Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delhurst mews (Ongar)

Options
  • 14-06-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

Good morning

Odd request but I'm sticking an offer on a house in the above.

Just off hand, does anyone know the area or live there even? What's the all round verdict?

I never heard of that particular part of Ongar until I was looking.

appreciated.

PS: PM's welcome too!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

I live in Hayworth mews and its a nice little area very quiet never any hassle or trouble.

If you want some more information about Ongar try www.ongar.ie the residents association website.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I live in Delhurst and it is fine. There are less apartments (more terraced housing) in this part of Ongar so not as high density which is probably a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Thanks for that.

It looks to be a really nice house. God help you all if I buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikegalway

Hi,
    Is it no. 16 you're looking at?. I was looking at 16 but couldn't get morgage approval. Anyways, best of luck if it is, was a cracking house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Boyfriend used to live in a house share there, quiet place and close to everything :)

• Advertisement

mikegalway wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is it no. 16 you're looking at?. I was looking at 16 but couldn't get morgage approval. Anyways, best of luck if it is, was a cracking house...

yes i looked at it late last week, a perfectly fine house. ive been told there have been some visits but i feel the asking is a little too much its quite tight. if it were priced slightly better (than accepted price) id buy no problem.

I'd say stick to whatever price you had set for yourself. it's a buyer's market and sellers are desperate to sell but at the highest price possible and the real estate agent's job is to get that highest price. The agents will give the usual bull that there is high demand/lots of visits from interested parties etc etc. That was fine in the boom but doesn't cut it today. Make it clear (if you really like the house) that you are prepared to hand over x amount but no more. Unless your limit is crazily below the asking price, I'd say you would have it.

I cry when I see the prices of much nicer/larger homes around me costing so much less than what I paid 6 years ago for my humble duplex...still I have a roof over my head that I can call my own (well mine and the bank for the next 24 years....!)

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'd say stick to whatever price you had set for yourself. it's a buyer's market and sellers are desperate to sell but at the highest price possible and the real estate agent's job is to get that highest price. The agents will give the usual bull that there is high demand/lots of visits from interested parties etc etc. That was fine in the boom but doesn't cut it today. Make it clear (if you really like the house) that you are prepared to hand over x amount but no more. Unless your limit is crazily below the asking price, I'd say you would have it.

I cry when I see the prices of much nicer/larger homes around me costing so much less than what I paid 6 years ago for my humble duplex...still I have a roof over my head that I can call my own (well mine and the bank for the next 24 years....!)

OngarBoy, thanks for the response.

I am leaning toward what you say alright. The EA were doing their job and doing it good :)

They urged a deposit to be entered, they stated high demand and although there was viewings and there were; it's up for 184, i tried it at 165 and no interest. they stated a 170 offer was made but no deposit. very convenient.

More than happy to buy it but with no side entrance and a relatively tight downstairs not to mention no way to dry clothes or space to install a clothes dryer - I reckon I'd be had at 170k.

It's a really, really nice all round house up there but decoration only takes it so far and I know i must judge a house on it's location, size, practicality and comparison to similar prices such as those I highlighted in TT.

I have mortgage approval now from two lenders, but let me tell you :) id say it's tougher buying a house now because you buying with the knowledge prices will drop more and not increase so i need to be very very clear on what i want in terms of house and contents but also what i want to pay and what further drop the property is likely to take.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

"From the peak of the market in 2006, Dublin house prices have fallen in real terms by 60.2%, while the national market has corrected by 55.2%," Sherry Fitzgerald said.

Play HARD BALL Buddy ..... BALL IS IN YOUR COURT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

OngarBoy, thanks for the response.

I am leaning toward what you say alright. The EA were doing their job and doing it good :)

They urged a deposit to be entered, they stated high demand and although there was viewings and there were; it's up for 184, i tried it at 165 and no interest. they stated a 170 offer was made but no deposit. very convenient.

More than happy to buy it but with no side entrance and a relatively tight downstairs not to mention no way to dry clothes or space to install a clothes dryer - I reckon I'd be had at 170k.

It's a really, really nice all round house up there but decoration only takes it so far and I know i must judge a house on it's location, size, practicality and comparison to similar prices such as those I highlighted in TT.

I have mortgage approval now from two lenders, but let me tell you :) id say it's tougher buying a house now because you buying with the knowledge prices will drop more and not increase so i need to be very very clear on what i want in terms of house and contents but also what i want to pay and what further drop the property is likely to take.

:rolleyes:

Go back next week and offer 160 saying you are moving on to other cheaper options now on the market if they don't accept. 17 Hayworth Mews is on myhome.ie asking 169 so you can point to that as well as two beds far below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Peteirl

16 Delhurst Mews is now Sale agreed - we viewed it also and were meant to have a 2nd viewing yesterday. The end sale price was 175k
    We also viewed the one in 17 Hayworth for 169 - you would have bit of work to do with it - there was a leak from the flashing in the top bedroom and all flooring would need replacing along with a repaint/decorate - anyways.... we decided against it but the guy from Property Shop seems under pressure to get it off the books encouraging us to place a bid no matter how low. I reckon 140k would get you that house if you really wanted it - but you'd have a little bit of work to do

Peteirl wrote: »
    16 Delhurst Mews is now Sale agreed - we viewed it also and were meant to have a 2nd viewing yesterday. The end sale price was 175k
    We also viewed the one in 17 Hayworth for 169 - you would have bit of work to do with it - there was a leak from the flashing in the top bedroom and all flooring would need replacing along with a repaint/decorate - anyways.... we decided against it but the guy from Property Shop seems under pressure to get it off the books encouraging us to place a bid no matter how low. I reckon 140k would get you that house if you really wanted it - but you'd have a little bit of work to do

16 delhurst mews is a really nice house, but it's tight. You would have tp pull bins from the back to he front through the house and the buyer will need to find somewhere to fit a clothes dryer. there is none.

Very well decorated house mind you - ps: I stuck an offer on another house, let's see how I get on ;)

We also decided against this and put a bid in on another house in Ongar. And were sale agreed - hopefully we made the right choice

We also decided against this and put a bid in on another house in Ongar. And were sale agreed - hopefully we made the right choice

Property Shop guy came back and told us Hayworth mews - the owner would accept 150k. If you had a good decorating budget I reckon it would be a good buy

Property Shop guy came back and told us Hayworth mews - the owner would accept 150k. If you had a good decorating budget I reckon it would be a good buy

I'm looking at a house in Bramblefield tomorrow...let's see if an offer will be considered.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I'm looking at a house in Bramblefield tomorrow...let's see if an offer will be considered.;)

How did the viewing go Chuck?

How did the viewing go Chuck?

went very well. extremely nice house and something i'm very interested in. what they want and what i'm prepared to spend maybe an issue but i'll soon see.

i'll make an offer and take it from there.

clonee is a nice settled area all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Bramblefield?

simpson-76.38051518.1492016348.0.jpg

Which house?

Hi guys! Wondering if anyone can help me. We were buying a home in Ongar and my solicitor has hit a snag due to new legislation and management companies. Under new legislation (mixed use developments) from Oct 1st the management company/developer must comply. Although I have read it - I don't understand it but my solicitor said he can't see anyway to soon purchase the house as he can't proceed until everything is compliant as if we wanted to sell the house tomorrow we wouldn't be able to and he can't honestly tell the bank things are fine to proceed. He suggested we pull out of the sale and buy elsewhere. This house is in Delhurst area so I'm guessing that it won't just affect these houses but most of ongar. Any ideas/help/input?

Hi guys! Wondering if anyone can help me. We were buying a home in Ongar and my solicitor has hit a snag due to new legislation and management companies. Under new legislation (mixed use developments) from Oct 1st the management company/developer must comply. Although I have read it - I don't understand it but my solicitor said he can't see anyway to soon purchase the house as he can't proceed until everything is compliant as if we wanted to sell the house tomorrow we wouldn't be able to and he can't honestly tell the bank things are fine to proceed. He suggested we pull out of the sale and buy elsewhere. This house is in Delhurst area so I'm guessing that it won't just affect these houses but most of ongar. Any ideas/help/input?

http://mckeeverrowan.ie/MUD-Act.html

This is the legislation - looks like it's in the residents interest but strange that my solicitor couldnt get confirmation that everything is in order

• Advertisement

http://mckeeverrowan.ie/MUD-Act.html

This is the legislation - looks like it's in the residents interest but strange that my solicitor couldnt get confirmation that everything is in order

Please keep me posted on this. It's not something i even knew about. Bramblefield view is sale agreed, at 175k as far as i know. I'll keep looking.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-market-recovery-years-away-2850004.html

Brokers insisted that the collapse in mortgage lending is largely due to banks being reluctant to lend. Director of Irish Mortgage Brokers, Karl Deeter, said banks were approving people in principle for loans but when it came to the crunch they found a reason not to lend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Can you give some detail as to what your solicitor said? I have a fair to reasonable understanding of the Multi Unit Developements Act 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alencrn

It might be a stupid to ask ,but why so many people sell their houses in Delhurst area . Seems to me it is nice area for living with close proximity of shops , schools and transport . And at the top of that ,they are ready to settle for less and less and the prices are keep on falling down .thanks

alencrn wrote: »
    It might be a stupid to ask ,but why so many people sell their houses in Delhurst area . Seems to me it is nice area for living with close proximity of shops , schools and transport . And at the top of that ,they are ready to settle for less and less and the prices are keep on falling down .thanks

The only thing I can think of is the high percentage of rented properties. Very little appears to be selling there as Ive been watching properties there over past year. We had sale agreed on a property there last summer and opted against it in the end. Why pay management fees etc etc when you could get somewhere like Allendale or Beechfield or Bramblefield for same price with none

it makes you wonder when Delhurst and Ongar in general will be handed over to Fingal for external/grounds/footpaths etc maintenance. My property in Delhurst was built in 2003. It seems like a fully completed estate so I wonder what the hold up is. The thought of paying mgt fees for another 10 years or more is depressing :mad: The mgt company gave some vague response about a year ago that there are still some snags that need to be completed before handover. But if your developer has gone bust, what happens then??

I know as soon as Ongar is handed over i think my management fees will be gone as I live in a house so I am basically paying the fees for the open spaces.

I sent and e-mail to Fingal about getting the green in Ongar cut as it looks a mess and below is the response.

The Council is engaged in negotiations with the Receiver appointed to the developers Manor Park Homes in order to complete the open spaces and other services in the Estate to enable them to be taken into maintenance by the Council. This is a complicated process due to the fact that there are a number of different developments involved throughout Fingal. The Council is confident that a resolution will be achieved, but until this happens the open space as you describe it will unfortunately continue in its current state.

I agree that this is a frustrating situation especially given the works recently carried out to improve the Hansfield Road for pedestrians and cyclists, but please be assured that once the legalities have been sorted out we will make arrangements to get the area cut and tidied, and brought into regular maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

robbie000 wrote: »
    I know as soon as Ongar is handed over i think my management fees will be gone as I live in a house so I am basically paying the fees for the open spaces.

Not iintirely true while COCO's can be mandate to take over the green areas. The issue with fee for house is the maintenance out side the house and such that will not be covered by the COCO

While people may say they will look after the own area, everyone has a separate contract that the area will be maintained to certain level and all would have to agree and not just a vote of majorette

That or take over the management as a group, but that would bring people into dispute with neighbours that wont pay or do their bit to clean the place up

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

*resurrecting an old thread

Hi

I'm looking to buy a house around Delhurst/Hayworth areas - would really love some insights from anyone living around there please ...

What is the area like from a renter/owner point of view? - i know a few people who've rented and said they wouldn't buy because the huge amount of renters that don't care about the area.

Extensions - from driving around and the fingal planning permission site, I'm not seeing a huge amount of extensions. Is it difficult to get permission in those areas? or do people generally not bother?

*I'm looking at a 2 bed but I'm already thinking it would probably need an extension out the back (cant currently afford a 3 bed)

thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi,

Well im still living in Ongar and most of my neighbours are here as long as me which is over 10 years.
    Management company is still in charge of the upkeep but they seem to be doing a good job. Nice area no hassle from any neighbours.

I know three houses close by that have gotten extensions only ground floor level that didn't see to be much of an issue. You should park up your car and go for a walk around the different roads and you will see some of these.

From what I can see when I do be out for a walk all of the properties are going sale agreed fairly quickly but that's the same as other estates I do walk by outside Ongar.

Advertisement