Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandy Bridge motherboards

Options
  • 14-06-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've ordered an i5 2500k. With it I ordered this motherboard. This is the correct board to take advantage of the CPU right?

It's just I noticed this cheaper one that might have done the job?

I was under the impression that I needed a P67 or H67 board so make the most make the most of the 2500k?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you want to take full advantage of the i5-2500k (i.e. overclock it) then you need a P67 board like the one you ordered or a Z68 one. The H67 or H61 boards won't allow you to overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Great thanks. What kind of gains should I expect from the 2500k on stock cooling? It's a loooong time since i did any overclocking :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Most people have been able to get to 4.0 - 4.2GHz on the the stock cooler without too much hassle, probably higher if you have a decent case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

deconduo wrote: »
    Most people have been able to get to 4.0 - 4.2GHz on the the stock cooler without too much hassle, probably higher if you have a decent case.

I am wondering about this, here is the system I am buying: http://omg.wthax.org/finished.jpg
    Will this be ok to OC to 4/4.2 without any additional cpu cooler? what if I got a couple of case fans instead?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Guru3D guys managed to hit 4.6ghz on a stock cooler, so 4 should be manageable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is that maintainable, even with higher end coolers i don't see them going past 4.6

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10

The i5's are seriously overclockable by the way.

Here's another quick article on getting it at 4.5

Seriously though, its lightning fast on stock speed anyway!

thanks for the linx will have a read! hope it's really fast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If you get a good chip you can get 5ghz out of them but you might need water for it. The 2600k's can get there on air though.

Advertisement