Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media wont play MP4s

• 14-06-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Lately when I record with hdpvr the files are saving as MP4s instead of the usual M2ts. Windows plays the audio of the MP4 but not the video. Media player classic plays them fine but when I upload to youtube it fails or else the colour and quality is awful and can hardly see the picture.
    Why is it saving as MP4?? Windows plays all the files that have M2ts perfect so I dont think its anything to do with missing codecs or anything.
    Can I change it to M2ts? I think I could in vegas but why isnt it doing it automatically??:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't know the answer to your question but a) a hauppage has to re encode to MP4 so yes you can keep it in M2ts. don't know about the windows software but on mac you have to specifically set it to record in MP4, and b) why don't you just use VLC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Perhaps download the K-Lite Codec Pack (Full). I was having issues importing MP4 files into my video editor, got that pack and all working fine since.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I don't know the answer to your question but a) a hauppage has to re encode to MP4 so yes you can keep it in M2ts. don't know about the windows software but on mac you have to specifically set it to record in MP4, and b) why don't you just use VLC?
    Should of said it but VLC wont work either. Media Player classic only plays the mp4 file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Shark X codecs or Shark 7 for W7 will allow you to play them

I have always used them and never have issues

Tallon wrote: »
    Shark X codecs or Shark 7 for W7 will allow you to play them

I have always used them and never have issues
    I have windows 11 though will they still work?? Why are the files saving as MP4 though instead of the usual M2ts??:confused:

• Advertisement

Could somebody just gimme a link for video codecs or whatever for the latest version of windows 11 please?? Thanks

What the hell is Windows 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I think he means Windows Media Player 11...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Sabre0001 wrote:
    Perhaps download the K-Lite Codec Pack (Full).
    I was just gonna recommend this :)

Here is the link to get the codec pack FlawedGenius :)

www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

As long as you have ALL CODECS AVAILABLE,1 player will play anything (Like VLC pretty much does)

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I think he means Windows Media Player 11...
    Ah right, yeah those W7 Codecs work with WM11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Dude111 wrote: »

As long as you have ALL CODECS AVAILABLE,1 player will play anything (Like VLC pretty much does)

As yes, THAT'S what I forgot to do: include a link... :)

🤪

Dude111 wrote: »

That should come in handy, but it didnt work.:( Head is wrecked now. Only time windows media will work now is if I render in sony vegas. As I said most of the other play the MP4s, like media classic but when I upload it youtube it comes out orangey and jumpy.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Hmmmmm thats quite strange!!

If you installed all the codecs from this pack IT SHOULD PLAY THEM!!

My laptop has been acting up lately, switching off my itself with weird beeping, a blue screen comes saying it had to dump physical memory and that theres a hardware issue etc:confused: Might have something to with it. I think its sick.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Airsoft_Invent

know your problem, happened to a friend with a PVR just rename the file for example.MP4 to example.mp4 or in other words... .mp4 .. Wierd occurance but it worked afterwards, worth a try for you.

Advertisement