Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is the north side so dirty?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

maybe the south side is as well, but I tend to operate more north of the Liffey than I do south of it.
    its the first thing that strikes me when I come into the train station and go around teh Talbot Street area. There is rubbish everywhere and even if people did want to throw away rubbish the bins are overflowing. there is spit, **** and blood on the footpaths. if you happen to be dragging a suitcase you need to disinfect it before bringing it int the flat.
    any reason for the incredible amount of filth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

memes-this-is-not-considered-trolling-in-the-pacific-northwest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am guessing all the partying etc the weekend. That will explain the blood.

The rubbish...I imagine the city council concentrates there efforts on o con street and grafton street as these are the tourist areas after that...
    Who knows.

I imagine since the bin charges came in normal bins are being used for domestic waste and TBH the council was warned of this so its there own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I am guessing all the partying etc the weekend. That will explain the blood.

The rubbish...I imagine the city council concentrates there efforts on o con street and grafton street as these are the tourist areas after that...
    Who knows.

I imagine since the bin charges came in normal bins are being used for domestic waste and TBH the council was warned of this so its there own fault.

a lot of tourists are in the Talbot sreet area as well, but the rubbish there is overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do you disinfect your shoes every time you bring them in to the flat?

When I am in the city for a weekend I will often come it to the city on Saturday morning for coffee, a bit of shopping, some lunch and maybe meet up with a few people. I will either get a Dart in or drive and park in the Ilac Centre. I would knock around the Italian Quarter, Arnotts, Jervis, Henry St, coffee on Abbey st., Asian Markets opposite the Church for herbs and spices before heading Southside on a Dublin bike.

I take notice of my surroundings, I'm fairly visually aware and I have to say this "incredible amount of filth with blood and spit on the footpaths" is somewhat exaggerated, I know it's to be expected on the ever popular Dublin Northside bashing threads. Yeah, the Northside of the city is a bit grimier, there are druggies, there are beggars (both chancers and homeless)...

But some people are a bit hysterical. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe the south side is as well, but I tend to operate more north of the Liffey than I do south of it.
    its the first thing that strikes me when I come into the train station and go around teh Talbot Street area. There is rubbish everywhere and even if people did want to throw away rubbish the bins are overflowing. there is spit, **** and blood on the footpaths. if you happen to be dragging a suitcase you need to disinfect it before bringing it int the flat.
    any reason for the incredible amount of filth?

It's down to all those southsiders, re-locating...

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Do you disinfect your shoes every time you bring them in to the flat?

When I am in the city for a weekend I will often come it to the city on Saturday morning for coffee, a bit of shopping, some lunch and maybe meet up with a few people. I will either get a Dart in or drive and park in the Ilac Centre. I would knock around the Italian Quarter, Arnotts, Jervis, Henry St, coffee on Abbey st., Asian Markets opposite the Church for herbs and spices before heading Southside on a Dublin bike.

I take notice of my surroundings, I'm fairly visually aware and I have to say this "incredible amount of filth with blood and spit on the footpaths" is somewhat exaggerated, I know it's to be expected on the ever popular Dublin Northside bashing threads. Yeah, the Northside of the city is a bit grimier, there are druggies, there are beggars (both chancers and homeless)...

But some people are a bit hysterical. :)

like most people I take off my shoes entering someones home. its more awkward if your suitcase is dragged through the filth.

you did not mention Talbot Street, which is the prime example of a filthy street and also as I have mentioned a tourist area. right beside it is Marlborough street with its junkies. they should be moved on.

This thread should not be seen as as North side bashing, although there is a significant number of undesirables in the D1 area. The social welfare office there is also the busiest in the country. they should really be transferred to the city limits.

This thread should not be seen as as North side bashing, although there is a significant number of undesirables in the D1 area. The social welfare office there is also the busiest in the country. they should really be transferred to the city limits.

So it's not a North side bashing excercise, it's a claimants bashing thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

DCC have a lot to answer for when you consider that they have always neglected the north of the city
    saying that, the area around charlemont street flats on the southside is very run down

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

The footpath between Centra Nth King St, and the Church St Crossroads has to be the dirtiest in the whole city.
    It's hilariously bad.
    Rubbish, dog ****, random pieces of car tyres are all regulars.

I was never one for the Southside Northside bashing thing, having lived on the Northside for most of my time in Dublin, but there definitely is much more of a rubbish problem, whether that's because of the residents, or the DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

like most people I take off my shoes entering someones home. .

errrr, your not from dublin are you? like most people. what are you basing that. are you asian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

ibtl.

jossnjuice wrote: »
    ibtl.

English please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

The only rubbish or similar that I've seen on Talbot street is that which the shops leave out for the binmen, it's not that bad at all OP

English please

In before the lock.........the only way i can see this panning out is yet another Northside/ Southside melee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The social welfare office there is also the busiest in the country. they should really be transferred to the city limits.

The busiest social welfare local office in the country is in Cork and the second busiest is in Anne Street, Wexford

jossnjuice wrote: »
    In before the lock.........the only way i can see this panning out is yet another Northside/ Southside melee.

thanks for the explanation. I believe there was an article in the Indo about a month ago on the same topic.

As I said its not northside bashing. I have made clear that I live on the northside and also areas such as Clontarf and Santry are immaculate.

it would appear that Henry Street is quite clean, but Talbot street is not. It also has a disturbing amount of undesirables. could they not move the clinic more towards the edge of the city and have more guards going along the boardwalk, a nice spot by the way, but who wants to be around junkies? I mean what kind of image of Dublin does this give visitors?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    errrr, your not from dublin are you? like most people. what are you basing that. are you asian?

Can't speak for himself but I'm a Dubliner and have always done that :)

It's commonplace in Japan, I know that. Who wants the streets debris trailed through your domicile anyways?

thanks for the explanation. I believe there was an article in the Indo about a month ago on the same topic.

As I said its not northside bashing. I have made clear that I live on the northside and also areas such as Clontarf and Santry are immaculate.

it would appear that Henry Street is quite clean, but Talbot street is not. It also has a disturbing amount of undesirables. could they not move the clinic more towards the edge of the city and have more guards going along the boardwalk, a nice spot by the way, but who wants to be around junkies? I mean what kind of image of Dublin does this give visitors?

Undersirables versus NIMBYism. The age old conflict. What kind of image do junkies give visitors? That Dublin is a city like any other the world over, I imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Personally i would build fortified meth clinics in the isolated parts of the country, with big high walls that keep the junkies in. Fine you can have your meth, but you're not leaving the place til you've cleaned up your act.And if you so much as get back on gear as soon as you're released, then you're back down here for life, ****o.

old hippy wrote: »
    Undersirables versus NIMBYism. The age old conflict. What kind of image do junkies give visitors? That Dublin is a city like any other the world over, I imagine.

Not every big city has druggies and other undesirables. I feel very safe in Belfast and Cork. I am sure both have their share of undesirables but they are not in the city centre . people avoid streets with such people which is a pity cos Talbot street has a lot to offer.

• Advertisement

Personally i would build fortified meth clinics in the isolated parts of the country, with big high walls that keep the junkies in. Fine you can have your meth, but you're not leaving the place til you've cleaned up your act.And if you so much as get back on gear as soon as you're released, then you're back down here for life, ****o.

Lob the alcoholics, beggars and ne'er do wells in as well? Why stop there; litter louts have a lot to answer for.

As I said its not northside bashing.

im not saying you were, not in the slightest......its just that ive seen loads of threads that ended up like it, so presumed that this one was going to end up the same way....thankfully there seems to be intelligent conversation this time around rather than the usual s**te that gets talked when the topic of North/South comes up, which makes me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

lived off talbot street up until about two years ago and I still work on it.

The area around Talbot street is an embarrasment, all the tourists seem to pass through it and it just does nothing to make them want to come back for a longer visit.

Litter - the council have clearners every morning cleaning the area - the machines used to wake me which is why I moved (or at least they used to).
    Cleaning the area is pointless from the way I've seen the locals treating it both young and old. I just can't stand to see parents throw litter on the ground with their kids in tow as they pass by a bin, their kids will probably grow up to be the same.

I've lived in many area of the city and Talbot street area has a lot going for it as it is a beside the main transport hubs - just a pity to see it in decline for so long and a lot has to do with the locals them selves bringing the area down.

The main thing that does need to be fixed though is the amount of junkies hanging around, they have their regular spots in the area to agree prices- beside the spar shop on corner of marlborough st is one and then they go beside the greesy spoon nearby to trade if not right on the street- guards chat with them a few times a day as they walk by but that's it unless they start fighting or stab each other which happens from time to time as I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It is, unfortunately, because the Irish generally have little to no respect for their surroundings. It's not just a Dublin thing, towns around the country are filthy. And then you take a nice drive up into, say the Dublin mountains and you can spot black bags of rubbish dumped.
    What goes through peoples minds, I don't know. "Hey honey, lets go for a nice drive" "Oh yeah, maybe up by Jonny Foxes, the views are really nice." "Sure, grab a few bags of rubbish there, we'll get rid of them while enjoying the view."
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

Northsiders drop more litter than southsiders. Not just the city centre, check out their suburbs too.....most are filthy. Don't know why they do, but they do.

pawrick wrote: »
    lived off talbot street up until about two years ago and I still work on it.

The area around Talbot street is an embarrasment, all the tourists seem to pass through it and it just does nothing to make them want to come back for a longer visit.

Litter - the council have clearners every morning cleaning the area - the machines used to wake me which is why I moved (or at least they used to).
    Cleaning the area is pointless from the way I've seen the locals treating it both young and old. I just can't stand to see parents throw litter on the ground with their kids in tow as they pass by a bin, their kids will probably grow up to be the same.

I've lived in many area of the city and Talbot street area has a lot going for it as it is a beside the main transport hubs - just a pity to see it in decline for so long and a lot has to do with the locals them selves bringing the area down.

The main thing that does need to be fixed though is the amount of junkies hanging around, they have their regular spots in the area to agree prices- beside the spar shop on corner of marlborough st is one and then they go beside the greesy spoon nearby to trade if not right on the street- guards chat with them a few times a day as they walk by but that's it unless they start fighting or stab each other which happens from time to time as I have seen.

in fairness there are few rubbish bins in Talbot Street and those that do exist are overflowing. The street has potential. you get a lot of good bargains on it, but the junkies do not encourage people to go there. I have seen the guards lifting one or two of them but there are just so many of them.
    I pity the staff in that Spar. I was in there once and a junkie was sneezing all over the place without putting his hand over his face. I fled.

the clinic should really be moved elsewhere.

there are some decent apartments in the area, but junkies are getting in to these and shooting up in the stairwell. who wants that?

Nevore wrote: »
    It is, unfortunately, because the Irish generally have little to no respect for their surroundings. It's not just a Dublin thing, towns around the country are filthy. And then you take a nice drive up into, say the Dublin mountains and you can spot black bags of rubbish dumped.
    What goes through peoples minds, I don't know. "Hey honey, lets go for a nice drive" "Oh yeah, maybe up by Jonny Foxes, the views are really nice." "Sure, grab a few bags of rubbish there, we'll get rid of them while enjoying the view."
    :confused::confused::confused:

traditionally the bog was a dumping ground, even in the eighties this was acceptable. there are Dubs, especially hill walkers, who go into the hills and pick up rubbish.

there is of course also the culture of dependency, whereby you get everything from the state, but do not have to give anything back. This is unfortunately strong in D1. there is no pride in the area.

The liberties would also be a working class area, supposedly dangerous with drug addicts (I read this in a guide book called The Gothic Tour of Dublin) about the place, but I fail to see the same amount of rubbish there.

wyndham wrote: »
    The busiest social welfare local office in the country is in Cork and the second busiest is in Anne Street, Wexford

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The social welfare office there is also the busiest in the country

Source?

• Advertisement

Northsiders drop more litter than southsiders. Not just the city centre, check out their suburbs too.....most are filthy. Don't know why they do, but they do.

Unsubstantiated bs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement