Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* IRISH PAPER 2, HL, how was it for you? * (one thread please)

• 14-06-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

What a nice paper I thought!!!

Bean og
    Cearrbach
    Lig sinn

Jack
    Bimse buan
    Gealt

Oiche nollaig na mban
    Dan do mhelissa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

What a nice paper I thought!!!

Bean og
    Cearrbach
    Lig sinn

Jack
    Bimse buan
    Gealt

Oiche nollaig na mban
    Dan do mhelissa

Ya it was except i didn't study either HL poems so i had to bs my way through them:(
    Ah well i only want a pass anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Oiche nollaig, please please PLEASE! *Crosses fingers*

**** YEAH!
    ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So so easy. Exactly what I thought would be on it....and since I didn't study half the course, I'm delighted. I love Oiche Nollag na mBan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

I think i misinterpreted the an triail q. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

That paper was suprisingly Doable! No nasty tricks played by bringing up last years stuff, nearly all the expectations were up except for an Toileáin :)

Can't say anything regarding an Triail seeing as we do Madhaic Dainín but the questions for that were VERY broad and very fair.

• Advertisement

I thought it was very easy. Nice questions, exactly what I wanted to come up. Nothing too difficult.

Only thing that caught me was the Stair na Gaeilge so I did 4 of them instead and made up a load of crap for 3. Hopefully I'll sneak a few marks here and there...Fiannaíochta was grand.

Possibly the easiest Irish paper possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Excellent! I think it went so well that a B3 isn't out of the possibility altogether!
    I think i misinterpreted the an triail q.

Which one did you do? I have a feeling I might have missed the point on it slightly but still gave a full blown answer.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Excellent! I think it went to well that a B3 isn't out of the possibility altogether!

Which one did you do? I have a feeling I might have missed the point on it slightly but still gave a full blown answer.

the first one! i did a good answer like i just found it hard to know exactly what they wanted? how did you answer it?

the first one! i did a good answer like i just found it hard to know exactly what they wanted? how did you answer it?
    I had a feeling it had something to do with the contrast between the two characters, I basically talked about Pádraig and how he fooled her and then abaondoned her and that he was cruel, and that Mailí was nice and was one of the only people who bothered helping Máire when she lost everything. I hope I did it right

Google Translate spat this out at me:
    "The personalities of Pádraig and Mailí in the play "The Trial" show conflicting sides of life Máire lived."
    Hope I did it okay :)

Only question I think I snuffed it on was the Cearrbhach question about pity for him. I answered it, but I just couldn't remember the particular words used to describe the story so I had to run around in circles a bit to get through it. Only worth 15 marks maximum so not too bad. I answered everything as comprehensively as I could :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BubblesXD

It was okay, just hope I pass it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Was the second question in An Triail

"The main Conflict put foreward in An Triail was big for the life in ireland at the time.
    Discuss this statement.

Did 4 1/2 pages. Paragraph on how their family looked at her being pregnant.
    The 'washing rooms' in how she is looked at as bad as all the 'striapachs there'
    Padraigs attidude when he is confronted by her.
    Then wrapped these all up as a generalisation for people of irelands basic view of her being pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

VERY fair paper :D

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I had a feeling it had something to do with the contrast between the two characters, I basically talked about Pádraig and how he fooled her and then abaondoned her and that he was cruel, and that Mailí was nice and was one of the only people who bothered helping Máire when she lost everything. I hope I did it right

Google Translate spat this out at me:
    "The personalities of Pádraig and Mailí in the play "The Trial" show conflicting sides of life Máire lived."
    Hope I did it okay :)

Only question I think I snuffed it on was the Cearrbhach question about pity for him. I answered it, but I just couldn't remember the particular words used to describe the story so I had to run around in circles a bit to get through it. Only worth 15 marks maximum so not too bad. I answered everything as comprehensively as I could :)

oh my god if that's it i'll be delighted that's exactly what i answered! i just got a fright when i came out and someone told me i was meant to write all about the way that Padraig and Maili lived their lives, ie. catholic schoolteacher/prostitute. pheeeeewww. really banking on the A1 in irish! hope it'll work out for you! :)

EDIT: oh and thanks for the translation! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Grand paper :) hopefully I can pass irish now! but the most important thing today is that I NEVER HAVE TO WRITE OR SPEAK IRISH AGAIN :D YAAAAAAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

All the stuff id studied came up! F**cking hand is dead now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

i thought it was such a nice paper! i was so happy oiltean didnt come up :):) i was very happy with the paper.. i really want a b3 or 2... i dont know what il get though.....aghh :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

That was really nice, I was expecting that to be my worst paper but I was pretty happy! The brilliance of low expectations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Was the second question in An Triail

"The main Conflict put foreward in An Triail was big for the life in ireland at the time.
    Discuss this statement.

Did 4 1/2 pages. Paragraph on how their family looked at her being pregnant.
    The 'washing rooms' in how she is looked at as bad as all the 'striapachs there'
    Padraigs attidude when he is confronted by her.
    Then wrapped these all up as a generalisation for people of irelands basic view of her being pregnant.

Shiiiiiiiiizer.. If you're right (which you probably are) then I'm fo0ked.. I took it up as

"The main conflicts in An Triail add a lot to our understanding of life in Ireland the time it was written"

Aside from An Triail I had to bluff the Cearrbhach question but most of the rest was ok.. Not great to be honest :( I couldnt remember a THING for "ogham" but knew Aisling Pholatiuil really well so just drew a wee picture of the writing that I remembered and wrote "Seo é ogham" :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jeannie792

Shiiiiiiiiizer.. If you're right (which you probably are) then I'm fo0ked.. I took it up as

"The main conflicts in An Triail add a lot to our understanding of life in Ireland the time it was written"

Aside from An Triail I had to bluff the Cearrbhach question but most of the rest was ok.. Not great to be honest :( I couldnt remember a THING for "ogham" but knew Aisling Pholatiuil really well so just drew a wee picture of the writing that I remembered and wrote "Seo é ogham" :o:o

I took it as the same thing!!! Thank god someone else did, i was having a heartattack there!! Ah don't worry my ogham was even worse, I'm jealous of your brainwave to draw a picture. I only started stair in the last 10 minutes and really hadn'y gotten round to studying it so I basically made stuff up!

I took it at that too. Went with the other one though because I knew Pádraig in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

I just said a paragraph on Maili's background, and a paragraph on Padraigs, then I discussed how Padraig had drove Maire to kill herself whereas Maili was one of the only ones who helped her and prayed for her.
    Hope this picks me up some marks even if it wasnt exactly what they were looking for :/

The answer for my Cearrbhac question was about 5 lines - I didnt study it , I banked on fairly much everything else.

At least the Stair came up for me and the poetry, so I'm hoping I scrape a C on this paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

All the questions were nice but the An Triail one was awkwardly phrased.
    Knew an t-Oileán wouldn't come up. The sexual connotations make it too difficult to ask because they answers people write are often absurd ;)

I'll miss Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

The luckiest paper I've done so far, I'm delighted with it :) Literally the only Stair I knew was Fiannaíocht, Ruraíocht, Ogham, and the Aisling. Pretty lucky on that count! Couldn't have chosen better poems and the Maidhc Q was pretty fair, even my very rudimentary knowledge of the book was enough to get 2.5 pages out so that'll do me ;) So glad it's oooooooooover! :D

I'm almost certain that's what the Triail question meant. If it didn't....well I'm in trouble :p

That was a good idea for Ogham...I couldn't remember the words for vowels and consonants so I just said that it was a mode of writing, they wrote on stones, they used the celtic language and there are more than a 1000 stones in the country now. I don't know if that's true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that's what the Triail question meant. If it didn't....well I'm in trouble :p

That was a good idea for Ogham...I couldn't remember the words for vowels and consonants so I just said that it was a mode of writing, they wrote on stones, they used the celtic language and there are more than a 1000 stones in the country now. I don't know if that's true or not.

The question means ; "The main conflicts in the play, add to our understanding of life in Ireland at the time it(the play) was written". :)

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    The question means ; "The main conflicts in the play, add to our understanding of life in Ireland at the time it(the play) was written". :)

Thank you for the clarification. :) That is what I answered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I studied 4 stair, and 3 came up!:) Fiannaíocht, Aisling, Gaeilge mar theanga Cheilteach!

I did Lig sinn and the second Cearrbhach question. I was running out of time by the time I got to them! For Lig sinn I did the coimhlint idir an Púca agus an garraíodóir, and idir Máirtín agus an sparánaí. And for Cearrbhach I did an tsaint and áibhéil.

I did the first Triail question. Hope it's ok! I basically said the same as other people, how Padraig treated her and how Maili treated her. I also had a sentence at the end about how it was ironic that Maili, a prostitute, was the only one who showed her compassion, in a "Catholic" country which frowns upon sex and pregnancy outside marriage.

Gealt!!!:D I nearly cried with joy when I saw it! And Jack too! I was so ridiculously well prepared for those poems!!

Had to make up stuff about Dán do Mhelissa but I'm pretty sure it's not too far off the mark because I knew the basics to do with the theme and the codarsnacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Thought it was a nice paper although the brain starting functioning worse as time ticked on!

The Maidhc Dainín question was a peach! And Stair na Gaeilge was nice too :)

Managed 19 pages! Daaaaamn! and some in my class asked for extra paper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Paper was very fair. Whole Irish exam was. Everything was more or less as expected without any big surprises. Iontach ar fad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Best paper EVER!!
    Now I need to erase all Irish from my head so I can concentrate on French...

Advertisement