Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huntsman or Eddie Rockets - pre Eye eats!

Options
  • 14-06-2011 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

For a quick pre movie bite to eat would Eddie Rockets and The Huntsman be the main options (G not an option this time) or is there anywhere else within a quick dash to the Eye?

(I have searched but some of the Huntsman posts are kinda old.)

Thanks a mill….:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Eddie Rockets, with a student card. €10 for 2 X burger, chips and drinks

Or get a coupon from the Galway Indo, €13 for 2 x any burger, chips and drinks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It depends how much time you have and what time of the day, the huntsman can be quite busy at various times.

The Eye and the G sometimes do Dinner and a Movie deals that are pretty good value.

For the comfort of knowing you're not going to miss the start of the film I think I'd choose Eddie Rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

+1 for Eddie Rockets - offering good value for money these days*, and they recently revamped their menu so there is a bit more variety. The place itself can get pretty busy tho, so best to give yourself plenty of time.

* with coupons. For example, for last year or two we've been using the 2-for-1 vouchers on the back of Dunnes Stores receipts to get two burgers for price of one (don't really want chips and a drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Cool!

Thanks for the replies; Eddie Rockets it is so.

I am rather partial to a chicken fillet so that suits me just fine!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

After eating in the Huntsman on Sunday before the cinema, I'd be inclined to say Eddie Rockets (which I think is expensive).

The Huntsman was €13.95 + for a main course, and although it was quite tasty, it was small and left us wanting the same again.

On the plus side, staff were very friendly and fairly quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Huntsman is overated. Massively.

And you come out stinking of food if you eat there. No ventilation in the food area from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I wouldn't go near Eddie Rockets again. Overpriced and crap food. Cheese is like it came from a can. Huntsman for decent food - Eddie Rockets for Junk food. It depends on what you consider more satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Fey! wrote: »
    After eating in the Huntsman on Sunday before the cinema, I'd be inclined to say Eddie Rockets (which I think is expensive).

The Huntsman was €13.95 + for a main course, and although it was quite tasty, it was small and left us wanting the same again.

On the plus side, staff were very friendly and fairly quick.

Have really noticed this with the Huntsman. The portions are small enough and for what you are paying for you really shouldn't be hungry 30mins later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Not a fan of either but if I had to choose I'd probably go with Eddie Rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I do like The Huntsman have only been there a few times though, i think i'd go with Eddies instead though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

huntsman, hands down.

Had lunch there today, thought the portion looked small but I was well stuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Huntsman is grand, wouldn't go near Eddie Rockets.

Hi,
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Went to Eddie Rockets and it fitted the bill perfectly. I had no idea the menu had got so big; we had an 'itzy salad' I think it was called to start;the chicken fillet with extra mushrooms on a wholemeal bun; the Classic and some fries and it was under 20euros for 2 people.

Good value in my eyes, filling and tasty.

Oh, the movie was Senna and it was brilliant! Just in case anyone has an interest in F1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

carmex21 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Went to Eddie Rockets and it fitted the bill perfectly. I had no idea the menu had got so big; we had an 'itzy salad' I think it was called to start;the chicken fillet with extra mushrooms on a wholemeal bun; the Classic and some fries and it was under 20euros for 2 people.

Good value in my eyes, filling and tasty.

Oh, the movie was Senna and it was brilliant! Just in case anyone has an interest in F1:)

You wouldnt call it good value if you saw where the chicken came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Would agree with those who say the Hunstman is overrated.

They seem to want to cater for the 'lunching chick market' which is fair enough but for a good feed try elsewhere.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

try elsewhere.

Any recommendations, in that area, that isn't fast food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Was in the eye last night. There is a deal at the minute €28.50 for a meal in the G and then a ticket to any movie. Seemed like a good deal.

kinetic wrote: »
    You wouldnt call it good value if you saw where the chicken came from.

oh, where do they come from?

Was in the eye last night. There is a deal at the minute €28.50 for a meal in the G and then a ticket to any movie. Seemed like a good deal.

I had forgotten about that. We did it a couple of months ago, and it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Fey! wrote: »
    I had forgotten about that. We did it a couple of months ago, and it was very good.
    What course meal in the G was it?

• Advertisement

I think there were options of a 2 course or a 3 course; I was being treated, and I just can't remember.

What course meal in the G was it?

This is it - http://www.theghotel.ie/dinner-movie.html

2 course meal + movie = 29.50
    3 course meal + movie = 37.00
    On the 2 course you can choose starter or dessert and a main.

I have used it before and it is a lovely treat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Went to the Huntsman a while ago. Did notice the portions were very small and not too cheap either.

Mactard wrote: »
    Any recommendations, in that area, that isn't fast food?

Flannerys ( a bit of a hidden gem) have a decent bar food menu on the Dublin Road, otherwise it's town I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Huntsman every time, never got any hair from a personal area in my food there, unlike Eddie Rockets. They didn't give a damn when I brought it to their attention either.

Flannerys ( a bit of a hidden gem) have a decent bar food menu on the Dublin Road, otherwise it's town I guess.

Yeah, choice is limited and town isn't an option for lunch. Haven't heard of Flannerys food, what type of grub do they do?

Mactard wrote: »
    Yeah, choice is limited and town isn't an option for lunch. Haven't heard of Flannerys food, what type of grub do they do?

Daily carvery (never had it), bar food is fish & chips , steak sandwiches etc, all around a tenner, tasty & filling.....decent pint too..

& no I've don't work there or know anyone that does ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hey speaking of nearby hotels, what about the Carlton Hotel (formerly Days Hotel)? They have a restaurant called Rueben's and Bar Solo:

http://www.carltonhotelgalwaycity.com/restaurant

Anyone ever try there? Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

The Carlton's ok.. Better than Eddie Rockets & the Huntsman anyway.
    They do nice burgers & chips and proper dinners too if you don't want junk food..

Advertisement