Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doubling up recipe?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I made some wholemeal scones at the weekend and they came out well. However the buttermilk will need to be thrown out in the next day or two but there's enough of it to make at least two batches of scones.

Can I just double up the quantities of the ingredients and make more?

It's basically 175g of wholemeal flour, 175g cream flour, 200ml of buttermilk, 50g of margarine, teaspoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.

I don't think I've ever tried doubling up so I don't know if it's a recipe for disaster (pun intended).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

It's safe to double up. What do you suspect could go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

For scones, you're safe to double as the ratios aren't complex.
    FYI you can replace the need to buy buttermilk by simply using normal full fat milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice in it to sour. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Eviledna wrote: »
    For scones, you're safe to double as the ratios aren't complex.

Why would it ever be a problem to double up? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Scones? Couldn't ever imagine an instance where it couldn't be doubled.
    However there are recipes that don't double well, the more complex the ratios (e.g leavening to flour or sugar crystallization) the less well they multiply.
    For example, choux pastry doesn't double that well unless you account for it with respect to the size of the pot you're using, for equal heat distribution. Similarly fudge and boiled sweet recipes don't multiply well, as the sugar crystallization is involved. Even some complex sponge recipes, like fatless sponge don't do well in larger volumes, unless you have the machinery to handle the volume of egg white.
    It's usually the chemistry that's to blame, sometimes physics too! :)

Advertisement