Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you go out with someone who doesn't drink?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Spread wrote: »
    1)...If you don't like the taste it gets nicer after a few.
    No - for a lot of folk, it don't.
    2) Drink is a social lubricant. I wouldn't say Nuns (although very interesting - if you like that sort of thing) are the life and soul of the party.
    ..And people that are fully drunk all the time are so much fun too?
    If your going to go to extremes to try prove something - others can too - and still be as equally farcical with examples!
    3) Or people in England are pressurised into eating Fish 'n Chips/people in Germany presurised into eating Bratwurst/people in Saudi pressurised into drinking Mint tea or in Mexico, being pressured into drinking Tequila.
    No, but then again, they are not drugs in liquid form that effect the brain and reduce inhibitions in the brain cells which otherwise might keep the light of common-sense and decently still lit fully!
    ...Only your inhibitions are stopping you going with the flow.
    ...True - but the flow don't have always just to be alcohol!
    If thats as far as one can see, one is a horse wearing blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

1) A generalisation yes. But how can you prove ther is a God. If you don't like the taste it gets nicer after a few.

2) Drink is a social lubricant. I wouldn't say Nuns (although very interesting - if you like that sort of thing) are the life and soul of the party.

3) Or people in England are pressurised into eating Fish 'n Chips/people in Germany presurised into eating Bratwurst/people in Saudi pressurised into drinking Mint tea or in Mexico, being pressured into drinking Tequila.

Only your inhibitions are stopping you going with the flow.

Why would you force yourself to drink something you don't like, just because you might like it if you drink enough?

Nuns drink.

I am German, I can't stand Bratwurst. And guess what, it didn't make me a social pariah...

"Everybody does it" is the worst kind of argument for any behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Why do you think that most people who are out for a night congregate in pubs and not in carparks or other such places?

Such places as theatres, cafes, cinemas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Why do you think that most people who are out for a night congregate in pubs and not in carparks or other such places?

so now pubs are for the exclusive use of alcohol drinkers only? they're public houses with a license to sell alcohol.
    plenty of ken acres congregate in car parks at weekends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

1) A generalisation yes. But how can you prove ther is a God. If you don't like the taste it gets nicer after a few.

Only your inhibitions are stopping you going with the flow.

1. Some people never like the taste, even people who drink!

2. Not all people who don't drink are nuns. And most nuns can drink. How do you know they're not the life and soul of the party?

3. They're not equivalent examples, as they don't have the narcotic effect that alcohol has, and aren't as ingrained into each culture to the extent that drinking is here. No one in England would think you're crazy for not liking fish and chips.

People have many different reasons for not going with the flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Biggins wrote: »
    No - for a lot of folk, it don't.

..And people that are fully drunk all the time are so much fun too?
    If your going to go to extremes to try prove something - others can too - and still be as equally farcical with examples!

No, but then again, they are not drugs in liquid form that effect the brain and reduce inhibitions in the brain cells which otherwise might keep the light of common-sense and decently still lit fully!

...True - but the flow don't have always just to be alcohol!
    If thats as far as one can see, one is a horse wearing blinkers.

1) OK, alcohol dulls your senses but not your taste, that's a new one on me

2) Who's talking about people that are drunk? You are

3) Mint tea and Tequila aren't drugs? Hmmmmmm!

Blinkered or not blinkered, horses like to drink :)

When I'm out, once in a while some ask "Why you not drinking?"
    ...I simply reply words to the effect "...for the same reason your not possibly out taking heroine, speedballs and injecting" ...and I walk way!
    It leaves them speechless and if they have half a brain, they can work out the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

NuMarvel wrote: »
    So, to summarise:

You don't have a problem with him not drinking.
    He presumably doesn't have a problem with your drinking.
    You don't have a problem with your drinking.

So.... what's the problem again?

I don't know.
    I guess I don't really have a "problem" as such.

I suppose it just took me aback because a 20 year old guy who doesn't drink isn't exactly the norm here.
    I was also wondering about what would happen as regards me going out, his attitude towards me drinking, and whether or not I'd feel comfortable drinking around someone who doesn't.

For the record, I'm not one of those people who pushes drinks on people who don't drink or people who don't feel like drinking on a particular occasion.

I started the thread because I rarely come across (that I know of anyway) a guy my age who doesnt drink at all whatsoever. I guess he is different again because he chooses not to drink for health reasons. Like it or not, he is unusual, considering our drinking culture in Ireland.
    Just looking for opinions is all, its not like I was thinking "omg what a freak".

Shenshen wrote: »
    Why would you force yourself to drink something you don't like, just because you might like it if you drink enough?

Nuns drink.

I am German, I can't stand Bratwurst. And guess what, it didn't make me a social pariah...

"Everybody does it" is the worst kind of argument for any behaviour.

Guten Abend Shenshen!

Nobody forces anyone. It's just some people resist

C'mon now! A glass of Sherry

Neither would Jaegermeister. Although it might affect your self esteem.

Nobody is saying "everyone does" .......... but you'll find the the one's that do, smile more

1) OK, alcohol dulls your senses but not your taste, that's a new one on me

2) Who's talking about people that are drunk? You are

3) Mint tea and Tequila aren't drugs? Hmmmmmm!

Blinkered or not blinkered, horses like to drink :)

1. Your taste buds don't die after one or six pints of something rotten either.
    For a lot of folk, a lot of things stay rotten, after one sip or after the tenth.

2. Well if you can go to extremes of people that might be possibly dry - I can equally to to the opposite end of the scale as regards drunks!
    Both are stupid examples to try explain a point!

3. You missed the point again haven't you. This does not surprise me.

4. Horses like to drink - but they might turn out to be your worst (night)mare!

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Such places as theatres, cafes, cinemas?

Exactly! But here, as in schone Deutsch, talking is verboten in Theatres and Cinemas. Now unless you are communicating in sign language ........ which will also complicate things with other viewers .......

so now pubs are for the exclusive use of alcohol drinkers only? they're public houses with a license to sell alcohol.
    plenty of ken acres congregate in car parks at weekends anyway.

"For most people", refer to post. The good thing about pubs is, you don't need an umbrella or wellies. And they are both cigarette smoke and exhaust-fume free :)

1. Some people never like the taste, even people who drink!

2. Not all people who don't drink are nuns. And most nuns can drink. How do you know they're not the life and soul of the party?

3. They're not equivalent examples, as they don't have the narcotic effect that alcohol has, and aren't as ingrained into each culture to the extent that drinking is here. No one in England would think you're crazy for not liking fish and chips.

People have many different reasons for not going with the flow.

1) Perhaps Pavlov's Dog didn't like the first few feeds but after he realised that it sated his pangs .......

2) If the cloistered parties were that good the vocations would not be tanking

3) Who's talking about people being "crazy" for not liking alcohol?

4) Agreed. But some shrinks cite neurosis - be it artistic or pathogenic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Exactly! But here, as in schone Deutsch, talking is verboten in Theatres and Cinemas. Now unless you are communicating in sign language ........ which will also complicate things with other viewers .......

Facepalm

...I simply reply words to the effect "...for the same reason your not possibly out taking heroine, speedballs and injecting" ...and I walk way!
    It leaves them speechless and if they have half a brain, they can work out the point!

That's rather curt and dismissive. Surely it would be more sociable to explain in a nice way. But then again, you don't have any social lubricant on board and your sober personality is creeping out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'd defo go out with a non drinker.

She'd have to have her own car though otherwise there's no benefit to it :)

1) Perhaps Pavlov's Dog didn't like the first few feeds but after he realised that it sated his pangs .......

2) If the cloistered parties were that good the vocations would not be tanking

3) Who's talking about people being "crazy" for not liking alcohol?

4) Agreed. But some shrinks cite neurosis - be it artistic or pathogenic

1. Wouldn't coke or 7-up also sate his pangs?

2. I think that even if people did find out about the secret nun raves, many other aspects of the religion and its institutions would put them off signing up.

3. Lots of people in this country think you're crazy if you don't drink.

That's rather curt and dismissive. Surely it would be more sociable to explain in a nice way. But then again, you don't have any social lubricant on board and your sober personality is creeping out

It would be more sociable not to ask invasive and/or personal interfering questions (works both way! Surprise!), ones possibly been asked with an undertone of peer pressure - so forgive me if I answer rudeness back by making a point to the ignorant, indignant and nosey!

Facepalm

D'oh! This thread would almost drive you to the refrigerator .......... to check the Duff level :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Next time when asked why you do not drink(there is always one idiot who asks)try, "It's because i am an alcoholic and turn into a stark raving loony when i start on the strong stuff."
    That is a certain way of getting either a blank look of shock or a mumbled half arse apology.:D

• Advertisement

1. Wouldn't coke or 7-up also sate his pangs?

2. I think that even if people did find out about the secret nun raves, many other aspects of the religion and its institutions would put them off signing up.

3. Lots of people in this country think you're crazy if you don't drink.

1) Aspartame is not good for little doggies. Neither little fizzy bubbles up it's nose

2) Again, don't go with the flow ........ lest you get into the habit

3) Oops! Good job ye are in the minority then. A crazy majority could be lethal to the day-to-day running of the country

It would be more sociable not to ask invasive and/or personal interfering questions (works both way! Surprise!), ones possibly been asked with an undertone of peer pressure - so forgive me if I answer rudeness back by making a point to the ignorant, indignant and nosey!

Biggins - old boy! Nothing wrong with not drinking but nothing wrong with drinking either. In the case of what you refer to ......... perhaps saying to the man/woman involved "Why does your wife keep smiling at people?", or if it's a woman speak about her VPL. That will have her feeling het butt all night. If they ask a question because of awkwardness reply with an answer that will press their insecurity button.
    (A few visits to the gym/boxing club would be advised before for the former).

1) Aspartame is not good for little doggies. Neither little fizzy bubbles up it's nose

2) Again, don't go with the flow ........ lest you get into the habit

3) Oops! Good job ye are in the minority then. A crazy majority could be lethal to the day-to-day running of the country

I think we've already proved that in this country unfortunately!

I think we've already proved that in this country unfortunately!

Ah Christ now! No need for that :)

Ah Christ now! No need for that :)

Just kidding of course, but we are in a bit of a state at the moment!

Biggins - old boy! Nothing wrong with not drinking but nothing wrong with drinking either. In the case of what you refer to ......... perhaps saying to the man/woman involved "Why does your wife keep smiling at people?", or if it's a woman speak about her VPL. That will have her feeling het butt all night. If they ask a question because of awkwardness reply with an answer that will press their insecurity button.
    (A few visits to the gym/boxing club would be advised before for the former).
    Never said there was anythign wrong with drink - as there is with not taking any.
    Simples!

If people ask what really is an intrusive, irrelevant question, they reap what they sow.
    Do you go up to a person and ask "Why aren't you taking speed? - why aren't you taking drugs? - why aren't you a smoker?

I think not. So why does "why are you not a drinker?" any different?
    ..."Aaa... well thats different of course!" :rolleyes:

My arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I haven't tried heroin, should I try it?

Honestly, what a stupid comment!

(I do drink btw)

Calling you out on an idiotic strawman argument.

Comparing alcohol to heroin is like comparing a whip to a shotgun and is thoroughly retarded, offensive to both the aim of this thread and to the very purpose of a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

in one way its a blessing (free lifts home :D) but i still dont think I could do it, as I dont think anyone who doesnt drink would go out with somebody who gets pissed the majority of the week, it would probably cause a lot of arguments

Never said there was anythign wrong with drink - as there is with not taking any.
    Simples!

If people ask what really is an intrusive, irrelevant question, they reap what they sow.
    Do you go up to a person and ask "Why aren't you taking speed? - why aren't you taking drugs? - why aren't you a smoker?

I think not. So why does "why are you not a drinker?" any different?
    ..."Aaa... well thats different of course!" :rolleyes:

My arse!

Right then! Way past my Camomile tea and few hours on the recliner. Hope I don't dream of hard living Nuns.

WHAT WAS IT THAT THE OP ASKED ADVICE ON AGAIN :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I would go out with anyone who is willing to sleep with me. Anyone.

:pac:

Advertisement