Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most overrated band?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

smokedeels wrote: »
    I'll make it...

The Clash

Musically: No other white punk band – bar maybe PIL – could assimilate dub music into their sound and make a song like “Guns of Brixton” that lacks any sense of imitation.

Politically: No empty observational commentary like Green Day, The Clash told you what was wrong and had ideas to fix it, they could also be subversive, sarcastic and great social critics, they were masters of satire (know your rights, rock the casbah to name a few)

Thank you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

autonomy wrote: »
    Most of the stuff today is overrated, but for me the most underrated is fleetwood mac
    johntommy wrote: »
    Peter Green overrated?
    He 's one of THE greatest blues guitar players of all time.
    Dotsey wrote: »
    The Libertines were pretty good

Fleetwood Mac had two seperate era's, the first with Peter Green which is nearly forgotten about. Then with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.. it's almost two different bands.

I always think it's such a shame when you see the attention post-Green Fleetwood mac get, when you consider how amazing they were when he was in the band. For blues/jam music you can't get much better than Peter Green-era FM, too bad they then turned into a template for the Coors when he left
    qwert2 wrote: »
    The Foo Fighters. I don't see the appeal. In the same class as Nickelback

They've always struck me as being real poser-y sort of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm not saying you are wrong but explain this.

They didn’t spew hollow words like “Johnny doesn’t like his government ‘cause war is bad and junk”

They penned lines like “we will teach our twisted speech to the young believers...we will train our blue-eyed men to be young believers" which imo encapsulates perfectly a society fed fear and propaganda via news media to shape a collective outlook.

That’s subjective and I don’t want to get into a discussion about politics, my point is simply this…

The Clash’s political statements weren’t hollow or tailored to capture the zeitgeist like a great deal of “political” bands, they had opinions, well thought out and expressed ones, not empty slogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Kings of Leon.

Every song sounds the same. They're terrible live. They stand there and visibly have no interest in performing or playing a good show.

They've had one or two good songs (around The Bucket era), but ever since Sex on Fire has become THE GREATEST SONG EVER they've become the 'biggest thing' now.

I just don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

TaosHum wrote: »
    Bands being mentioned here like the Kings of Leon, The Killers, Muse, Oasis, etc have all filled out huge arena's, sold millions of singles and get major air time on radio stations. Thus their music is clearly in demand and popular.

You personally might not like their music, which is fine, but it does not make them over-rated.

If they didn't do any of that they wouldn't be discussed thus more than likely they wouldn't be deemed overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Hackysack wrote: »
    Kings of Leon.

Every song sounds the same. They're terrible live. They stand there and visibly have no interest in performing or playing a good show.

I've never a heard "rock" band with the music so low in the mix as The KOL.

Somebody put them on the Jukebox in my local recently and I could barely hear the instruments... just that annoying breaking voice meandering around the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

AC/DC. I f*cking hate them!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

yupyup7up wrote: »
    AC/DC. I f*cking hate them!!! :mad:

Are they overrated because you hate them ?

There is a difference in one hating a band and one thinking that their overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

U2. To me they are not great musicians. Bono gives me ire and the songs sound the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Mumford and Sons. Christ they're bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hackysack wrote: »
    Kings of Leon.

They've had one or two good songs (around The Bucket era), but ever since Sex on Fire has become THE GREATEST SONG EVER they've become the 'biggest thing' now.

I just don't see it.
    I have to say, I did like their Because of the Times album. Only by the Night was aggrevating with its pop-based melodies, and Come Around Sundown is like a completely different band, too mellow. Aha Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times are their two albums worthy of a decent following. Youth and Young Manhood was grand, nothing spectacular.

tl;dr
    Album 3 and 4 were decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

smokedeels wrote: »
    The Clash’s political statements weren’t hollow or tailored to capture the zeitgeist like a great deal of “political” bands, they had opinions, well thought out and expressed ones, not empty slogans.

I like that articulation and fully agree with the sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

ShaneU wrote: »
    Radiohead, some good songs in the late 90's and nothing worth listening to since.

You're talking through your pipe surely! A sparse summation. Underrated really in my opinion, but YOU wouldn't know going on singles I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

big jack wrote: »
    I think Elvius Presley. He hasnt put out a decent record since 1977

That my friend is why I go on boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

Artic Monkeys.

Incredibly overrated with some seriously awful songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

John400 wrote: »
    Artic Monkeys.

You are the proof that some boards.ie members are not only blind but deaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Not a band but 2pac is ridiculosy overrated. Most of his samples were already used by other artists and very few of his tunes would be considered classics. Only one of his albums got into Hip Hop Connection magazine's top 100 list. Yet he's one of the world's most famous rappers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tea Cup

The Black Eyed Peas!!!

Their songs are really catchy and I must admit I really like a lot of them, But they can not sing live. X factor twice was cringe worthy and then last years superbowl SHOCKING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

John400 wrote: »
    Artic Monkeys.

I couldn't agree more.That "I'd bet that you..." song is the only credible track they made.Everything else they have done is hyped up beyond belief by the like of NME,and idiots have bought into for some reason

Rud wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more.That "I'd bet that you..." song is the only credible track they made.Everything else they have done is hyped up beyond belief by the like of NME,and idiots have bought into for some reason

Couldn't be more incorrect if you tried. Your opinion is wrong, get it fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

You're not going to win them any fans with comments like that.

Although I did like Fluorescent adolescent as well as "you look good on the dancefloor" song.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I am very correct and my opinion is right so therefore there is nothing to be fixed.Arctic Monkeys are a very,very poor band who's fans follow them due to the success of their first album and these fans think they are still great because of that one album but the reality of it is,they havn't been able to follow up that success and only because EMI keep pushing them up the bills of major festivals and such,they remain in the public eye.Eventually they will only fade in obscurity over time because the songs just ain't there to keep their longevity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

*Sigh* I really hate these kind of threads as they never end well. We all know opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. If someone reckons your favourite band is overrated, don't sweat it!

duty_calls.png

Jackobyte wrote: »

Although I did like Fluorescent adolescent as well as "you look good on the dancefloor" song.

It's absolutely their loss though. I'm merely kicking them while they are down.

Jackobyte wrote: »

Win them fans? I'm not trying to win them anything. I'm merely looking for a rise out of the boards.ie clan for my own pathetic amusement. It's always obtainable!

Rud wrote: »
    I am very correct and my opinion is right so therefore there is nothing to be fixed.Arctic Monkeys are a very,very poor band who's fans follow them due to the success of their first album and these fans think they are still great because of that one album but the reality of it is,they havn't been able to follow up that success and only because EMI keep pushing them up the bills of major festivals and such,they remain in the public eye.Eventually they will only fade in obscurity over time because the songs just ain't there to keep their longevity

You can go to any ER and they will sort that out. Don't worry man, you'll soon conform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Are they overrated because you hate them ?

There is a difference in one hating a band and one thinking that their overrated.

no they are overrated because a lot of people think they are brilliant when they aren't IMO. how good a band are is all relative to peoples taste so they are overrated in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's the decade they came from was so bad for music that the press had to hype up a band so they picked the Artic Monkeys. If they came out in the '80s they would have been like the Mighty Lemon Drops and completely forgotten by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

White Stripes were incredibly overrated. Also, anything else that mags like NME hype up such as Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers and The Libertines (actually anything featuring Pete Doherty).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

White Stripes were incredibly overrated.

Wisdom.

Advertisement