Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most overrated band?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Pink Floyd for me are very overated.Underated band has be Doves some great tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Black Eyed Peas for me, although I think most sane people are realising this now. Utter muck.
    Give their first two albums (Behind the front/Bridging the gap) a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Radiohead, some good songs in the late 90's and nothing worth listening to since.

Queen - never liked them and was always amazed at how popular they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Nolanger wrote: »
    Queen - never liked them and was always amazed at how popular they were.

They were popular and still are because they brought something different to the music industry in the 70's and Freddie Mercury's persona on stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

Muse are definitely very overrated.

Yes indeed.

A sprinkle of decent tunes over a load of generally sh*te albums.

They seem to attract these fans who think they're into some crazy punk band, but Muse are as pop as the Spice Girls.

I feel nothing but pity for fans of this dire band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Pink Floyd
    The Beatles (l love The Beatles, bought the remastered box-set last year but their music is not that much better than anyone else's)
    Jay-Z/50 Cent (if we're talking about more than just bands)
    Nirvana (one good album, two pretty average ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

pink floyd. i have the wall and dark side of the moon which i enjoy but both albums are very over - rated.

muse even thought i like muse i still thonk that they are over - hyped by their fans. yes there amazing live but sex is still better ;)

radiohead are very over - rated they have 2 amazing albums and 2 decent albums the rest are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Oasis - Thank f__k they've disbanded.

Conversely, Parliament/Funkadelic (whichever incarnation) were/are very underrated. They were far and away the best act at Picnic when they were here a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's no such thing as an overrated band; there's only bands one likes and bands one doesn't like.

Just because you listen to, say, a Pink Floyd album and don't like it doesn't mean millions of people have been wrong for the last four decades until you came along with your highly tuned artistic taste and informed them how wrong they were.

I don't like Queen personally (apart from a couple of Brian Mays solos). That doesn't make them overrated, it just means their music doesn't do much for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

The Foo Fighters. I don't see the appeal. In the same class as Nickelback

qwert2 wrote: »
    The Foo Fighters. I don't see the appeal. In the same class as Nickelback
    Wall-Mart rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The Arctic Monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

The Killers - liked mr bright side but that's about it

Guns N Roses.

I like Axel's singing voice but never thought Slash was as good of a guitar player as people make him out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I also think Daft Punk are very overated. I've just never seen anything special about them at all, yet so many people I know think they're fantastic. Any music I've heard by them is ok for maybe 30 seconds but then I get fed up and want to listen to something else. For guys who make strange videos and wear robot costumes, I just find them very dull.

Ah but have you ever seen Daft Punk live? Absolutely amazing or even listened to there alive album?

Elbow absolute muck, gorunds for divorce is a great song but other than that theyd just depress yeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Gorillaz. One or two of their singles are alright I suppose but I've listened to the first two albums and didn't think a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Guns N Roses.

I like Axel's singing voice but never thought Slash was as good of a guitar player as people make him out to be.

That's ridiculous Slash is a brilliant guitarist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

There's no such thing as an overrated band; there's only bands one likes and bands one doesn't like.

Just because you listen to, say, a Pink Floyd album and don't like it doesn't mean millions of people have been wrong for the last four decades until you came along with your highly tuned artistic taste and informed them how wrong they were.

+1 Well said. Never really get involved with threads like this as they are totally pointless music is all about taste as you have pointed out but some of the comments here are hillarious in the extreme. Thanks for the chuckle:D:D

Oasis44 wrote: »

But overrated.

• Advertisement

The clash are laughably overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Brilliant live, plus fat of the land was an excellent album. I'm not too well up on their new stuff though

The verve are one of those 1 great album bands, but in fairness it is outstanding.
    Jay-Z, i can't see your point at all - the man is a bona fide musical genius, never mind all the i'm the greatest shít, that's par for the course with rappers. Listen instead to something like meet the parents - it's amazing, one of the best pieces of storytelling put to music you'll ever hear.

For me it has to be pink floyd, especially live - overindullgent, drug fuelled, hippy bullshít at it's finest!

A Northern Soul? A Storm in Heaven? Or that other one you're probably referring to:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Oasis44 wrote: »

What are you measuring that on? That he plays quickly? Big deal, people have been playing fast guitar for decades. This is music, not sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Nolanger wrote: »
    The clash are laughably overrated.

How? Being a punk band that actually meant something, writing great great songs, pushing their music beyond rock, really thinking outside the box and challenging the ideas around them?

I mean, I'd love to hear your argument, don't just say they're overrated with nothing to back it up.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Being a punk band that actually meant something,

Without saying anything else, that is a highly questionable argument to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Stereophonics. A pub band that got lucky IMO

This song is good for a pub band :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHjDJxkcSE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Kings of Leon. I just don't see why so many people make such a big deal out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Bands being mentioned here like the Kings of Leon, The Killers, Muse, Oasis, etc have all filled out huge arena's, sold millions of singles and get major air time on radio stations. Thus their music is clearly in demand and popular.

You personally might not like their music, which is fine, but it does not make them over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Without saying anything else, that is a highly questionable argument to make.

I'll make it...

The Clash

Musically: No other white punk band – bar maybe PIL – could assimilate dub music into their sound and make a song like “Guns of Brixton” that lacks any sense of imitation.

Politically: No empty observational commentary like Green Day, The Clash told you what was wrong and had ideas to fix it, they could also be subversive, sarcastic and great social critics, they were masters of satire (know your rights, rock the casbah to name a few)

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    The Clash told you what was wrong and had ideas to fix it,

I'm not saying you are wrong but explain this.

Advertisement