Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for garlic allergy

Options
  • 14-06-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

For someone with a garlic allergy/intolerance, is there any restaurant you would particularly recommend in Dublin?
    Or is it the case that any good chef will cook your food without garlic?

Are there any types of cuisine that would be more suitable for such a person (i.e. presumably if the food relies heavily on garlic for flavour then cooking it without garlic means you get a pretty crappy meal)

I want to get a restaurant voucher as a gift, but am conscious that their garlic allergy can sometimes make eating out a bit of a chore, so want to put some thought into it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Kooli wrote: »
    Hi there,

For someone with a garlic allergy/intolerance, is there any restaurant you would particularly recommend in Dublin?
    Or is it the case that any good chef will cook your food without garlic?

Are there any types of cuisine that would be more suitable for such a person (i.e. presumably if the food relies heavily on garlic for flavour then cooking it without garlic means you get a pretty crappy meal)

I want to get a restaurant voucher as a gift, but am conscious that their garlic allergy can sometimes make eating out a bit of a chore, so want to put some thought into it.

Thanks!

How bad is your allegy? If its bad I wouldn't recommend eating out at all. Its not just about if the chef uses garlic in your dish or not but has any implement or ingredients he uses in preparation of your dish had contact with garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

No it's not for me, it's for a friend. She does eat out so I guess it's not a very severe allergy, I just want to put some thought into the gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As someone who can't stand taste or smell of garlic (and it makes me feel physically sick) it's tough eating out.
    Even things that might not seem like they'd have garlic can have it in it. If I'm getting anything that's been marinated or has a sauce etc. I will always ask if it's done with garlic.
    Noodles are generally done in garlic on the wok too so have to steer clear of that.

A lot of chinese/japanese/indian/italian/other type places you have to be so careful because most things will have garlic in them somewhere.

I usually end up going for things I know definitely wouldn't have garlic, and even then generally ask to check. Like chips / some fish / plain chicken such as tenders or something (Again I'd ask) and anything that has sauce I would ask for it on the side.

I don't think it's a case of 'any good chef will cook without it' because sometimes a lot of the sauces/meats are somewhat preprepared, and the pots/pans have been used with garlic items so they mightn't actually be able to offer that.

I'd go for a general restaurant -- one that does a wide variety, of meat/chicken/fish dishes, where you'd get veg/chips/mash with it. Because then hopefully there'd be something on the menu they could choose from. If you chose say an italian restaurant, you'd be hard pushed to find something without garlic in it.

I know that doesn't help with choosing a place but if you're looking at places near her or places easy for her you can check out their menus and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

What type of restaurant were you looking for? I have an allergy to garlic and can recommend places, but I need a bit of direction of what kind of thing you're looking for.

Yes, avoid ethnic except Jaipur or Yamamori - they can accomodate.

The only two places I have not been able to eat in, as in, I've had to walk back out of because they can't accomodate are La Stampa and Town Bar and Grill - oh, and Avoca use garlic in everything too.

My favourite restaurants are Thornton's (for lunch especially, great value) and Bang.

I tend to veer towards the more "fancier" restaurants, because the chefs can think on their feet and work around garlic issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

You should be able to walk into most restaurants and ask for something with no garlic,/ flour/ dairy.Most places have requests like this every day.Chefs should be able to come up with something.If you are refused in a restaurant I would be amazed.
    Lot sauces dont have garlic .There are loads things that spring to.mind without garlic.
    Maybe Chinese places would be an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

eternal wrote: »
    You should be able to walk into most restaurants and ask for something with no garlic,/ flour/ dairy.Most places have requests like this every day.Chefs should be able to come up with something.If you are refused in a restaurant I would be amazed.
    Lot sauces dont have garlic .There are loads things that spring to.mind without garlic.
    Maybe Chinese places would be an exception.

It sounds simple but it not the case, look at how many food products each year that food companies have to withdrawn because they don't have an allergen causing ingredient listed on the packaging or possible exposure to an allergy causing ingredient during the process and restaurant kitchens are way less regimented in allergen control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

What type of restaurant were you looking for? I have an allergy to garlic and can recommend places, but I need a bit of direction of what kind of thing you're looking for.

Yes, avoid ethnic except Jaipur or Yamamori - they can accomodate.

The only two places I have not been able to eat in, as in, I've had to walk back out of because they can't accomodate are La Stampa and Town Bar and Grill - oh, and Avoca use garlic in everything too.

My favourite restaurants are Thornton's (for lunch especially, great value) and Bang.

I tend to veer towards the more "fancier" restaurants, because the chefs can think on their feet and work around garlic issues.

That's really helpful thanks.

I also got in touch with Rustic Stone and they said nothing has garlic in it unless garlic is actually mentioned on the menu.

But maybe Bang is an option, I love that place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Corsendonk wrote: »
    It sounds simple but it not the case, look at how many food products each year that food companies have to withdrawn because they don't have an allergen causing ingredient listed on the packaging or possible exposure to an allergy causing ingredient during the process and restaurant kitchens are way less regimented in allergen control.
    How many restaurant kitchens have you worked in where this was the case?

Advertisement