Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking in the UK while resident in ROI

Options
  • 14-06-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic!

I'm looking for some opinions from people who have had experience of moving money to the UK banks.

I'm worried about the future of deposits in this country at the moment and would like to safeguard what little I have (about €40k).

UK banks' email contacts are hard to find, and I have no patience for call centres, so any tips I can pick up here would be appreciated.

Some specific questions:
    What is best, a € or GBP account?
    Can you transfer funds electronically to a UK account from an Irish account? (I do a lot of online banking).

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

What is best, EUR or GBP?

What do you want? Do you use GBP for any other purpose? Have you any income or expenditure in GBP? Are you prepared to take on exchange risks? What happens if GB goes bust or GBP collapses?

EUR - If EUR collapses, won't the EUR you hold in UK go the same way? If Ireland collapses, will EUR collapse as well?

With some banks, you can do international transfers, with others, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

International transfers with PTSB (€1,500 online and same over telephone, but there is a max of €50,000 in branch) also with BOI (€3,000 online)

Advertisement