Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unknown lights over devils bit!?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Bit

2 unknown lights seen over the devils bit 13th june between 11pm to 1am...just wondering was anyone else in the area!? i was in the area at that time.
    could it be a unknown hotspot!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

I saw a bright star like light traverse the sky last night, it wasn't an airplane or a shooting star, too fast for one and too slow for the other, I would guess it was a satelite of some description however it would be good to get a better look just in case it's a UFO, would a good pair of binoculars be any use or would the object be too far away and you would just see a brighter light, does anyway have any experience of viewing unknown object with any kind of optical aid and if they are any help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

yammycat wrote: »
    I saw a bright star like light traverse the sky last night, it wasn't an airplane or a shooting star, too fast for one and too slow for the other, I would guess it was a satelite of some description however it would be good to get a better look just in case it's a UFO, would a good pair of binoculars be any use or would the object be too far away and you would just see a brighter light, does anyway have any experience of viewing unknown object with any kind of optical aid and if they are any help ?
    I would say you prob saw the ISS last night.

Ziycon wrote: »

was that goin over, it was quite bright, brighter than any star and brighter than any satelite i've seen, it was about 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

There was also a very bright Iridium satellite pass over Dublin at 4:17 AM after the ISS passed at 3:31 if thats any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Ziycon, could that be at least one of these lights seen between 11 and 1!?

i had notting with me at that time..i had just finished on the bog while having a smoke and just having a look up as ya do, seen a blue light on the move notting wonderful about it. it passed under another bright star{ which didn't move},so at the time i believed it to be a star until it took off in the direction of the devils bit...we followed it by car {it just happened to move in the direction we were heading home in}.
    ''The devils bit'' nice place for a skywatch non the less!?

• Advertisement

Gremlin wrote: »
    There was also a very bright Iridium satellite pass over Dublin at 4:17 AM after the ISS passed at 3:31 if thats any help.

that must have been it, thats pretty much the exact time i saw it, it was heading south easterly from northwestish

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

The ISS had 3 passes last night at approx: 23:45, 01:25 and 02:55

EDIT: just checked the OP date, not sure about ISS passes for that date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

murrayp4 wrote: »
    The ISS had 3 passes last night at approx: 23:45, 01:25 and 02:55

EDIT: just checked the OP date, not sure about ISS passes for that date
    Just checked there, I'm not so sure about it being the ISS myself now, possibly the Iridium satellite pass mentioned by Gremlin.

@yammycat
    What time did you see it at?

@jonbravo
    Can you tell me what time you saw these lights and roughly what direction you where looking in and also what direction these seemed to move from to?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Chaps a good site for satellite identification and timings etc is http://www.heavens-above.com. Just register (for free) with your latitude and longitude. There are some cool tools there. In particular, I suggest get the timings to see the ISS and Iridium satellites and then go outside and see if the reality fits your recollection of the event. Thats theonly way you'll know for sure.

@jonbravo
    Can you tell me what time you saw these lights and roughly what direction you where looking in and also what direction these seemed to move from to?
    i was looking and standing to the south, the bright light was moving north west direction...more or less west in my view at the time...i was using the devils bit as a view point!! the time was 12:10am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

jonbravo wrote: »
    so at the time i believed it to be a star until it took off in the direction of the devils bit...we followed it by car {it just happened to move in the direction we were heading home in}.
    ''The devils bit'' nice place for a skywatch non the less!?

did it actually change direction completely?

you reminded me of something i saw a few months back.

id stepped out the back puttin out the trash, stopped to have a look up and just remembered thinking how unusually bright venus was, when i looked up again i really couldnt figure out what i was seeing.. then 'it' suddenly started moving west towards clare over galway bay and wobbled left and right on its trajectory, stopped again then went off in another direction. i assumed it was the ISS at first, but not after the way it moved and the fact that it was completely stationary when i i first saw it.. it was also blue in colour.

dyer wrote: »
    did it actually change direction completely?

you reminded me of something i saw a few months back.

id stepped out the back puttin out the trash, stopped to have a look up and just remembered thinking how unusually bright venus was, when i looked up again i really couldnt figure out what i was seeing.. then 'it' suddenly started moving west towards clare over galway bay and wobbled left and right on its trajectory, stopped again then went off in another direction. i assumed it was the ISS at first, but not after the way it moved and the fact that it was completely stationary when i i first saw it.. it was also blue in colour.
    yes it actually changed direction dyer, thats when i looked for flashing lights or other signs - i never just think alien or anything...having said that i didn't think of the ISS at the time, that would explan the blue light i seen in my view.
    i know the blue light you seen is different.

maybe not! as far as im aware, the ISS is not liable to take sharp turns and change its direction? when i say blue.. it was more like a white light with a strong blue hue around its edges. when it was stationary it looked like your average star/planet which i presumed was venus at the time, only much brighter, or should i say, it had more brilliance about it..my heart jumped when it started to move.

dyer wrote: »
    maybe not! as far as im aware, the ISS is not liable to take sharp turns and change its direction? when i say blue.. it was more like a white light with a strong blue hue around its edges. when it was stationary it looked like your average star/planet which i presumed was venus at the time, only much brighter, or should i say, it had more brilliance about it..my heart jumped when it started to move.

Do you skywatch often dyer!?

I don't report things like this,if at all and maybe i should in future...i skywatch from time to time and these lights can be seen at least every 16 to 18 mouths from my own view point.
    The ufo research association of ireland is the place to report things of this nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I seen something simular near the sugarloaf one night. There were two lights in the sky,very bright. I thought they were ontop of a crane but then they were gone. Well freaky.

jonbravo wrote: »
    Do you skywatch often dyer!?

I don't report things like this,if at all and maybe i should in future...i skywatch from time to time and these lights can be seen at least every 16 to 18 mouths from my own view point.
    The ufo research association of ireland is the place to report things of this nature.

i do spend some time watching the skies when im at home out in the country, not much point when you're in the city unfortunately.. one of the few things i do miss about the country is bein able to see the milkyway on a good night! been meaning to educate myself on more constellations and such but havent gotten off my arse yet :) one of my biggest dreams would be to see the sky with all of the worlds lights turned off..

just checking out that site now, there was hardly anything on it when i first came across it.. glad to see it growing, and glad to see a place irish people can start to engage this subject. used to report sightings to the astronomy website of ireland but they never acknowledged them.

Advertisement