Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Etiquette Discussion

• 14-06-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

I dont know about you lot..but i had a scenario last night that pi*sed me right off...i was playing a match in a local tournament last night..best of 3 and it was 1-1..deciding leg was a big one for me..i had struggled to hit any scores in the previous 2 legs due to other observers throwing darts on a neighbouring board..i was starting to feel the pressure..i had a guy behind me watching the game..a right c*unt. as i approached the hocky for my first throw..he cracks open a pack of crips!!! he then proceeded to eat the crisps as i settled on the hockey..as i'd prepare to throw he'd stop eating but between throws(each dart thrown) and during my preparation (raising my arm to throw) he'd slowly put his hand in the bag to get another crisp tyring not to make the bag rustle!! which is worse than making the bag rustle as normal!!...man i could have stuck the darts in his neck.

When watching a darts match in progress personally believe you should sit there and say nothing. if someone asks you a question or tries to stike up conversation i believe you should just point to the game and nod politely. what do you guy's think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I dont know about you lot..but i had a scenario last night that pi*sed me right off...i was playing a match in a local tournament last night..best of 3 and it was 1-1..deciding leg was a big one for me..i had struggled to hit any scores in the previous 2 legs due to other observers throwing darts on a neighbouring board..i was starting to feel the pressure..i had a guy behind me watching the game..a right c*unt. as i approached the hocky for my first throw..he cracks open a pack of crips!!! he then proceeded to eat the crisps as i settled on the hockey..as i'd prepare to throw he'd stop eating but between throws(each dart thrown) and during my preparation (raising my arm to throw) he'd slowly put his hand in the bag to get another crisp tyring not to make the bag rustle!! which is worse than making the bag rustle as normal!!...man i could have stuck the darts in his neck.

When watching a darts match in progress personally believe you should sit there and say nothing. if someone asks you a question or tries to stike up conversation i believe you should just point to the game and nod politely. what do you guy's think?

It's "oche"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh.....lol. i know! i had a brain freeze for a sec.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You're right, people making noise can be very off putting and everyone should try and give dart players as much respect as possible when they are throwing.

That being said, you are always going to get distractions wherever you go and whatever tournament you're playing in so you have to develop the ability to block them out and just concentrate on your own darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Not being smart or anything but darts are played in (usually)noisy places ie bars,clubs or larger venues.there is going to be a lot of noise around.i know you were focused in on the one particular noise and that is the problem...you were focused on that noise...you just have to learn to cope with or learn how to blot out the distractions.i've often played against guys who get easily distracted by noise and you just know your going to beat them.i would find a deafening silence much more distracting.
    just my two cents worth;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Kingp35 wrote: »
    You're right, people making noise can be very off putting and everyone should try and give dart players as much respect as possible when they are throwing.

That being said, you are always going to get distractions wherever you go and whatever tournament you're playing in so you have to develop the ability to block them out and just concentrate on your own darts.

You just got there before me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I play in a tournament every thursday in the local. There's money on it so you would expect a bit of respect for the players. BUT there is music blaring from behind you, lads roaring and shouting and people eating crisps. Some of the lads practically stand on top of you while you're throwing and even try talk to you.

Its annoying but you just have to put up with it and try keep your head on the "hocky".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

first and foremost its a public house not a darts house. People who have no interest in the darts can do what they like. Players only focus on this when their not in the zone or lookin for an excuse cause things ain't goin there way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

I'm afraid the lads that replied above are right. You just have to get used to the noise. It is part and parcel of where we play darts...in a pub that has other people in it who are not playing but enjoying a few beers.
    You say that the last leg was a big one for you. Yes it was the deciding leg, but were you putting to much pressure on yourself because of that and ended up focusing on all the distractions aroung you because you were nervous? Was this noise there during the leg you won?
    You dont say how long you have been playing but experience gained over time will enable you to block out distractions 99% of the time.
    Concentrate on your game and not on the background noise.
    Chalk this down to experience and learn from it. If you can do that you are already a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

If people are watching the game and showing respect to both players I think the OP is quite right to be annoyed by some clown eating crisps behind him while watching the game
    In a club league I saw a guy berated for eating a pack of crisps behind both players and rightly so(he was a member of one of the teams and both sets told him to move away), everyone else was quiet and showing respect to both players except for the ignorant prick munching his crisps.

Noise is something you get used too, and its easier to play in a lot of noise than it is to play in practical silence safe for a single crisp muncher right behind you

Advertisement