Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a bike

• 14-06-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

folks, buying a new bike this week. Looking for a moutain bike, just for general use.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    folks, buying a new bike this week. Looking for a moutain bike, just for general use.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

The people in Spokes are sound.

I wouldn't recommend a mountain bike for general use though. You could get a hybrid. They can come with suspension and also all the bits and pieces like mudguards.

Definitely get mudguards!!!

Also a mountain bike is relatively slow if its just for going around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mudguards look the ghey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Havent been there for a while but people in Halfords seemed pretty sound.
    Mudguards ghey? Who'll be watching ya up the mountains ? :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd def suggest Altitude in Ballybricken as lads to deal with, spot on and very helpful chaps.
    I wouldn't buy a bike from Halfords.

As already pointed out if you want a general use bike for just going around the city get a hybrid as you'll be able to cycle faster with less work then any mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

I bought a bike recently from Halfords. The back brake was a bit dodgy and they sorted it out immediately. Not sure if they are any cheaper or better than anywhere else, but the service was first class.

• Advertisement

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Havent been there for a while but people in Halfords seemed pretty sound.
    Mudguards ghey? Who'll be watching ya up the mountains ? :P

If you are using a mountain bike for mountain biking or a racing bike for racing/sport I wouldn't have an opinion on mudguards. But I think for a general utility bike they are better. Even if it stops raining, but the ground is still wet, it can throw up a bit of water. It just saves you having to wash your clothes and have big mud stipes down your back.

Anyway Seanybiker, you misspelled 'grey' as 'ghey'. :)

I bought a bike recently from Halfords. The back brake was a bit dodgy and they sorted it out immediately. Not sure if they are any cheaper or better than anywhere else, but the service was first class.

Should they even leave a bike out of their shop with dodgy breaks?

Edit: They didn't do that, go Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Was it a moutain bike you bought Scico? How much did you pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

+1 for altitude

And theres an excellent bike shop in dungarvan with different brands to altitude

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Altitude, definitely. I got my last two bikes from them, plus a few repairs - they were excellent.

I had a crash a couple of years back, buckled the back wheel and smashed the gear system - I went to Altitude and they did both repairs for under 40 euro. I went to another shop in town for a second opinion and was told I'd need a new wheel and complete replacement of the derailer, costing about a hundred and thirty :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I've been using Altitude exclusively ever since

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    Should they even leave a bike out of their shop with dodgy breaks?

They didn't. I tried to do a framestand and bent the top of the brake. Sad... but true.

Was it a moutain bike you bought Scico? How much did you pay?

Its a Carrera. It cost €329. It goes like the bejaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Cabaal wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a bike from Halfords.

There is nothing wrong with buying a bike from Halfords.
    The bike mechanics are well trained and knowledgeable.
    The range of bikes is excellent (from dirt cheap rubbish to top level carbon Boardmans in road and MTB variants.)
    A good range of accessories are available in store, and you can check availability on line before you even go to your local store.
    Prices are very good also.
    I honestly don't see why people have this chip on the shoulder about Halfords.
    If I was to list all the complaints I have about other bike shops I have been to, it would be a long thread..... (not necessarily directed at Waterford shops)

I suppose Halfords attracts a more casual buyer. Maybe the sort that says, 'after 1 month the gears were ****ed', not realising you have to tighten things up as the cables stretch.

However, I go my bike in a Decathlon when working in old Blighty (there is also one up in Béal Feiriste). Both Halfords and Decathlon are out of town bike retailers, but for some reason Decathlon get heaps of praise, but Halfords doesn't. I love my Decathlon bike, it was excellent value.

So I wouldn't put the anti-Halfordism down to snobbery.

In general though I find the lack of complete bikes in Ireland annoying. In Decathlon you have a large selection of bikes that come complete with fancy dynamo, rack, mudguards, lights etc.

dayshah wrote: »
    I suppose Halfords attracts a more casual buyer. Maybe the sort that says, 'after 1 month the gears were ****ed', not realising you have to tighten things up as the cables stretch.

However, I go my bike in a Decathlon when working in old Blighty (there is also one up in Béal Feiriste). Both Halfords and Decathlon are out of town bike retailers, but for some reason Decathlon get heaps of praise, but Halfords doesn't. I love my Decathlon bike, it was excellent value.

So I wouldn't put the anti-Halfordism down to snobbery.

In general though I find the lack of complete bikes in Ireland annoying. In Decathlon you have a large selection of bikes that come complete with fancy dynamo, rack, mudguards, lights etc.

Where is Decathlon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Where is Decathlon?

belfast is the closes i believe

Where is Decathlon?

Belfast is the nearest. They are a French company, and there are lots of them in Old Blighty.

ec18 wrote: »
    belfast is the closes i believe

:o

Advertisement