Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the most overrated band?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Auvers wrote: »
    how so?

A band covering an artist that is over rated does not make that band overrated themselves. I like Bob Dylan but that list is completely and utterly irrelevant.

As I've said before, the whole idea of this thread is really stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

A band covering an artist that is over rated does not make that band overrated themselves. I like Bob Dylan but that list is completely and utterly irrelevant..

fair enough but that's not the point I was making though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

As I've said before, the whole idea of this thread is really stupid.

Says the biggest troll in the thread?

El Pr0n wrote: »

It's moronic. Overrated according to who or what? "i dnt like da artic munkees cos dey only hv dat one gud danceflore song nd den da rst of der music is crap." These type of idiots whose opinions are not in anyway considered are asking for it. If you (the OP, not you El Pr0n) don't want people to criticise other's opinions, then don't start the thread. You (the OP, not you El Pr0n) invite people like me to come in and take the mick out of it. The third post is a "someone else's opinion is wrong" so it was never going to work.

Also, please do not accuse me of trolling just because I don't adhere to lazy opinions on my favourite bands. It brings the whole topic into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

El Pr0n wrote: »

He's subverting it from the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If you don't like a thread no one is forcing you to post in it. I agree that this thread has a premise that's only going to result in arguments and it got off to a terrible start by listing The Prodigy as overrated but what happens if people don't post in the thread? It disappears off the front page and is quickly forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's moronic. These type of idiots whose opinions are not in anyway considered are asking for it.

yet this is your considered opinion on the Beatles?
    Pink Floyd
    The Beatles (l love The Beatles, bought the remastered box-set last year but their music is not that much better than anyone else's)

Reminds me of this:

stimpson wrote: »
    yet this is your considered opinion on the Beatles?

Reminds me of this:

Yeah, obviously not considered. I only have all the albums, what would I know.:rolleyes:
    Aaaaanyway, I'd post up Chris Morris' intro to Animals to describe your opinion but I'd only be given a slap on the wrist for putting you in your place. Thanks for trying though.

Yeah, obviously not considered. I only have all the albums, what would I know.:rolleyes:
    Aaaaanyway, I'd post up Chris Morris' intro to Animals to describe your opinion but I'd only be given a slap on the wrist for putting you in your place. Thanks for trying though.

Lol. A considered opinion would have sounded like this: "The Beatles were, historically, a very important band. Without them, Oasis wouldn't have anyone to copy."

Lol. A considered opinion would have sounded like this: "The Beatles were, historically, a very important band. Without them, Oasis wouldn't have anyone to copy."

That's not in anyway considered. It's clichéd and highly unoriginal. How ironic; your opinion of Oasis is a giant cliché. Appears to be totally lost on you as well. :) My point is proven. Thanks lad.

• Advertisement

That's not in anyway considered. It's clichéd and highly unoriginal. How ironic; your opinion of Oasis is a giant cliché.

:eek: Nobody seems to have told Liam...

:eek: Nobody seems to have told Liam...

Wow, Liam Gallagher admits he has taken inspiration from John Lennon. I no longer consider Definitely Maybe to be a near (Digsy's Dinner) perfect album. Same with the superior follow up. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Still, you seem to be on the same intellectual level as Liam Gallagher when it comes to music. That's highly amusing.:cool:

Still, you seem to be on the same intellectual level as Liam Gallagher when it comes to music. That's highly amusing.:cool:

Hardly. :rolleyes:

Apart from being indirectly responsible for Oasis, they also foisted Paul McCartney on the world. Lennon had his moments but most of his solo stuff was self indulgent shite. And they gave us fcuking Thomas the Tank engine. Harrison was the real brains of the operation as his solo work proves. n

The only thing I agree with Liam on was the fact that they were the "inspiration" for Oasis. I remember hearing Beady Eye for the first time, not knowing who they were and thinking FFS - not another Beatles clone.

Apart from being indirectly responsible for Oasis, they also foisted Paul McCartney on the world. Lennon had his moments but most of his solo stuff was self indulgent shite. And they gave us fcuking Thomas the Tank engine. Harrison was the real brains of the operation as his solo work proves. n

The only thing I agree with Liam on was the fact that they were the "inspiration" for Oasis. I remember hearing Beady Eye for the first time, not knowing who they were and thinking FFS - not another Beatles clone.

I'll have Paul McCartney if it means getting albums like Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers and (most of) Please Please Me. John Lennon's solo stuff is not The Beatles so that's irrelevant.

Beady Eye take the Beatles inspiration to levels that Noel never would have dared with Oasis. That said, Liam is by far the inferior Gallagher brother (not including our Paul!) and you couldn't expect anything better from him. Looking forward to God's solo album due out in the Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Harrison was the real brains of the operation as his solo work proves.

You simply don't know what you are talking about.That's a fact besides,not an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

It was a paraphrasing of the band in question :confused: (sorry, I forgot monkeys' detractors have only heard "Dancefloor..." and "Brick by Brick."

Not to worry though, all the pretty visitors have long since been and waived their hands about it.

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Anyway with regards to over rated bands I'm gonna have to go for U2. A few good songs but hardly the greatest band in the world.

Looking forward to God's solo album due out in the Autumn.

I didn't realise he was actually God. You'd think he'd be taller.

I didn't realise he was actually God. You'd think he'd be taller.

I thought everyone knew God is from Burnage Manchester, and is ethnically Irish. I'm pretty certain that's in the bible somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I thought everyone knew God is from Burnage Manchester, and is ethnically Irish. I'm pretty certain that's in the bible somewhere.

Pfft, he's not God, he's only a false prophet. God is also from Manchester and ethnically Irish though

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Pfft, he's not God, he's only a false prophet. God is also from Manchester and ethnically Irish though

Damn straight, he believes that Chinese people are a sub species of human being!

Seriously though, The Smiths would have been a far less important band if it wasn't for the insanely good guitar playing of one Johnny Maher (or Marr).

• Advertisement

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Pete doherty and whatever band he had

Completely disagree.
    The Libertines are amazing.

And for me, the most overrated band has to be U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Malice wrote: »
    If you don't like a thread no one is forcing you to post in it. I agree that this thread has a premise that's only going to result in arguments and it got off to a terrible start by listing The Prodigy as overrated but what happens if people don't post in the thread? It disappears off the front page and is quickly forgotten about.

My apologies I really didn't realise I would be the cause of much of the bitching in this thread.

But people calling U2 overrated is for me what calling The Prodigy overrated is to most Prodigy fans.

U2 are possibly the most gifted band to ever come out of Ireland. Bono is also underrated as a singer. People say he can't sing but he's certainly not the worst to come out of Ireland as we've seen with the likes of Boyzone, B*Witched and so fort. Not all Irish singers are that talented.

The Edge also is a great guitarist in my opinion, unique style and most of all himself and Bono are two of the best rock writers I've ever heard.

I could go on but this thread has had enough of U2 already. I respect people who love The Prodigy and I too believe they are a talented band. I've never said they were crap but for me they are not "as good" as many others see them.

On a lighter note, which will hopefully get less snobbery Justin Bieber is overrated.

karaokeman wrote: »
    My apologies I really didn't realise I would be the cause of much of the bitching in this thread.

But people calling U2 overrated is for me what calling The Prodigy overrated is to most Prodigy fans.

U2 are possibly the most gifted band to ever come out of Ireland. Bono is also underrated as a singer. People say he can't sing but he's certainly not the worst to come out of Ireland as we've seen with the likes of Boyzone, B*Witched and so fort. Not all Irish singers are that talented.

The Edge also is a great guitarist in my opinion, unique style and most of all himself and Bono are two of the best rock writers I've ever heard.

I could go on but this thread has had enough of U2 already. I respect people who love The Prodigy and I too believe they are a talented band. I've never said they were crap but for me they are not "as good" as many others see them.

On a lighter note, which will hopefully get less snobbery Justin Bieber is overrated.

I think he were probably talking to me mate, knowwhatimean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

god is liam gallagher and mani is the Mancunian messiah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

ricero wrote: »
    god is liam gallagherian brown (or even morrissey) and mani is the Mancunian messiah

FYP;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭James400

John400 wrote: »
    Artic Monkeys.

Incredibly overrated with some seriously awful songs.
    Agreed.

I know a lot of people who just can't figure out why they're relevant.

Moumentally overrated- very average tracks combined with god awful singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭James400

And for me, the most overrated band has to be U2.
    Artic Monkeys win the most overrated band by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Lostprophets are nu-metal/emo clones who add nothing new to the genres they're imitating yet are more successful than the superior bands they copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

James400 wrote: »
    Artic Monkeys win the most overrated band by a country mile.

sorry to disagree with you James but there one of the better bands of the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone remember JJ72? Thought not.

Advertisement