Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cliffs of Moher

• 14-06-2011 7:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a German bus driver a the cliffs of Moher yesterday. He had to pay 90 Euro to park his bus there for an hour. This is a new low for a site already infamous for exorbitant prices.
    its really taking the piss out of the tourists. Granted every tourist has to go to the Cliffs of Moher, but is it really necessary to charge them this much and offer so little?

He was also asking me where the public toilets in Clare were, but although I know Clare reasonably well I hadn't a clue. his bus had been to Pollnabrone Domen and as there was no toilet they had to use the bushes which does not look good.
    Could Clare County Council not put up a portaloo at some of these sites?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was talking to a German bus driver a the cliffs of Moher yesterday. He had to pay 90 Euro to park his bus there for an hour. This is a new low for a site already infamous for exorbitant prices.
    its really taking the piss out of the tourists. Granted every tourist has to go to the Cliffs of Moher, but is it really necessary to charge them this much and offer so little?

He was also asking me where the public toilets in Clare were, but although I know Clare reasonably well I hadn't a clue. his bus had been to Pollnabrone Domen and as there was no toilet they had to use the bushes which does not look good.
    Could Clare County Council not put up a portaloo at some of these sites?

We have two threads that might help you.

First, there are two public toilets in the car parks in Ennis -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056297053

We know this because it costs €70,000 a year to maintain them, even though they are self cleaning.

Per yer issues with the Cliffs, we have multiple threads full of complaints. The most recent one is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287165

If anyone asks about toilets tell them Tesco and Dunnes both have public toilets which are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

CptSternn wrote: »
    We have two threads that might help you.

First, there are two public toilets in the car parks in Ennis -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056297053

We know this because it costs €70,000 a year to maintain them, even though they are self cleaning.

Per yer issues with the Cliffs, we have multiple threads full of complaints. The most recent one is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287165

If anyone asks about toilets tell them Tesco and Dunnes both have public toilets which are free.

thanks for that.

there are a lot of things to see throughout the island, but some areas seem to cater for tourists better than others. the girlfriend is a tour guide and told me in some towns and villages they only have one public toilet, which takes one person at a time. try bring a group of fifty to that!

why would it cost so much to maintain the toilets? tourists do not have a problem paying 20 cent for a toilet. nobody is that tight.

thanks for that.

there are a lot of things to see throughout the island, but some areas seem to cater for tourists better than others. the girlfriend is a tour guide and told me in some towns and villages they only have one public toilet, which takes one person at a time. try bring a group of fifty to that!

why would it cost so much to maintain the toilets? tourists do not have a problem paying 20 cent for a toilet. nobody is that tight.

Both public toilets are just one single toilet in two locations that take one person at a time so I don't have to imagine, we see it first hand here.

No idea, in fact, thats what the thread is about - trying to figure out how it costs over €100 a day to maintain a single toilet.

Both public toilets are just one single toilet in two locations that take one person at a time so I don't have to imagine, we see it first hand here.

No idea, in fact, thats what the thread is about - trying to figure out how it costs over €100 a day to maintain a single toilet.

if people are paying to use it, surely it pays for itself?

if people are paying to use it, surely it pays for itself?

According to the article they spent €70,000 on maintaining the toilets and brought in €3,000.

At an average of 34 people a day, €0.25 per go they would need to raise the price to €3.00 a go to break even. Like the eejits they are, instead of looking at reducing the costs they are talking about raising the price to €1-€2 a go.

People will just piss on the thing instead of inside the thing if they do that sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

but isnt it really important that there should be public toilets at the major tourist points.. we have this beautiful county that sells itself (loads of history, beautiful sights, fishing, walking on the clare way,friendly people) and we dont even have a basic toilet to offer at the dolmen and such places...
    cliffs of moher, dont get me started, how can they charge that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I would imagine that insurance is a big part of the costs at the cliffs
    I do seem to recall the council were sued by the family of a suicide victim years ago because access to the cliffs was too easy so that is/was a factor in the recent developments up there

According to the article they spent €70,000 on maintaining the toilets and brought in €3,000.

At an average of 34 people a day, €0.25 per go they would need to raise the price to €3.00 a go to break even. Like the eejits they are, instead of looking at reducing the costs they are talking about raising the price to €1-€2 a go.

People will just piss on the thing instead of inside the thing if they do that sure.

who is going to pay a euro for a whizz, although they will probably introduce it to the cliffs?

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I would imagine that insurance is a big part of the costs at the cliffs
    I do seem to recall the council were sued by the family of a suicide victim years ago because access to the cliffs was too easy so that is/was a factor in the recent developments up there

interesting point, but you can still climb over the barrier if you really want to and if someone really wants to end their life there is little that can be done about it.

I wonder why there is no barrier at Dun Aonghusa?

they do have a lot of staff such as rangers but somehow I think they want to recoup the money invested asap and the cliffs are big business.

Advertisement