Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Renting please

Options
  • 14-06-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So will try keep this short but I would really appreciate any help and info.

So I recently lost my job and i'm renting so i'm going to apply for rent allowance. A section of the application form needs to be filled in by my landlady so I sent her the form but she has rang me concerned. She has informed me the property is not officially registered and she's worried that if she registers the property so I can claim that it will effect her pension.

So my questions are, firstly to apply for rent allowance does the property need to be registered? And secondly if she registers the house can it effect her pension?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Big Knox wrote: »
    Hi,

So will try keep this short but I would really appreciate any help and info.

So I recently lost my job and i'm renting so i'm going to apply for rent allowance. A section of the application form needs to be filled in by my landlady so I sent her the form but she has rang me concerned. She has informed me the property is not officially registered and she's worried that if she registers the property so I can claim that it will effect her pension.

So my questions are, firstly to apply for rent allowance does the property need to be registered? And secondly if she registers the house can it effect her pension?

Thanks

Yes it will affect her pension and rightly so as your total income determins your taxable amount so pension payments plus rentla income in this instance would reflect that.

Good enough for her. Tax dodgers are the scum of the earth I hope she gets crippled with a huge tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

D3PO wrote: »
    Yes it will affect her pension and rightly so as your total income determins your taxable amount so pension payments plus rentla income in this instance would reflect that.

Good enough for her. Tax dodgers are the scum of the earth I hope she gets crippled with a huge tax bill.

Thanks for the reply, I suspected that was the case alright. This is going to be an issue it seems!!

Could someone answer my other question, can I still apply for rent allowance if the house isn't registered or will it get flagged and rejected?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ciara.smilie

They will look into whether or not the house is registered and you will be flagged and will not be able to recieve rent allowance. The situation is crap. I am living in a rented house at the moment and because it is not registered we cannot claim for rent relief - which is totally crap. We didn't know the house wasnt registered until we signed the lease. I guess the only thing is that your lease counts for sweet FA, when its not declared as being rented. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Big Knox wrote: »
    Could someone answer my other question, can I still apply for rent allowance if the house isn't registered or will it get flagged and rejected?

It will be rejected. You could always tell her that if she gives you a reduction in the rent, you'll leave things as they are and that she won't be found out by you applying for rent allowance. She's the tax-dodger, not you, so let it be her choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's not correct. You can apply and receive rent supplement if eligible. You landlady's tax affairs are her problem, she does need to supply her PPS number on the rent supplement form or seperately to the CWO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

They will look into whether or not the house is registered and you will be flagged and will not be able to recieve rent allowance. The situation is crap. I am living in a rented house at the moment and because it is not registered we cannot claim for rent relief - which is totally crap.
    The only crap here is that you are shielding a criminal.

Advertisement