Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krav Maga - Recommended Instructor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

Im sorry guys but for along time ive being questioning were all these krav maga guys are coming from. And ive come up with the answer and its that there are people who have an interest in martial arts but are un willing to take the time to train. They want the 2 week or 12 week fix so they can say look im a instructor. or they want to know the secret ninja move that will end all fights. and this opens the door for these instructors offering these courses.
    Ive been training for over 25 years Thai boxing/kali/ savate /JKD/grappling. and the truth is im still learning. A guy opened a Krav maga class near me and one of my students went he said that he didnt know how to operate a knike compared to the kali system and his answer against attacks was kick the person in the balls. Self-defence is based on experience motion .the situation and the enviroment not a quick fix:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

@ Makikomi + everyone else

Thanks for the advice. I don't doubt what you say re the 2 day courses and as with anything there's often too much information to absorb when you go on the net to research something.

I think I may look into starting Taekwondo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

daphne wrote: »

Now thats gonna start a whole new argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

Thanks for the advice. I don't doubt what you say re the 2 day courses and as with anything there's often too much information to absorb when you go on the net to research something.

Jeet Kune Do /Kali /Muay thai/or bjj you cant go wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 BJJ_Expert

If your taking up Tae Kwon Do, join a ITF affliated ( International TKD Fed) club, and not a WTF (World TKD Fed) club. The difference been, ITF TKD's sparring rules allow punches and kicks above waist level, WTF is the style you see in the Olympics and it only has kicks. ITF TKD is pretty similiar to Karate but more emphasis on kicking, the terminology is in Korean and the Katas ( called patterns or Tul in ITF ) are different to Karate. Most clubs in Ireland are ITF.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

BJJ_Expert wrote: »
    If your taking up Tae Kwon Do, join a ITF affliated ( International TKD Fed) club, and not a WTF (World TKD Fed) club. The difference been, ITF TKD's sparring rules allow punches and kicks above waist level, WTF is the style you see in the Olympics and it only has kicks. ITF TKD is pretty similiar to Karate but more emphasis on kicking, the terminology is in Korean and the Katas ( called patterns or Tul in ITF ) are different to Karate. Most clubs in Ireland are ITF.

hey bjj expert, i'd say leave tkd to the tkd experts. above bold is not true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 BJJ_Expert

magicherbs wrote: »
    hey bjj expert, i'd say leave tkd to the tkd experts. above bold is not true
    Last I knew of it WTF was kicks only, took a quick look at some Youtube clips of WTF and couldn't see a punch been thrown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theprofesser

f you bothered with the search function you'll see that I've practiced KM with the Israeli Defence Forces in Israel.. You'll also find that I've been a member of the defence forces for 28 years, so I'm a little more practiced in training in both armed and unarmed combat than most here.

Is that the Israeli Defence forces your a member of?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

What doesn't work, this;

Frankly it's embarrassing.

Sweet Jebus that has to be the worst "Demonstration" video I have ever seen :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Midlands Krav Maga

Check out kmgireland.net for a list of Krav Maga Instructors. Best of luck with your search :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Andrew H wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus that has to be the worst "Demonstration" video I have ever seen :eek:

Nah, your man has more up-quality if ya want a laugh..

who needs the comedy channel when ya have this

Your man standing there, arms by his sides and non threatening and he tee's off on him like he's a punchbag

Exactly what is wrong with Krav Maga, I'd like to see the Krav Maga lad's defend them videos!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'd like to see the Krav Maga lad's defend them videos!
    You and i both know that's not gonna end well ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

cowzerp wrote: »

Nah, your man has more up-quality if ya want a laugh..

who needs the comedy channel when ya have this

Your man standing there, arms by his sides and non threatening and he tee's off on him like he's a punchbag

Exactly what is wrong with Krav Maga, I'd like to see the Krav Maga lad's defend them videos!
    In fairness, I'm not seeing the big deal, if the sole purpose of the video is to demonstrate strikes, it achieved that purpose reasonably well. I don't really see what's wrong with the other guy standing still. Sure, giving an example of how such strikes should be used would have been more useful (by putting them in context), but I'm assuming the video was made to demo strikes, which it achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gumbi wrote: »
    In fairness, I'm not seeing the big deal, if the sole purpose of the video is to demonstrate strikes, it achieved that purpose reasonably well. I don't really see what's wrong with the other guy standing still. Sure, giving an example of how such strikes should be used would have been more useful (by putting them in context), but I'm assuming the video was made to demo strikes, which it achieved.

Sometimes I despair, I really do.. Look you're talking to people who have real fighting experience here, and I know its the internet and we're asking you to take a strangers word on something ~ but whats shown in that video clip is pure and utter BS, honest to good God it is.

But I'll try discuss it, a nine punch combo ~ if for craic sake the first punch connected either the guy being hit is KO'd or he's knocked back out of range and is fighting back, the other eight strikes are gone out the window.

And for a laugh, look at the video when the technique is demo'd 'in real time'.

But I know people believe it this rubbish, because I get it all the time from people in work telling me I should do Krav Maga (I work a club door in Templebar), frankly they embarrass themselves and I feel sorry for them.

Sometimes I despair, I really do.. Look you're talking to people who have real fighting experience here, and I know its the internet and we're asking you to take a strangers word on something ~ but whats shown in that video clip is pure and utter BS, honest to good God it is.

But I'll try discuss it, a nine punch combo ~ if for craic sake the first punch connected either the guy being hit is KO'd or he's knocked back out of range and is fighting back, the other eight strikes are gone out the window.

And for a laugh, look at the video when the technique is demo'd 'in real time'.

But I know people believe it this rubbish, because I get it all the time from people in work telling me I should do Krav Maga (I work a club door in Templebar), frankly they embarrass themselves and I feel sorry for them.
    Like I said, the point of the video is to demonstrate the strikes. It's not suggesting "this is what you do in a situation". It doesn't really make any claims like that AFAIK. It's simply a demonstration of striking techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like I said, the point of the video is to demonstrate the strikes. It's not suggesting "this is what you do in a situation". It doesn't really make any claims like that AFAIK. It's simply a demonstration of striking techniques.

Would you say in your opinion whether is a demo of good or bad striking techniques?.

Would you say in your opinion whether is a demo of good or bad striking techniques?.
    Ah well that's something... Striking isn't a huge part of my background, but I'll give it a shot. No, his technique isn't really good. His stance is pretty bad, his range too (distancing is off).

Also, I wouldn't consider a punch (was it a hammerfist, I forget) to the back of the neck to be terribly effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I get it all the time from people in work telling me I should do Krav Maga (I work a club door in Templebar), frankly they embarrass themselves and I feel sorry for them.

Hahahaha
    Like I said, the point of the video is to demonstrate the strikes. It's not suggesting "this is what you do in a situation".

Actually, "this is what you do" is exactly what he is saying by demoing his strikes. Why else in the name of Thor would he demo them otherwise? Especially from a system that prides itself on a no nonsense for 'da streetz' approach it is, as has been rightly pointed out, utter BS.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Hahahaha

Actually, "this is what you do" is exactly what he is saying by demoing his strikes. Why else in the name of Thor would he demo them otherwise? Especially from a system that prides itself on a no nonsense for 'da streetz' approach it is, as has been rightly pointed out, utter BS.

If that's the case, then of course it should be called out... I was just proposing the possibility that maybe he was demonstrating them without a situational context. I'm not defending KM at all, I was just asking a few questions :).

Gumbo are you a kenpoist

• Advertisement

Gumbo are you a kenpoist

Nope. Why would you ask?

Tkd?

Tkd?

No. Why are you asking?

just wondering where you got the hammerfist terminology from

just wondering where you got the hammerfist terminology from

MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

One of the things I learnt from Mick Coup is that "combinations" are a series of single strikes.

Do it in the gym, and the pad man stands there, to receive hits and provide feedback.

If a person is struck, they move.
    As the strikee you evaluate their movement and strike again.
    Each combination is a series of several strikes, each evaluated and delivered on their own!

Why would anyone demonstrate any strikes that do not work in real life? Why would you demo any technique were your opponent stands there with his hands by his side. It does not show how to feint,bob or weave , it does not show how to judge distance, it does not show how a true opponent reacts to been struck, it does not show how a true striker would put his body weight/hip movement into a strike, it is complete crap.

Krav Magda has turned into a marketing scam looking for gullible people to pay through the nose for undefeatable self defence techniques!

As anyone who has trained Martial Arts knows the only training that really works is live training against a resisting opponent. Any art that does not train this way is just looking to take your money.

Andrew H wrote: »

Why would anyone demonstrate any strikes that do not work in real life? Why would you demo any technique were your opponent stands there with his hands by his side. It does not show how to feint,bob or weave , it does not show how to judge distance, it does not show how a true opponent reacts to been struck, it does not show how a true striker would put his body weight/hip movement into a strike, it is complete crap.

Krav Magda has turned into a marketing scam looking for gullible people to pay through the nose for undefeatable self defence techniques!

As anyone who has trained Martial Arts knows the only training that really works is live training against a resisting opponent. Any art that does not train this way is just looking to take your money.
    Like I said, I'm not defending KM. in perfectly aware that some of those strikes are impractical for real-life situations.

All I'm saying is that the purpose of the video may be to simply demonstrate the strikes, just the strikes. Is there a problem with that? While I agree that the most reliable test of a technique's effectiveness is to use it in an "alive" situation, I would still think that drilling it 9 times and trying it out once is the way to go. Practise striking on a stationary target, then slowly up the ante. While I agree that demonstrating the strikes without a situational contexts is a bit stupid (apart from the fact that half the strikes are impractical), all I'm saying is is that that may have been the only point if the video.

One does not have to demonstrate a technique against a resisting opponent in order to demonstrate said technique. Jesus, the coach would be dead by the end of the class if every technique were demonstrated against a fully resisting opponent.

Why not demo the strikes with both participants at least in a fighting stance then. At least that would show the techniques from a somewhat real situation and how you would strike around the defenders guard, distance, body movement etc...

No one ever said that the instructor had to show the techniques full power and I would be more worried about the student been dead then the instructor if that was the case in every class :-)

In an alive manner does not mean 100% every time. With the proper sparring gear techniques can be practiced 60%+ every time in a striking class though. First practicing light to get the feel of a technique been shown and then increasing power & resistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement