Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* IRISH PAPER 2, HL, how was it for you? * (one thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Ahahaha didn't do a thing for Stair - I made up two pleasant life stories, and bluffed my pants off on Ogham and the Aisling - I mentioned Uirchill an Chreagain, and na Sasanaigh.

But it was quite a good paper over all - I have a slight quibble about one of the questions though, the way the Gealt question was worded - the use of "spreag" was quite ambiguous or something? Anyone else think this?

Oh and beautiful beautiful Sean O' Riordain appeared <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Oenone wrote: »
    Ahahaha didn't do a thing for Stair - I made up two pleasant life stories, and bluffed my pants off on Ogham and the Aisling - I mentioned Uirchill an Chreagain, and na Sasanaigh.

But it was quite a good paper over all - I have a slight quibble about one of the questions though, the way the Gealt question was worded - the use of "spreag" was quite ambiguous or something? Anyone else think this?

Oh and beautiful beautiful Sean O' Riordain appeared <3

I was considering answering that question but thought the other would take up less time. Basically, you'd have to go on about the narrow-minded ignorance of people in relation to mental illness and then you could quote from the poem to back up your answer with people's reactions to him. It was more about the cúlra of the poem than the poetic techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Nice, doable paper, Lig Sinn i gCathu question was a dream, An Triall was tough, Cearrbhach was reasonable, Poetry as a whole was very fair. . couldn't have been an easier question on Gealt. . .and Stair was lovely. . .if I don't get an A1 in this paper, it's my own fault. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

That was class! Same oiche nollaig question as in the mocks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I thought it was a fair enough paper. I didn't do a whole pile for it foolishly but I got through it grand and am hoping for a B2.

Loved the Bímse Buan and Gealt questions and the Bhean Óg and Cearrbhach ones were nice too. Could not remember that line about sticking to the tree in Cearrbhach though- Aon duine a leagfás..! It was so annoying :P

Just wondering there I did the second An Triail question and spoke about the conflict between Maire and Padraig, the conflict between Maire and her family, the conflict between Maire and Bean Uí Chinsealaigh and the conflict between Maire and the society. I tied in fimíneachas into it and kept referring back to the control the Church had. Is this OK? It just sounds really different to what everyone else wrote? :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I studied na Dánta grá; an aisling pholaitiúl; an fhianaíocht; an ruaraíocht; meath na Gaeilge and Seán ó Ríordán and Máíréad ní ghráda. I got caught so I said this about ogham;

"Sean-stíl scríbhneoireachta na ceilt atá i gceist leis an ogham.

Scríobhtar é le líne a théann suas agus trasna. Níl gach litear den aibítear Béarla le fáil san ogham

Scríobhadh é ar plátaí bronsa fadó toisc nach raibh páipéir ann ag an am"

That's all I know of it generally, and some of it is kind of assumed. What I wrote about how it's written was chancing it completely, but then I'd not other option.

I'd be happy if I got 3 out of the 7.5 going for it (I'm assuming that that's how much, given you'd to talk about an two of four options in part b.)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Most was fine, I couldn't really say how hard it was tbh - I just did the questions. :P Poetry and pros and An Triail Qs went better than expected, but only one of the topics I'd learnt came up in Stair na Gaeilge so had to invent some interesting facts about Na Fhiannaíochta. <<< Those words will be the last thing I ever write in Irish, NEVER HAVE TO SPEAK IT AGAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Very fair paper overall, kind of mad I didn't put more work in now as there were marks there for the taking but that's easy to say now. Was very lucky with what came up as I studied the bare minimum and was just very fortunate that the right stuff came up especially the Honours poem and the Stair. Made a balls of the Cearrbhach question though but was only 15 marks so I won't worry. Had low expectations for Irish so I am happy enough now and hopefully I'll get a B :) May wait and see! So happy it's all over now :D Such a relief & only 2 to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Happy enough with the paper now, the stair was a1 for me, bit worried about the prose, how much did everyone write? I was finished with half an hour to go, anyone else like this, worried i didn't write enough now? But then again I was well prepared for the questions i hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

anfieldrd wrote: »
    Happy enough with the paper now, the stair was a1 for me, bit worried about the prose, how much did everyone write? I was finished with half an hour to go, anyone else like this, worried i didn't write enough now? But then again I was well prepared for the questions i hope!

I was writing up until the very end, although some of the ordnary level people left after half an hour. :eek: I think I wrote about a page and a half for Bhean Og and a page for Cearrbhach. My writing isn't too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

anfieldrd wrote: »

Most people in my exam hall were gone 75-30 mins before the end. I left with 5 mins to go, I did lots of extra Stair.

I think I wrote about 3 pages in total for the prose. I couldn't have written much more so I'm fairly happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just as a matter of interest, did An t-Oilean feature at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

Went awful to be quite honest...left in the second hour, literally had nothing left to write! Drew a complete blank. Oh well, hopefully paper one and the oral/aural will bring me up.

An aiste should be 2.5 pages upwards, so scale down from their. I'd still right at least two pages for every question (except Stair na Gaeilge).

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You two doppelgangers? :p:D

Thanks, folks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Well most of my answers were over 2 pages, bluffed on a bit in the poetry when i had everything i learned down. I was left in my exam centre with just me and the supervisor since about half 11, everyone else bailed, same in paper 1 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Right so I know people are saying dont compare length and its quality not quantity but seriously how much roughly did all you honours Irish out there write for paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheDudeIsHere

I wrote about 5 pages. It was a very hard test in my oppinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nearly two for the Stair. Nearly two for the Prós. Two pages for An Triail and another two for the Poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Nearly two for the Stair. Nearly two for the Prós. Two pages for An Triail and another two for the Poetry.

Yeah same sort of here nowhere near enough for the stair, only knew Fhianniocht but only got a third of a page with bullet points....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Every exam now I've had to sit there and after a half an hour the idiots leaving outside are off.

Anyone having this unneeded distraction?
    I'm not much of a moan but When you are only finishing the bean og question and people can leave after only 30 minutes it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

Half a page and left after 30 minutes - I think I should go kill myself now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Prós: 3 pages
    An Triail: 3 1/2 pages
    Pass poetry: 3 pages
    Honours poetry: 2 1/2 pages
    Stair: 2 pages

Total:14 pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Half a page and left after 30 minutes - I think I should go kill myself now...

By the way.. wtf???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I wrote:

around 3 pages for prose
    just over 3 for An Triail
    2.5 for Filíocht Ainmnithe
    2 for Oiche Nollag na mBan
    1.5 for Stair

It's quite a long exam, really, now that I think about it. I left 5 mins before the end, most people were long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dreamer...

When you are only finishing the bean og question and people can leave after only 30 minutes it's ridiculous.

well iv been doing the exam attendant thing and its ridiculous the amount of honours students who are leaving really early! they have two full hours to go and they are finished! this i slike the only exam that ppl leave early for.. and these will be the people who blame teachers come August!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

By the way.. wtf???

Dont give a **** going to a it and not counting the points.

there are 100s like me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think I counted 17 pages at the end. Didn't have a single answer less than a page bar the Stair na Gaeilge. Kept writing from half 9 to half 12, then gave myself about 15 mins to check for grammar errors.

Advertisement