Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper.

• 14-06-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Ok, so French is on in the morning and in all my French exams since forever I've done a couple of drafts of my written answers. But, obviously there isn't very much room on the French paper, so I was wondering if I could take some extra paper tomorrow for my drafts and not hand it up. Or should I just throw it in anyway? :confused:

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

If your writing more than you are given then you are doing something wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Donerkebab wrote: »
    He's talking about using extra paper for roughwork. What's wrong with that?
    You should probably hand it up with the test. You might even impress the examiner by showing you planned your answer out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

He/she asked were they allowed extra paper for draughts. I would like to know this too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes you are - I did it last year, and my teacher advised it!

There's more room on the paper than you think, there's usually an extra page with lines than is shown in the Edco Exam Papers book!

Edit: I should say to definitely hand it up - it can get marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

God no, are you joking?? Just roughwork. I'm a bit of a neat freak, and I like to have it perfected before I actually write it on the exam paper. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Ask the superintendent for extra paper, and hand it up at the end (even if it's only rough work). You're not allowed bring paper into the exam, you could have anything stashed in it!! And AFAIK you're not allowed bring any paper out of the exam either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

I really should so that... for some reason I continue to use tippex even though the paper is pink :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I don't think you're allowed be given extra paper unless you run out with the first one you're given. The first day for English paper 1, before the exam started, a girl in my centre asked if she could have extra paper and the superintendent said she's not allowed to give it to her unless the need arises.

Ask all the same though, your superviser may not have a problem with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Aw right didnt read post properly :/ !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

you could but your as well just to hand it up... you won't loose marks for it.. no point in throwing it away... just hand it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Why do it on a seperate sheet? Open a double page, plan your essay and do any rough work you need on the left page and write your essay on the right page and onto the next page. =] It keeps the overall exam much neater for the examiners to read =] If your essay goes even a few lines down on the left hand side of the next double page, turn over for the next one, fresh double page! =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

magicianz wrote: »
    Why do it on a seperate sheet? Open a double page, plan your essay and do any rough work you need on the left page and write your essay on the right page and onto the next page. =] It keeps the overall exam much neater for the examiners to read =] If your essay goes even a few lines down on the left hand side of the next double page, turn over for the next one, fresh double page! =D

No. In french you do the whole exam on the exam paper :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Ask for extra paper, as has already been stated it can actually give you marks if they can see where you were coming from etc even if you slip up =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

No. In french you do the whole exam on the exam paper :)

Shows you how much ive looked at the papers :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I intend on asking for extra paper before the exam even begins for French. But if I hand up the rough work I reckon it will slip out? Also using English in my plan would be ok? I can't see them giving extra marks for having a plan but it will certainly look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

NotExactly wrote: »
    I intend on asking for extra paper before the exam even begins for French. But if I hand up the rough work I reckon it will slip out? Also using English in my plan would be ok? I can't see them giving extra marks for having a plan but it will certainly look good.

you get a wee little rope thingy that you put through that little hole in the top corner of the page... it'll not fall out don't worry :)

if you use an English plan well that's what it is - a plan - it's not supposed to be your submission so your not gonna loose any marks... mightn't gain any but there's no benefit at all in throwing your roughwork out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I got an extra booklet for (the train wreck that was) honors maths paper one. And the invigilator just looked at me and said "Another booklet?.... I can give you paper? You're sure? There's a lot of pages in it"
    I was basically saying "GIVE ME THE DAMN BOOKLET WOMAN THIS IS MY LEAVING CERT!"
    Same thing happened for P2 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

PJelly wrote: »
    I got an extra booklet for (the train wreck that was) honors maths paper one. And the invigilator just looked at me and said "Another booklet?.... I can give you paper? You're sure? There's a lot of pages in it"
    I was basically saying "GIVE ME THE DAMN BOOKLET WOMAN THIS IS MY LEAVING CERT!"
    Same thing happened for P2 :p

Oh jesus, the supervisors have probably been told to only give out paper when necessary this year to cut down on costs. If she tries it again just say 'Are you refusing to give me paper necessary for me to complete my exam?' I'm sure she'll give it you pretty sharpish then!

But to answer the OPs question, yes you can get extra paper, but you have to hand it up. You can't take any paper out of the exam because if you got some 'official paper' and took it out with you, you could just as easily smuggle it back into another exam later on in the week with 'rough work' on it for another subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Yes, you can use extra paper for rough work but you DO have to hand it back up. It's special paper so you could always be bringing it back in to another exam with answers written on it so you are not allowed bring that paper out of the exam hall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Whoops.
    I currently have 3 pages of SEC graph paper, and 2 pages of rough work. I didn't include them in the booklet and she HAS to have seen me holding them. As I had them when I handed up the booklet.
    There was nothing important on them anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I have still have some graph paper from my Geog exam 3 years ago too... keep it as a souvenir;)

Advertisement