Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really need help

• 14-06-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

i want to buy a server for all my games and documents because my pc and laptop are full but what i really want to know is my uncle owns a bussiness and his computer is full i want to know when i get my server and set up a domain can his computer connect to my domain over the internet so he can have storage for all files and pictures and have his company a place on my server his company is only small with like 5 or 6 people and i dont want anything like vnc sh1t i live in ireland and he lives in england so plz help ps i will probely get windows server 2008 foundation and if i can do it i might also set up blackberry enterprise server because my uncle and his workers all have blackberrys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

how are you going to secure your connection between your server and your uncles workstations?

are you able to setup VPN connections between your uncles site and your domain to ensure some sort of security?

how are you going to manage backups of your uncles files?

what sort of bandwith has broadband connection got?

I think you would be better off advising your uncle to use some sort of cloud based storage solution

and then buying a NAS box for your own home use

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

1 i can use a vpn connection
    2 i could use a certificate
    3 i will bring a portable hard drive over

okay just a few more questions to make sure you have thought this through

but what about backups? where are you going to store them offsite?

what bandwidth is your internet connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

is this "the joke of the day" topic ??! :)

rolion wrote: »
    is this "the joke of the day" topic ??! :)

hehehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

It doesn't sound like a good idea on any level really. Tell your uncle to invest in a server/nas for storage and a reliable backup system for himself and keep your own gaming/file server for yourself.

Advertisement