Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social life with computer science?

• 14-06-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi,

Well I am planning on doing computer science next year but have heard that the workload is supposed to be desperate. I wouldn't mind doing a lot of work and am the sort of person who would rather do something than just be sitting around.

Thing is though, I want to be able to go out in college. There is no point in me asking a stupid question like "could i go out and still do well in the course?".

So instead i'll ask, the people who do the course and get on good in it, what are they like? do they go out often/everyweek?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well I'm a 2nd year going into 3rd year so I'll be doing the same course as you. I got a 2H1 in first year(although it wasn't graded just a Pass/Fail) and that was my elective that brought me down. I got a 1H overall in my CS modules.

Saying that I had time to go out, be a member of a society and go to the gym a few times a week, One thing about CS is if you get to know the people in your course even spending time in the labs can be a laugh, Sometimes you'll get no work done and just be chatting and having a laugh. Don't assume we all sit away from each other and never look away from the monitor :p

Second year, Is a lot tougher in my opinion, Although that might just be cause we were more used to the 'spoon feeding' we may have got in first year. But still lots of people maintained a 'social life' and still kept up with the course work and what not.

To be honest, Some people just click with the module contents others have to work a lot harder at it. It's rewarding though, at the end of first year you'll have made a facebook type site(or anything you like) that you can show to friends... Not many other courses give you a skill like that after first year!

Any more questions, just ask. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

Its the same as any course, you get out of it what you put into it. There aren't too many lectures or labs compared to some courses (such as BIS) but its not as few as Law either like.

First year is a complete doddle compared to the rest of it, even if you have no experience with computers you should fly though it quite easily, although you'd need to put in a bit of effort to get a 1H.

2nd year is a right pain, probably the busiest out of all of them as its introducing you to OO programming and various other new concepts in a lot more depth than first year. 3rd year is grand (no lectures after x-mas just project work) and work experience (which I'm on right now) is great!

Infact the biggest social disadvantage is not the hours you need to put in, but the isolation from the main campus. You'll miss out on most things as theres just one, not very noticeable, notice board and when, for example, we (NetSoc) tried to run one day of a week long rag week event down in the WGB two years ago we were told we had to hold it on main campus instead.

All in all you could put no effort in, and coast through no problem and come out with a very average degree if you wanted to spend every single night out and socializing, but if you put in even the minimum required time and effort for any college course then you'll do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

Liveit wrote: »
    Hi,

Well I am planning on doing computer science next year but have heard that the workload is supposed to be desperate. I wouldn't mind doing a lot of work and am the sort of person who would rather do something than just be sitting around.

Thing is though, I want to be able to go out in college. There is no point in me asking a stupid question like "could i go out and still do well in the course?".

So instead i'll ask, the people who do the course and get on good in it, what are they like? do they go out often/everyweek?

god help you when you get a job lol

college is overrated really no panic just dont put things off and let them buid up and you'll be fine, just dont get lazy!! or everything will seam like a mountain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Already have a job sparks24 ;)

Thanks lads, just wanted a bit more info on the course and what it's like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

i was in first year this year, i think its a great course, most the lecturers are awesome, some are not. if you've any interest in it passing first year will be easy. be carefull which elective module you pick, i found myself working more on that than any other module come study month. what was said earlier about the craic in the labs is right and sometime you get nothing done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

teddy b123 wrote: »
    i was in first year this year, i think its a great course, most the lecturers are awesome, some are not. if you've any interest in it passing first year will be easy. be carefull which elective module you pick, i found myself working more on that than any other module come study month. what was said earlier about the craic in the labs is right and sometime you get nothing done!

sup teddy :D

you can go out as much as you want, was out till 4am one night and still got through my maths test the next day :D

Advertisement