:eek: By that 'reasoning', why bother with any health regulations or checks - just keep everyone uninformed and we'll never suffer from anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Can you contact the EHO or Food Safety Authority anonymously (sp). If the hotel thinks this is the standard they should work too I'd hate to see what else is going on in the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....for junior workers in the catering industry. Chances are if you report this incident to the relevant authorities you will be accused of stirring sh*t and be fired, not to mention running the risk of be subject to bullying by the errant chef.

• Advertisement
Advertisement