Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is the north side so dirty?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

old hippy wrote: »
    Unsubstantiated bs

Yes of course, that old chestnut.

Here's your substance....take an average Saturday morning. Walk around the Northside with your eyes open (this bit is important).

Repeat process on the Southside.

Repeat process on Sunday morning.

One can see more litter on the Northside than on the South.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Here's your substance....take an average Saturday morning. Walk around the Northside with your eyes open (this bit is important).

Don't live there anymore but am very familiar with both "sides" and they are exactly the same with litter levels.

You should brush the mucus of prejudice from thine own eyes, my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

have you seen wexford street/aungier street/south great georges street on a sunday morning? filthy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You have trawled all the suburbs, from Neilstown to Jobstown? Your posts are full of sheite.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You have trawled all the suburbs, from Neilstown to Jobstown? Your posts are full of sheite.
    Northside is worse than the south...get over it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Northside is worse than the south...get over it

Source?

old hippy wrote: »
    Source?

My eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Fuinseog wrote: »
    The liberties would also be a working class area, supposedly dangerous with drug addicts (I read this in a guide book called The Gothic Tour of Dublin) about the place, but I fail to see the same amount of rubbish there.

I used to live in the liberties. It's just as filthy as an other city centre area and the place is absolutely f*king rife with junkies and scumbags.

As for the absolute nonsense about the southside being cleaner than the northside. Do me a f*king favour. Both sides have equally clean and dirty areas.

For every run down dump of an area on the northside it has a southside counterpart. Ridiculous to single out one side of the city as being far dirtier than the other or whatever else. Absolute boll*cks of the highest order and not what I think the OP intended either I may add.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I give thee Tallaght and Howth.

S23 wrote: »
    Both sides have equally clean and dirty areas.

Hmmm...you see I don't think they're equal.

And I'm inclined to think that the Northside is worse.

Crazy I know, but political correctness can only go so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

you had a number of posts in this thread, three of them unwelcome and infracted.

Take a ban buddy.

Everyone else, this thread is on thin ice.

I've seen words like "scumbag" being used, reel it in lads.

Keep it civil, I actually think the state of the Talbot St area is worth discussing, let's do it properly eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

As somebody who grew up on both the Northside and Southside (I don't consider myself either) I really think this 'divide' is a load of nonsense. The Northside is way smaller than the Southside for a start. The South has Jobstown whilst the North has Howth.

I don't know which is worse, the snobs from the Southside who deride all things working-class or the Northsiders who harp on as if they've just been liberated from Belsen. Those Northsiders who go on about their Northsideriness all the time tend to come from middle class parts of Raheny and Glasnevin anyway.

The Northside is generally a bit more litter-strewn than the Southside, by the way. Just open your eyes and get off your high-horses!

The area is not perfect, the OP's general swipe at the Northside is slightly true. but I feel he is trolling a bit. One part of a city is always going to be marginally dirtier than the other! The cheaper the rent, the grimier the streets. That's a fact of life and every single city in the world has a Talbot st. We may not see them on holiday, but it's true, they do. You want cheap clothes, restaurants, food etc.. you gotta live with a bit of dirt, it's a city.

Price some books in Chapters on Parnell st., compare the prices with some of the South side book shops...

These deluded idea's of "moving them on" about vagrants, users and homeless people are silly. They will move straight back to the city where there is shelter, people to beg from, shops to rob and drugs and booze.

I'm not simply shrugging my shoulders and saying that's the way it is, DCC, and the Gardai are slacking off, it's obvious, we can see that in with our own eyes. Drug abuse and littering is evident.

The only answer I can come up with is good policing and a proper service from DCC. Accountability has to come in to play and a seismic shift in attitude from our public servants has to come about.

The few hard working, diligent ones are not making enough of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Honestly the levels of street cleaning differ immensely between areas that get a lot of tourism and those that don't. The council is lazy when it comes to cleaning certain areas of the the city and whether this is divided by Northside/Southside who knows.

I lived in the centre of Temple Bar for a while and no matter how much puke/p**s/rubbish was on the streets, when I got up the next morning, I could have eaten my dinner off the streets. The street cleaners were going all night and even after Paddy's Day, you would never have known that our street was ankle deep in filth the night before.

Living in Stoneybatter now, which is a great area, just a little on teh grimey side. Following the horse markets it takes an age to clear the horse manure off the streets, for at least a week afterwards, it's a constant game of dodge the horse crap.

How the council can ensure Temple Bar is spakling after Paddy's Day and every morning but cannot locate some resources to Stoneybatter once a month is beyond me. Their approach to here is probably along the same vein as Talbot Street, but that is, I have no idea. I do have a niggling feeling, however, that Ranelagh and Ballsbridge never have to contend with overflowing bins or week old piles of horse crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

diddlybit wrote: »
    How the council can ensure Temple Bar is spakling after Paddy's Day and every morning but cannot locate some resources to Stoneybatter once a month is beyond me. Their approach to here is probably along the same vein as Talbot Street, but that is, I have no idea. I do have a niggling feeling, however, that Ranelagh and Ballsbridge never have to contend with overflowing bins or week old piles of horse crap.

I understand that a lot of the cleaning resources used in temple bar are funded by the businesses in temple bar, in addition to what the council do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

To be honest, I find a massive difference between north side and south side. I don't know what it is, but from crossing over the bridge, straight away there's a difference, and the North side is just a far less attractive, much dirtier side of the city.

This runs in to the suburbs too, where for the most part (and of course there are exceptions) the south side suburbs generally are far nicer and much better kept.

I don't know if this is to do with the council or the people, but having spent years living on both sides of the city, where at all possible, I rarely find a need to venture to the north side any more, even from shopping to night life to living, to visiting things, almost all seems infinitely more pleasant on the south side.

Again, not saying this is anything to do with the people, but for some reason, in my opinion, the south side is a world apart, and a much nicer world apart, from the north side in almost every aspect.

(and this isn't a posh southsider vs northside knacker bullsh*t thing, this is just plain fact as far as I see it)

Henry St. Saturday morning. No overflowing bins, no pools of blood and spit...

henryIMG_0618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I had a junkie break into my flat when was living southside, a southside junkie. never happened in the northside.

Maybe they were on holiday but I never saw junkies and scumbags in Malahide and Portmarnock, the so called southern colonies of the northside.
    maybe we cannot generalise. i am not a dub. Tallaght is both a ****hole and a lovely place, depending on the area. the difficulty is for the outsider to recognise which is which.

Henry St. Saturday morning. No overflowing bins, no pools of blood and spit...

henryIMG_0618.jpg

Now throw up a few photos of Talbot Street

Now throw up a few photos of Talbot Street

I'm a bit busy in work at the moment Fuinseog, if you really want to prove a point, why don't you go and do it yourself?

I have posted up a photo of a spotless Henry st. The main shopping area and thoroughfare of Dublin's North city centre on a summers Saturday morning. Can you not acknowledge the fact that the bins are empty and it's clean as a whistle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

have you seen wexford street/aungier street/south great georges street on a sunday morning? filthy

x 2 RE: Aungier St & Georges St -coming into work the day after Paddys day was horrific, disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Recently spotted on the SOUTH INNER CITY

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w108/hutton001/PICT0058.jpg

temply wrote: »
    x 2 RE: Aungier St & Georges St -coming into work the day after Paddys day was horrific, disgusting

I had a similar experience on the 18th March. There were rivers of vomit on O'Connell street

I'm a bit busy in work at the moment Fuinseog, if you really want to prove a point, why don't you go and do it yourself?

I have posted up a photo of a spotless Henry st. The main shopping area and thoroughfare of Dublin's North city centre on a summers Saturday morning. Can you not acknowledge the fact that the bins are empty and it's clean as a whistle?

I never said Henry Street was dirty. check my original post.
    Talbot is also a shopping area.

orourkeda wrote: »
    I had a similar experience on the 18th March. There were rivers of vomit on O'Connell street

The council should have hosed the place down before people arose the following morning. I mean the day is worth millions in terms of what visitors spend in the city.
    the abundance of chippers and sex shop on O Connell Street do not enhance the streets image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

The council should have hosed the place down before people arose the following morning. I mean the day is worth millions in terms of what visitors spend in the city.
    the abundance of chippers and sex shop on O Connell Street do not enhance the streets image

where is the bongo shop on o connell street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm a proud Northsider but Talbot Street is an abomination.

where is the bongo shop on o connell street

places like Clerys do their best to give the capitals main thoroughfare a sense of style and class and then other more tackier shops are let do as they please.

certain shops should be removed to less prominent streets.

half of Talbot Street is pedestrianised and would encourage shoppers were it not for the druggies that congregate there.

the statue of James Joyce attracts people and the druggies and smashed shop windows drive them away.

Gardiner Street is another less desirable place. I wanted a room in a B and B there once and the window was cracked and the room in general upheaval.
    Places can change. I gather around Isaacs was really rough in the 70s but now its okay.

why does the city not move the clinic somewhere else?

[QUOTE=Fuinseog;72876015check my original post.[/QUOTE]

I did. You named the thread:

"why is the north side so dirty?"

I took a photo of a spotless Henry street, the main shopping area of the Northside of Dublin city centre. Can see the photo? Can you not admit it's a clean area or are you just here to troll?

• Advertisement

No chipper and No sex shop.

Its an "Ann Summers" and they're fast food restaurants

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement