Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for gift basket for new mum

Options
  • 14-06-2011 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to put together a small gift basket with baby stuff for my friend who had her little boy today, with baby essentials, but need some inspiration!

She just had a c-section and think she is planning on bottle feeding.

Only have about €50 to spend but here's what i'm thinking so far:

pack of nappies ( what size? 8ld baby)
    some muslin cloths
    baby comb
    baby bath toy
    talcum powder's

Was thinking of putting in today's papers, but the front pages are all depressing about recession and brian lenihan's removal!

I'm sure there's tons more but i'm stumped! Would also like to get something small too that is just for mum.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Muslin cloths-ikea do great ones
    Baby comb-ok
    Bath toy-I'd look around for a comforter toy or blanket that she can put into the crib with the baby when it's about 10wks. We got a comfort blanket and my little fella loves it already at 4.5 months.
    Powder-it's recommended to use nothing on newborn skin. I still just wash him in water and don't pout powder on after.
    Nappies-size 2
    What else? Maybe gripe water if you can get some and some calpol. She can't use it for 4 weeks but murphys law she'll need it late at night or something. Baby nail clippers-our little lads nails get so long so quickly.

By the way it's a lovely idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

New born baby grows.
    New born nappies.
    Muslin cloths.
    Talcum powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

You can get wipes in Boots (not sure where else does them), that are just water and some fruit extract so are fine to use on babies. They're called Water Wipes. I found them great and much handier than cotton wool.

Another handy thing is one or two formula dispeners, they do them in Smyths and Tesco, they just have three compartments to hold formula for making bottles when you're out and about. Only a couple of eur each.

A Sophie the Giraffe toy, the baby won't use it for a couple of months but my little one adores her one, a lifesaver for keeping her quiet if we're out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My friend had a baby boy 6 days ago, i made up my own gift basket,

basket 10.00
    wraping and bow 2.00

nappies babydry special offer (size 3) 3.00
    johnsons baby wipes 1.39
    johnsons baby lotion 2.00
    johnsons baby bath 2.00
    johnsons baby wash 2.00
    johnsons baby shampoo 2.00
    johnsons bedtime bath 2.00
    talc 1.45
    baby ear buds .45
    baby spoons (tommy tippee) 2.45
    baby bowls (tommy tippee) 4.00
    bepanthan 5.45 (first baby and i thought that bepanthan was great)
    paralink 10.45 (again its her first baby and paralink is a godsend)
    cool baby bib 5.00
    outfit 16.00
    socks 2.00
    rubber duck 4.00

thats about it, looked fab, of course you dont have to go to that expense but just to give you an idea (you could throw bottles or something in there aswell).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catz852002

Hiya.
    I work in a creche and also put a basket together for my sister when she had my gorgeous Godson last November. A few bits which are great but havent been mentioned are:-
    • Soothers
    • A small jar of baby ainseed syrup (you dip soother in it and baby loves it and doesnt spit dodi out! Get in pharmacy)
    • Arnicare cream (for when baby starts crawling - its great to prevent bruising! - get in pharmacy)
    • A little jar of baby snuffle rub (get in pharmacy)
    • Theres a jar of own-brand nappy ointment in Boots (cant rem the name) but il ask my sis. She swears by it for preventing nappy rash and its cheap as chips. Cansten cream is good for nappy rash also available from pharmacist. (Tip! The large tube is much better value and is half the price of the smaller one because the small one is available on the medical card so more expensive!)
    • A tube of Calgel (or bonjella if Calgel not available!) for teething troubles!
    These are all small simple bits but they are kind of tricks of the trade so many are overlooked!

I second the Sophie the Giraffe suggestion! She is an absolute lifesaver - so simple but would be lost without her during those teething times! See her on amazon top sellers in baby and nursery dept - her position speaks for itself!

Best of luck!

Cat :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would 2nd all of that, especially snuffle baby and sophie the giraffe.
    I wouldn't buy johnsons stuff for a new baby,I find it quite harsh. We never used talc but caldescene is brilliant for nappy rash.
    The boots own brand stuff was good and their own brand sensitive stuff looks fancy and is lovely.

Other suggestions -
    Baby sponge
    Bath thermometer
    Any of those soft comforter toys that look like hankies.
    Changing mats - ikea do lovely ones that fit in a baby bag no problem for about 5 euro.
    food storage containers.
    Baby towels

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

You cannot go wrong with a sophie giraffe.

Advertisement