Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Trap - Tuam Road Tuesday Morning

Options
  • 14-06-2011 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

An Garda Revenue Generating Corps are setting up a speed trap on the Tuam road at the moment, not sure where the radar is, but a motorbike just pulled in beside the new supermacs and the car continued out towards An Post.

Keep it under the limit out there guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

and remember it's 50 all the way to/from the entrance of the quarry...A LOT of people seem to forget/ignore that and tailgate like maniacs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

and to maximise revenue they usually postion the van a few meters from the 50 sign at roadstone, thereby catching :

1. Outbound traffic who start to gently accelerate when the see the end of the 50kph zone sign,
    2. Inbound traffic who do not slam on their brakes reducing their speed from 100kph to 50kph immediately.

Ill just wait for iwannahurl to arrive and tell us all that this is 100% acceptable and that it is not a money generating exersise but that they are saving thousands of lives on this section of road and that all car drivers who break the speed by 1kph should have a finger removed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As you're going out-bound, there's is a speed sign at the dip, just past Leaders shop/Babyworld, just as you're going back up the dip... I thought that read 100kph?

My understanding from reading above is that this isin't true and there is infact a 50kph limit out as far as Roadstone?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    As you're going out-bound, there's is a speed sign at the dip, just past Leaders shop/Babyworld, just as you're going back up the dip... I thought that read 100kph?

My understanding from reading above is that this isin't true and there is infact a 50kph limit out as far as Roadstone?

It was changed about 6mths ago, its now 50 all the way to roadstone.

Count yourself very lucky if you have travelled this road regularly and have never been caught, as speed camera van is normally just before roadstone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dell1211 wrote: »

Count yourself very lucky if you have travelled this road regularly and have never been caught, as speed camera van is normally just before roadstone

Jeez thanks for the info, never knew the speed limit had been amended.

I'll count myself very lucky so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

they've put up a few more 50 signs lately - before that, no signs at all, you had to assume it was 50 (or, if you travelled the road regularly, assumed it was still 100 put the sign got lost, and risk a hefty speeding fine). Why did they adjust the limit to 50 anyway?

I think 60 or even 80 would have been ok - and then continue it on until the Parkmore turnoff - where A LOT of accidents actually happen. A 60 around that turnoff to slow down traffic from the Tuam direction would be more appropriate than a 50 on the stretch between babyworld and the quarry.

galah wrote: »
    I think 60 or even 80 would have been ok - and then continue it on until the Parkmore turnoff - where A LOT of accidents actually happen. A 60 around that turnoff to slow down traffic from the Tuam direction would be more appropriate than a 50 on the stretch between babyworld and the quarry.

very good points there, re parkmore id say they didnt reduce the speed in that area because they have nowhere to park the speed van

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lighterthought

I got a speeding ticket on that stretch a month or so ago. I came off the small country road opposite Baby World (just up the road from the post office) and turned off at the junction towards SAP. Ticket said i was going 78, so they're really not letting anyone off for speeding there! Got the ticket in the mail, didn't see any gardai out there, wasn't pulled over.

Now I always drive 50-60 on that stretch, and the number of people who tailgate me and drive madly behind me is so surprising - and so so unsafe! Am surprised at how dangerous people react to me driving the speed limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

People have died on that stretch as a result of motorist collisions, glad to see the maximum limit being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

snubbleste wrote: »
    People have died on that stretch as a result of motorist collisions, glad to see the maximum limit being enforced.

As opposed to what, the minimum limit? Also, I dont recall a single fatal RTC within that specific stretch. On the step-down limit on the Headford Road there have been a few alright.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »

And how did these deaths occur? I'd bet it was speeding well well beyond the old 100kph limit. It doesnt make sense for crashes to occur there if people stuck to the old limit. Its a very wide stretch of road and besides the diy shop and 4 or 5 houses between roadstone and kennys turnoff there is nothing to cause a collision. Its the same case as briarhill, a few houses on the side of the road and they shoot the load, put in a ridiculous speed limit and park a speed van at it and roll in the money. If you think about it the most dangerous part of that road is roadstone itself and the bend in the road and there is a 100kph outside it.

Carnmore should be 80kph up until the point where it currently drops to 50kph(before the built up area) and 50kph thereafter.

Tuam road should not be any less than 60kph past roadstone.

Galway city council are a serious incompetent council who have absolutely no accountability for their shocking decisions (eyre square, traffic, rates......) that make it hell sometimes for the people living in galway other than to retard councilors who are too busy fighting among themselves

Galway city council are a serious incompetent council who have absolutely no accountability for their shocking decisions (eyre square, traffic, rates......) that make it hell sometimes for the people living in galway other than to retard councilors who are too busy fighting among themselves

To be fair, speed limit changes are approved by Gardai and the NRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

A few hundred rapid sackings would do that shower the world of good, to be honest. And its not like there aren't plenty of people on the dole who couldn't do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

To be fair, speed limit changes are approved by Gardai and the NRA

To maximise revenue in most cases, I notice that quite a lot of road stretches where fatalities have occured are never checked for speed, whereas a lot of (busy) reasonable safe stretches have ridiculous low speed limits applied, and have regular revenue generating shooting fish in a barrel type speed checks, usually by stealth which does not slow people down , only collects money from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 root80375

so did anyone actually see the van today? ive seen it a few times just inside the sign saying 50kph at roadstone but nowhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Well, I read this thread today at noon, found it interesting enough to fwd it to my fiancé and... unfortunately, I came home to find a speeding ticket (was at 70-something apparently).:mad::mad::mad:

Funny thing is, coming from Belgium, I've always been amazed at how weird some of the speed limits are around here (like 80km/h on stretches where you can't put two cars side by side...), this is however in the other way around. I'll be careful in that area from now on, but there's no way I could consider such a limit on that peculiar segment as something "normal" :(. "Garda Revenue Generating Corps" indeed!

galwayrush wrote: »
    To maximise revenue in most cases, I notice that quite a lot of road stretches where fatalities have occured are never checked for speed, whereas a lot of (busy) reasonable safe stretches have ridiculous low speed limits applied, and have regular revenue generating shooting fish in a barrel type speed checks, usually by stealth which does not slow people down , only collects money from them.

True, but if you're talking about the likes of the QC Bridge or Bothar na dTreabh, there's a very valid reason for a reduced limit. Within an urban area and they aren't duallers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

True, but if you're talking about the likes of the QC Bridge or Bothar na dTreabh, there's a very valid reason for a reduced limit. Within an urban area and they aren't duallers

I was thinking more of the road from Briarhill to Carnmore cross, it had a max speed limit when it was a narrow dangerous road, limit severely reduced after it was widened, yet, the same road has a max speed limit most of the way to Monivea and beyond where it's dangerous to drive at such speeds.
    Thinking about it, there are no suitable places to park the revenue generating speed detection vans on such dangerous roads.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

TIP : slow down and you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Money racket.
    Trust -10 points.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

mikom wrote: »
    Money racket.
    Trust -10 points.

some people never learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I was thinking more of the road from Briarhill to Carnmore cross, it had a max speed limit when it was a narrow dangerous road, limit severely reduced after it was widened, yet, the same road has a max speed limit most of the way to Monivea and beyond where it's dangerous to drive at such speeds.
    Thinking about it, there are no suitable places to park the revenue generating speed detection vans on such dangerous roads.:rolleyes:

Carnmore GAA is their halting site. Honestly its there more often than not. But of course its always in that location so people break the limit before and after it while slowing down for catch ment area :P

As for the Briarhill to carnmore cross section that really is a crazy limit, considering the roads off that stretch are 80kph and not wide enough for two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I was thinking more of the road from Briarhill to Carnmore cross,

Get onto the county council, city council area ends before the 60km section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

As opposed to what, the minimum limit? Also, I dont recall a single fatal RTC within that specific stretch. On the step-down limit on the Headford Road there have been a few alright.

2 motorcyclists killed in the last few years on the stretch between babyworld and roadstone, one right at the entrance to an post (which i saw) another further up..

if it wasnt a money making scam why do the position the vans right at or a couple of hundred yards past a change of speed limit? where your most likley to get caught out.

people will still speed,the only difference is the government are makin money on it now

Advertisement