Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking 2500k and 560ti

Options
  • 14-06-2011 2:41pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello I am buying this computer:

finished.jpg

I have never OCed before. I plan to try and overclock the gfx and cpu, I am looking at fans. The scythe mugen 2 for 33e has been suggested, so would you recommend getting that or trying to OC on the stock cooler? I am told I might get 4 with the stock or 4.5 with the mugen. I would get the mugen if the extra speed was worth it? And should I get extra fans for the case and if so which?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think I've settled on the cooler and fan at the bottom and will try to OC

superfinished.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

On the stock cooler you should easilly hit 4ghz, anything aftermarket should get you to 4.5 easy enough. although, there isn't much out there that will stress the system you are going to get unless you have a 1920*1080 monitor and want to run with Full AA and AF. The most important thing to consider is airflow through the case. A rule of thumb should be, cool air in the bottom/front and warm air out the back/top. And remember, don't have too mch air being pumped in and not enough out.

91163.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hey thanks for the great reply, I will be gaming on 1080p yep and will be looking at full settings heh.

I've added two more 14cm fans to the build, so the case with have 5 fans(2 stock + 3 extra) and the after market cpu cooler. So i should be aiming the fans at the front inwards and the ones at the back outwards? heh. Never added fans or such to a case!

Here is the build I think I'll order today

newest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

your build is nearly identical to mine apart from mobo and case! i'm going to start messing around with oc'ing today or tomorrow and i'll let you know how i get on. i just need to add 2 xilence fans onto the case (i put one in last week and it was sooo damn noisy when connected straight to the psu on full blast so i can only imagine what they will all sound like in it:D).

i also have that scythe mugen heat sink that i will eventually put in. it looks like that it going to be a tight squeeze though between that and the top of the ripjaws ram

Cool let me know! Hopefully one of them won't be too loud eek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

almost identical build to mine but I chose the hyper 212+ cooler, more of a pain to put on but for oc'ing it got better reviews than the Freezer (which i have on 2 other machines that i don't OC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I've a build quite identical and it's loving absolutely max settings with no performance issue, but I didn't overclock it. Went on a rampage spree with a grenade launcher in a finale in expert Dark Carnival finale in l4d2 to test the rendering and absolutely no blip whatsoever (forget the res, 1920x1080 I think, it's one I wasn't familiar with before anyway).

almost identical build to mine but I chose the hyper 212+ cooler, more of a pain to put on but for oc'ing it got better reviews than the Freezer (which i have on 2 other machines that i don't OC)
    Was thinking of that one but didn't see it on HVS! i was thinking mugen or else freezer + 3 case fans, went with the latter
    Sunshine! wrote: »
    I've a build quite identical and it's loving absolutely max settings with no performance issue, but I didn't overclock it. Went on a rampage spree with a grenade launcher in a finale in expert Dark Carnival finale in l4d2 to test the rendering and absolutely no blip whatsoever (forget the res, 1920x1080 I think, it's one I wasn't familiar with before anyway).

Great stuff, and without OCing, that's what i likes to hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I have never OC'ed before and I know nothing about how to do it but I plan to build a system similar to this one someday and I want to give a stab at OC'ing it so I was just doing a bit of reading up on it and found some very nice articles.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/225371-intel-cpu-essentials-collected-guides.html
    I would recommend this article listed under, "Newbie Guide to Overclocking" I read it and the linked memory article fully and I feel like an expert now :P I know they are a little old, but it's always good to have some kind of understanding of what you are going to do.
    There is articles and posts relating to the 2500k on the forum too, but I haven't read any of those.

Best of luck :)

Thanks fluffy, you are a great help!

• Advertisement

Have you got the parts yet??

Nope, since tuesday night it has not updated...at that time it said they were sent from germany to Ireland. :S should be here by now

I might buy from scan even if it's a little more just to get it quick, coz that waiting would kill me :P

I hope it all goes well for you, post pics of it in the thread when your done so we can drool over it's awesome power.

Hmm well I've been in my gf house for a few days so it could be there, I haven't even checked, I'm just going by what the tracking says! Somebody here paid on tues and got it on friday last week, still scan will be quicker

i will post pics to my badly made first build all right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Hmm well I've been in my gf house for a few days so it could be there, I haven't even checked, I'm just going by what the tracking says! Somebody here paid on tues and got it on friday last week, still scan will be quicker

i will post pics to my badly made first build all right :D

If you need any help or advise just give me a shout. Also, if you're in Dublin just holla and i'm sure i can meet you to help you out over the weekend.

Thanks, I live in dublin, will ask on here when trouble arises :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

Quite similar to the system I ordered yesterday.
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9
    No HV20G331DE 55,95 € 1 55,95 €
    Antec Truepower New 650W
    No HVR650ADDE 96,37 € 1 96,37 €
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
    No HV1139UMDE 140,75 € 1 140,75 €
    Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Midi-Tower - Window Edition, ohne Netzteil
    No HV203FBSDE 91,79 € 1 91,79 €
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")
    No HV12C464DE 94,38 € 1 94,38 €
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    No HV20I5K5DE 177,10 € 1 177,10 €
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1156
    No HV30NO14DE 67,99 € 1 67,99 €
    Palit Geforce GTX 570 Sonic, 1280MB, PCI-Express
    No HV1022XZDE 277,31 € 1 277,31 €
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    No HV1310F3DE

Really looking forward to cracking on with the build and I'll definitely be overclocking, :D Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

Ugh fail did not realize how old the thread was........

Ah it's only a few weeks yet and i havent bothered trying overcloking yet, will soon. I want that 2500 fps in css :D

also if anybody has a nice guide on ocing a 2500k let me know :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

also if anybody has a nice guide on ocing a 2500k let me know :P

This is for the GD55 but the GD53 should be very similar. I used it and got up to 4.6GHz.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/963798-msi-p67a-gd55-review-oc-guide.html

sink wrote: »
    This is for the GD55 but the GD53 should be very similar. I used it and got up to 4.6GHz.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/963798-msi-p67a-gd55-review-oc-guide.html

Thanks sink, what cooler do you have? and what temps do you get to? I was planning on trying 4.5/4.6 myself on a http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F

will have a read of that link now thanks

what i am confused about there was did he jsut jump up to those levels straight away or gradually do it. say i change the multiplier to 45 and volts to 1.3 straight away, leaving ram voltage alone, would that be a bad idea ? :p

Thanks sink, what cooler do you have? and what temps do you get to? I was planning on trying 4.5/4.6 myself on a http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F

will have a read of that link now thanks

I have a corsair A70, max temp is 58° C under stress test. Here a thread on my build.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056207859

what i am confused about there was did he jsut jump up to those levels straight away or gradually do it. say i change the multiplier to 45 and volts to 1.3 straight away, leaving ram voltage alone, would that be a bad idea ? :p

That's the way I did it. Almost everyone seems to be able to get it to at least 4.5GHz with a decent cooler so it's a good starting point.

thanks, looks great, nice computer!

Link was great too thanks, just trying to figure how far i should put up values to start off, then i will start tweaking!
    Will start off at 45 and 1.3v so, i dont know anything about changing ram from 1.5v or should i ever so ill leave that.

thanks, looks great, nice computer!

Link was great too thanks, just trying to figure how far i should put up values to start off, then i will start tweaking!
    Will start off at 45 and 1.3v so, i dont know anything about changing ram from 1.5v or should i ever so ill leave that.

If you get a BSOD at those settings it could be the ram voltage being too low. From my experience you always need to up the ram voltage with a large CPU overclock. Most good DDR3 RAM has a rated maximum of 1.65V, check your manufacturer specs and so long as you keep it below the maximum you should be fine. Obviously the higher it is, more heat is produced and more power is used, so just give it enough voltage so that it's stable.

Thanks will do, have this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?agid=1193&aid=44321&lid=2

Was told the p67 boards don't like ram that runs at 1.65 volts so I'll keep it as low as i can!

so far 4.3ghz was stable at 1.3v and 1.5v ram

4.4ghz crashed so i am trying it with 1.310v and 1.514v ram. not sure if i need to be changing ram voltage at all, and maybe i should be upping the cpu voltage alone?

• Advertisement

getting problems at 4.5 @ 1.320v. I have ram back to 1.5v as I was not sure this was affecting anything.

I see people change 'QPI/VTT voltage' whatever this is?

Advertisement