Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most overrated band?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Rud wrote: »
    a very,very poor band who's fans follow them due to the success of their first album and these fans think they are still great because of that one album but the reality of it is,they havn't been able to follow up that success and only because EMI keep pushing them up the bills of major festivals and such,they remain in the public eye.Eventually they will only fade in obscurity over time because the songs just ain't there to keep their longevity

Sounds very familiar. Franz Ferdinand anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Smashing pumpkins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Depeche Mode, baring one good song are plain rubbish.

Bob Dylan, Zzzzzzz...

The Strokes, The Zutons, The Kooks, The Libertines and all other 4 chord tricksters should be thankful that there is very little talent these days to prevent them form some notoriety.

Metallica, terrible.

Morrissey, although The Smiths were genius, should have called it a day long ago.

Muse, yeah right.

The winner though by a huge margin has to go to Prince. Hes pointless in every way.

Under rated - The Doves, ELO, Supertramp, Qotsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I can't believe someone with the username Oasis_Dublin is actually posting on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

TaosHum wrote: »
    Bands being mentioned here like the Kings of Leon, The Killers, Muse, Oasis, etc have all filled out huge arena's, sold millions of singles and get major air time on radio stations. Thus their music is clearly in demand and popular.

You personally might not like their music, which is fine, but it does not make them over-rated.

Yes except over-rated probably boils down to meaning hugely successful bands that you don't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

smokedeels wrote: »
    The Clash’s political statements weren’t hollow or tailored to capture the zeitgeist like a great deal of “political” bands, they had opinions, well thought out and expressed ones, not empty slogans.

Breaking a string on guitars before gigs so they could go out looking "punk" :)

I'm a big fan of their stuff but they tailored themselves something rotten, literally... they had their clobber done by designers lol

greendom wrote: »
    Yes except over-rated probably boils down to meaning hugely successful bands that you don't like.

Well lets face it, the nature of OP's original question is only gonna recieve a subjective opinion, so join the fun.

greendom wrote: »

There are plenty of successful bands I don't like that I don't feel are overrated. I'm posting this watching Beyonce in Glastonbury on the telly...the fact that she's performing in her knickers may be clouding my judgement somewhat.

If you think you should like them but can't Fu*king stand them they are probably overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

stimpson wrote: »
    I can't believe someone with the username Oasis_Dublin is actually posting on this thread.

Bit harsh on Dublin, probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the country. God, I'm hilarious.

The whole idea of this thread is mindlessly stupid. Which is the most overrated band? What a ridiculous question. Anyone who takes it seriously needs to be mocked until they cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

guitarzero wrote: »
    Depeche Mode, baring one good song are plain rubbish.

Bob Dylan, Zzzzzzz...

The Strokes, The Zutons, The Kooks, The Libertines and all other 4 chord tricksters should be thankful that there is very little talent these days to prevent them form some notoriety.

Metallica, terrible.

Morrissey, although The Smiths were genius, should have called it a day long ago.

Muse, yeah right.
    The winner though by a huge margin has to go to Prince. Hes pointless in every way.

Metallica terrible ????????????????? no wonder your called guitar zero by the way most underrated band ever has to be aslan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I agree with that point.Doves and Q.O.T.S.A. are seriously under rated.They have made and remain producing some quality music,especially the Queens

rock chic wrote: »
    Metallica terrible ????????????????? no wonder your called guitar zero by the way most underrated band ever has to be aslan

I'd rather listen to road works than Metallica, Id probably be unable to distinguish one from the other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dunno if the definition of overrated is a band who sells gazillions while making f**k all effort and rehashing the same ideas then metallica are up there

the way most underrated band ever has to be aslan

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Bob Dylan, Zzzzzzz...

Only the best lyricist who ever lived and arguably the most talented and prodigious musician ever to work in popular music. Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Bob Dylan, Zzzzzzz....

yeah right, so I suppose all these artists are overrated as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭All about Eve

Radiohead- so boring and deopressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Beethoven... I don't get the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Radiohead- so boring and deopressing

The second and 3rd albums were right up my street. I can see where you're coming from with depressing but the musicianship is brilliant - boring - no chance !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Classical comPOSER John Adams is so overrated he must be in the Freemasons? Ripped off the older minimalist composers and added nothing new. His music is one step above Hollywood soundtracks yet he is one of the most acclaimed living composers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Surely The Coronas belong here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Nolanger wrote: »
    Classical comPOSER John Adams is so overrated he must be in the Freemasons? Ripped off the older minimalist composers and added nothing new. His music is one step above Hollywood soundtracks yet he is one of the most acclaimed living composers!

There are two American minimalist composers called John Adams, which one do you mean? Hopefully not the one who did Shaker Loops ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Surely The Coronas belong here too?

Nah, you would first have to be actually rated to then be overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

by the way most underrated band ever has to be aslan

you're obviously not from the northside of Dublin then? totally over-rated where i'm from

also U2... clowns except Larry he's alright - you can tell he hates the rest of them

time4tea wrote: »
    you're obviously not from the northside of Dublin then? totally over-rated where i'm from

also U2... clowns except Larry he's alright - you can tell he hates the rest of them

*waves*

Hi Larry!

Auvers wrote: »
    yeah right, so I suppose all these artists are overrated as well

That's entirely irrelevant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You are the proof that some boards.ie members are not only blind but deaf

you are the proof that some boards.ie members can't understand that not everyone will agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

The Kills. I saw them on Live at Abbey Rd one night and assumed that someone thought they were booking Las Vegas Band The Killers. They were truely awful. He couldn't play guitar and she couldn't sing. Imagine my astonishment when I saw them booked for Glastonbury........ once again I fear someone thought they were booking The Killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

That's entirely irrelevant.

how so?

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    you are the proof that some boards.ie members can't understand that not everyone will agree with them.

It was a paraphrasing of the band in question :confused: (sorry, I forgot monkeys' detractors have only heard "Dancefloor..." and "Brick by Brick."

Not to worry though, all the pretty visitors have long since been and waived their hands about it.

Advertisement