Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for person who could look after our cat for few months.

Options
  • 14-06-2011 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi, all,

We have cat for 4 years now that we took from DSPCA & we really love him.
    Due to work opportunities we have to move to UK. We gonna temporarily live with person allergic to cats.
    We are searching for person who could look after our cat for few months 3-6 months. We can provide food & sand for those months.

We could potentially move it to Latvia to our family however it will be harder to get him back as he will have to go through 6 months quarantine (Latvia has rabies).

Cat name : Artie
    Color : Black & White
    Special : Three black dots on his nose
    Sex : male
    Microchip : yes
    Has all vaccines
    3.5 years old (born around start of August 2007)
    Has been toilet trained. If not let out, will do his stuff in box
    Neutered : yes

He is very good with kids, quite independent, but will jump into your lap time to time.

You can call me to my mobile 087 060 9995
    See picture in attachment.

Thanks for any answers,
    Gita
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

If you want to take the cat to Latvia, then you can get pet passports, so that they don't need to go into quarantine. They have to be vaccinated for rabies before going and tested to make sure they're immune to it.

Here's some information about it
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 eziite

I reviewed policy of bringing cat back from Latvia and it says that it has to go in quarantine as Latvia has rabies. Not sure now... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

Aww he's gorgeous, I would help only I have 3 cats already and a baby due in a few months but I hope you get sorted. At least you are looking out for him and not just getting rid of him xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 SophieSakura.

OP, Latvia is a European country (all bar Ireland) are rabies positive. Your cat can qualify for a Pet Passport as long as you're not travelling for another 6 weeks or so. Loads of time to get this sorted.The link SophieSakura has posted will help you with the details you need to know.

It may be less stressful for you and your cat to keep her in ireland for that time but if you're not travelling for another 6-8 weeks id be starting this process anyway. Financially it mightnt make that much of a difference (cattery cost vs petsitter cost) to keep her but at least you have this option if you dont find a cattery/sitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Actually, I think it takes 6 months to get a pet passport sorted.
    The animal has to be tested for Rabies antibodies six months before the passport is issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He looks very familiar. Do you live in Lucan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

He is a beautiful cat!

Just a suggestion, why don't you approach your local cat rescue shelter about some long term care. Give them sufficient food, litter etc for your cat but also a small donation every week to help them out with the rescues. Maybe its overcrowded as it is but its worth trying a few different shelters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

lubie76 wrote: »
    He is a beautiful cat!

Just a suggestion, why don't you approach your local cat rescue shelter about some long term care. Give them sufficient food, litter etc for your cat but also a small donation every week to help them out with the rescues. Maybe its overcrowded as it is but its worth trying a few different shelters.

I wouldn't go for this personally. Even if you found one that would take him its unfair to use a space that is needed by the 1000's of cats and kittens looking for a home.

OP it would be a good idea for you to get a passport for him just in case. :)

I actually did asked DSPCA and they said that they care only about sick and small animals. And now they are full with small kittens, so no place.

Are you sure that passport takes 6 months? Then I can't make it till next month :( I will call vet today & try to put up some posters.

No, I don't live in Lucan, but in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As far as I remember the animal needs the rabies shot and a test for it a month later. There is something about 6 months but I think this might be to do with a quarantine period bringing the cat back - quarantine as in 6 months after the shot, not actual quarantine, the cat can stay with your family for this time. I'm not 100% sure about this though. You should contact a vet that is used to dealing with passports today and ask their advice and get the process started regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If you want a pet passport, here's how it works:
    1. Go to your vet and get the rabies vaccine and get a passport (the vet signs the form and sends it off).
    2. Then you get a blood sample taken a month after vaccination.
    3. You can then leave Ireland with your cat but cannot re-enter for 6 months. After that you can come and go as you like.

We got rabines vaccine about month ago, so I guess I just need passport & test now.

Still, if someone would be happy to have him here for few months, let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Have you tried asking some local voluntary shelters about their volunteers? My local animal rescue has a list of volunteer fosterers who take animals in for period from a week to 12 months to foster them while they are getting ready for their new home. These people often would be willing to take your cat for the 3-6 months as they do this all the time! You could possibly offer to donate for the cats keep then, and as he has no medical issues (from what ive read) then he would be a treat to take care of :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi eziite,

if I were you, I would also get an insurance for the kitty (apologies if you already have one!). It's a huge responsibility to look after a cat for that long and although he looks healthy and happy, there may be vet bills to cover (fingers crossed that it won't be the case). in any case, it would make it easier to convince somebody to take him in...

btw, he looks lovely... we already have 2 cats so we are not candidates for looking after him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No offence but are you looking for someone to mind your cat for free for that amount of time? If you can find someone let me know would love to find someone to mind our animals for free for a couple of weeks.

If you are willing to spend some money then why not contact catteries in your area some may offer a good discount for long term stay, have seen it done in dog kennels where dogs have to stay for a long time while their owners are away.

Or alternativly while sorting out the pet passport you could always put the cat in a cattery until the pet passport is sorted.

@coco_lola can you give me any links to shelters I could call? I'm not sure what to search for.

@scaryfairy how much does pet insurances usually cost? I think I would love to make sure I'm giving cat to right person anyway. Pity that everyone has cats and can't take another one in :(

@Sigma Force I talked with shelter, cat that has once been in shelter might be distressed to get into one again. They suggested to leave it with friends or family. That's what I'm searching for. I'm not ready to leave cat in cattery for few months.

@scaryfairy how much does pet insurances usually cost? I think I would love to make sure I'm giving cat to right person anyway. Pity that everyone has cats and can't take another one in :([/QUOTE]

hi,

we have been paying about 15-20 euros for our 2 cats/month, and one of them is a senior pedigree (as far as I know these 2 combined push up the price a bit). we use petinsure.ie, but there are a few others as well (such Allianz etc), there is more on it here on the site. good luck.

sorry just one more thing: you can also get the insurance online, in about 2 min., and get a bit of discount for online application + microchip, so it could work out really cheap (circa €8/month)
    just go there: http://www.petinsure.ie/index.cfm/page/applyonline (or to allianz etc)

i know it's very difficult without family or pet friendly friends in a foreign country - when we were moving countries, we were lucky that my parents could help out for the duration of the quarantine... is there any chance of finding your own accommodation in the UK? as far as I know, it's really easy to move pets between the 2 countries...

Thanks everyone for replies. I found home for our cat with a cat lover :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement