Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most overrated band?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

In general, not just in Ireland.

This is a companion to the other thread, which only focused on Irish acts.

For me its The Prodigy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

karaokeman wrote: »
    For me its The Prodigy.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

In general, not just in Ireland.

This is a companion to the other thread, which only focused on Irish acts.

For me its The Prodigy.

What?! You have not seen them live. Plus, live performances aside, your view is WRONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Wasn't a fan until I seen them at Slane two years ago, their live show was incredible.

Most over rated bands has to be someone like U2 or Bon Jovi who have sold a lot of albums but musically everything sounds too similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Oasis- never got them-songs are plodding, lyrics are very average (if not below), guitar playing ditto and Liam Gallagher just stands there and whines. **** bass playing and drums too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

Most of the stuff today is overrated, but for me the most underrated is fleetwood mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

autonomy wrote: »
    Most of the stuff today is overrated, but for me the most underrated is fleetwood mac

Peter Green overrated?
    He 's one of THE greatest blues guitar players of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

johntommy wrote: »
    Peter Green overrated?

underrated*

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

johntommy wrote: »
    Peter Green overrated?

Sorry about that. I thought you wrote overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 big jack

I think Elvius Presley. He hasnt put out a decent record since 1977

• Registered Users Posts: 7 big jack

I saw the Prodigy open for Oasis in Cork in 1996...what a load of crap. But Oasis did put on a decent show.
    But,yes thier lyrics are dire ans I always thought the production on their records was very bad. Having said that, they did have their moments.
    In my 'umble opinion the most underrated band were the Stray Cats, loved 'em fanatically with 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 no money mo pro

the Verve were fairly overrated, also a lot of the "brit-pop" stuff and the greatest rapper alive (according to himself and Zane Lowe) Jay/z

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Black Eyed Peas anyone!?

plagiarizer's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

smokedeels wrote: »
    Why?

I just don't find the lyrics to some of their songs appealing.

Eg Outer Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Pete doherty and whatever band he had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Pete doherty and whatever band he had
    The Libertines were pretty good
    autonomy wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac had two seperate era's, the first with Peter Green which is nearly forgotten about. Then with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.. it's almost two different bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Dotsey wrote: »

Fleetwood Mac had two seperate era's, the first with Peter Green which is nearly forgotten about. Then with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.. it's almost two different bands.

On the libertines, A great debut and debut single (what a waster) but their importance isn't as huge as NME would have you believe. Pete doherty has to be one of the most overrated singer songwriters of this genration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

The white stripes for me one or two good albums but that type of music has been done better by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and the gun club. But once again overblown by the music press.

The yeah yeah yeahs another act who get 5 star reviews but just seem very meh to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I just don't find the lyrics to some of their songs appealing.

Eg Outer Space.

I don't think lyrics are meant to be their appeal.

The lyrics for that song borrow heavily from a Max Romeo track, from this album http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Ina_Babylon

The lyrics are metaphorical like most of the album, it's not the strongest song lyrically from that album (I'd go with One Step Forward and the titular track) but they are not as matter-of-fact as I think you're consuming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Verve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Stereophonics. A pub band that got lucky IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For me its The Prodigy.

Brilliant live, plus fat of the land was an excellent album. I'm not too well up on their new stuff though
    the Verve were fairly overrated, also a lot of the "brit-pop" stuff and the greatest rapper alive (according to himself and Zane Lowe) Jay/z

The verve are one of those 1 great album bands, but in fairness it is outstanding.
    Jay-Z, i can't see your point at all - the man is a bona fide musical genius, never mind all the i'm the greatest shít, that's par for the course with rappers. Listen instead to something like meet the parents - it's amazing, one of the best pieces of storytelling put to music you'll ever hear.

For me it has to be pink floyd, especially live - overindullgent, drug fuelled, hippy bullshít at it's finest!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

U2

I'd rather listen to a greased squealing pig in high heels run up a staircase made of chalkboards whilst susan boyle had a particularly bad bout of the squirts in a porcelain cave!

so yeah,

U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dotsey wrote: »

Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitarist himself and his compositions are always left of field. Very underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

grumula wrote: »
    U2

I'd rather listen to a greased squealing pig in high heels run up a staircase made of chalkboards whilst susan boyle had a particularly bad bout of the squirts in a porcelain cave!

so yeah,

U2.

Really? I'd prefer to listen to U2. Funny how different people can be.

As for the topic, I'd go for . . . Muse (I've seen these guys three times live and for all their razzamatazz they are boring with cold, emotionless and similar sounding songs).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Black Eyed Peas for me, although I think most sane people are realising this now. Utter muck. Also, a lot of the new bands trying to be the next Blink 182, all their music seems identical e.g All Time Low, the bull that has Love Drunk etc.

Oh and U2. Shoulda broken up in 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

[QUOTE= As for the topic, I'd go for . . . Muse (I've seen these guys three times live and for all their razzamatazz they are boring with cold, emotionless and similar sounding songs).[/QUOTE]

+1 on that. Muse are phenomenally over-rated. They have a hamster for a front man thats probably what all the hype is about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Has to be Coldplay - dire dross at its worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Bon Jovi and similar shiit. I just don't get it. How can bands like Def Lepperd sing about "not going to school"?
    Why does the bloke in AC/DC still dress as a school kid? Although they're not bad as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

U2 are the most over rated band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Muse are definitely very overrated.

I also think Daft Punk are very overated. I've just never seen anything special about them at all, yet so many people I know think they're fantastic. Any music I've heard by them is ok for maybe 30 seconds but then I get fed up and want to listen to something else. For guys who make strange videos and wear robot costumes, I just find them very dull.

Advertisement